Hazard lights on in reverse gear

I’ve been looking at different video that people have done with VCDS regarding light functions.

After a quick search about, I don’t see anything useful.

so the question is, can it be done and how do I go about having a go myself...at the moment I’ve only followed other people’s guides.

how do the adaptations work?

whats the do’s and dont’s?

Many pointers are very much appreciated 

thank you fine forum folks

• Confused 1

• 5 years later...

Hello! I believe that hazards blinking when reversing makes a lot of sense, because it makes the car more visible, especially nowadays when engines are quieter and most kids walk with their eyes down to their phone and ears plugged with max noise. Blinking could/should be more easy to see - plus I don't find any norm forbidding it..

Anyways, this is the only coding (VDCS/ODB11) discussion I have found on this topic.

Is there a coding/adaptation that controls the hazard lights? Can it be done enabling the turning signals when reverse gear is engaged?

Fair enough about it being a good idea but the 'norm' in the UK usually has to do with the Highway Code.

The Hazard switch is right there to press once you check the way is clear and you want to reverse.

You might not want Hazards on every time you reverse, just like Front Fogs should not be coming on every time someone selects reverse as some cars have.  There is a front Fog light switch if someone needs to light the way in front when reversing.  Or put full beam on.

A Bleeping noise is more useful for the blind or visually impaired when a silent car is reversing like an EV or a Hybrid.  

There is nothing that helps those with their nose in a phone or head in earphones, a flashing beacon might make no difference.

• Like 2

In our Road Code there is not a specific ban on using hazard lights when reversing and I do that every time manually - moreover, heavy trucks and machinery have that feature autoenabled, including sound signals and I don't see why lighter vehicles wouldn't.

I, for one, would gladly add an extra safety for pedestrians and I would also look for means to activate also the sound actuator when reversing but my car lacks one.

Anyway, if there is a coding referring directly to the hazard lights please be so kind as to share it.