Change or buy?

JohnK

Morning :) 

In 2015 I had some great advice on here about swapping my aging Octavia 1.9TDi estate for a 1.4TSi Hatchback on a 0% finance deal.

I made the switch, and haven't regretted it. My SE hatch came with some nice additional features for free (e.g. auto lights and heated seats), and returns a real MPG almost as good and in some cases better than my old car. My sole regret was not getting an estate instead, as a few times a year I have to load the car to the gills and could really have done with flat-folding seats and the extra height at the back.

The PCP finishes next May, but the dealership has asked me if I want to change early. I'm due to go in tomorrow for a chat about what deals they can offer.

My choices boil down to this:

- Changing to an estate. I'm thinking the 1.0 TSi SE manual, as I hear really good things about the engine and I've found some very good deals on Carwow and elsewhere I can use for bargaining. Additionally, I've only put 23k on the clock, which is 7k less than my allowance for three years, so there's a good residual value in the car.

- Keeping the 1.4TSi and planning to buy it next May, solving the space issue with roof bars and a box. The final payment is only just over £6k, and I can find that without a problem.

Thoughts? I was disappointed to see the SE Technology wasn't available with a £2.5k deposit contribution, but beggars and choosers :)

Check you can live with a 1.0tsi. After living with the rather super 1.4 tsi, one of VW's best lumps, you may find the 1.0tsi lacking, particularly in low down torque. Check its noise suits you. If you are a quick driver that uses performance, the 1.0tsi may return disappointing economy, particularly on the heavier estate.

Do this before your negotiations at least you can use "doubts" to help lower the price.

• Thanks 1

I haven't test driven anything yet. I'll make sure to ask about the new filters.

The reality is that I'm not a fast driver, so I may do well with the 1.0l engine. However, I will definitely take the advice about its limitations into account when I'm test driving the cars. I'm certainly not buying a 1.0l estate without test driving one first.

Edited by JohnK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

They will be wanting to shift dealer or group stock, pre registered is my guess limiting your choice.

My mate had the same offer in August for an 18 plate with 11 miles on it.

Highly likely. I popped in at lunch a few days ago, and they were talking up a black L&K Estate that I believe was pre-registered. I'm not interested at all, but I don't think they realised that :)

Whatever you decide to do, buy the car you want, not what the dealer wants you to buy? You obviously love your cars, otherwise you wouldn’t frequent this site. 

Buy what you want as If you purchase what the dealer suggests, you will never like the L&K as much as your own choice. I was talked into buying a VW Polo which was in stock rather than my own specced up car. It was the wrong colour and turned out to be a heap of junk that I tried to reject. 

Now Im back in an Octavia and whilst a pre reg purchase has a spec I am happy with. 

If you want a 1.0TSi estate get that, in the colour and spec you want. If it takes months to be delivered, so be it. At the end of the day, it’s your money to spend how you choose. 

^^^ This :) I am looking forward to buying a new car and specifying it myself one day as the only new car I bought was the Citigo which was the one in the showroom and I am very happy with it but I’d have liked a slightly better spec. The Octy was used and is in almost every way the perfect spec but I really can’t gel with the colour. It’s the least important aspect for me but it’d be nice to be in the position to chose any colour on an equal basis rather than choosing between different used cars with different merits along with the colours. There are still some 1.4’s in group stock on 18 plates but there is also the 1.5 TSi to consider but beware the exaggerated pull away assist issue present on some manual 1.5’s.

I'm soley interested in the PCH market and my dealer for the second time running has done well to match deals I've found else where and sorted me out.

£2000 down and £99 a month for a 1.0tsi DSG in red ;) can't wait 

I think there's been a misunderstanding: the entire point is that I won't be pushed into buying anything :)

I went in today, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. The salesman I was supposed to meet with was busy with other people, so a new chap dealt with me. He was perfectly pleasant and very professional, but stock levels aren't that high and they didn't have a 1.0TSi I could test drive. They are getting a Karoq with that engine in tomorrow for me to test, but I don't think it'll be a good reflection of how the engine is in an Octavia Estate body.

Also, they can't get a car with the extra options I have in my current vehicle; at least, not without ordering it. There is a 1.0TSi SE Estate in stock, but it being a new car, I can't test it.

So a bit disappointing really. I popped into the Kia dealership next door and had a much more positive experience. I'll be trying a couple of their vehicles later in the week, and I'll see what I think.

But the reality is it looks increasingly like I'll stick with my current car and just buy a roofbox for those occasional journeys where I need to fill the car up.

Thanks for the replies so far. More advice gratefully received :)

35 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

I'm soley interested in the PCH market and my dealer for the second time running has done well to match deals I've found else where and sorted me out.

£2000 down and £99 a month for a 1.0tsi DSG in red ;) can't wait 

That sounds incredibly good value. What's the spec and other details of the deal, if you don't mind my asking?

When I first read your requirements I would advise you to keep your current car and pay off the balance as you seem happy with the spec, engine and colour and only rarely do you need the extra flexibility of the estate, rather than all the time. The 1.4Tsi is a very good engine having averaged 50mpg in a 2016 Superb. The 1.5Tsi in our Karoq does suffer the Kangaroo effect in manual form but is even quieter than the Superb and just as economical which was a nice surprise, giving 550miles from the small 50 litre tank.:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 22/09/2018 at 10:53, JohnK said:

My sole regret was not getting an estate instead, as a few times a year I have to load the car to the gills and could really have done with flat-folding seats and the extra height at the back.

I realise this is too late, but to get the flat load space I believe you'd need the Variable Boot Floor, which wasn't standard on the SE. (Unless that's changed?)  Or maybe it's one of the extra options you mention?

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I first read your requirements I would advise you to keep your current car and pay off the balance as you seem happy with the spec, engine and colour and only rarely do you need the extra flexibility of the estate, rather than all the time. The 1.4Tsi is a very good engine having averaged 50mpg in a 2016 Superb. The 1.5Tsi in our Karoq does suffer the Kangaroo effect in manual form but is even quieter than the Superb and just as economical which was a nice surprise, giving 550miles from the small 50 litre tank.:biggrin:

My experiences today have made me think this is probably the better option. After all, a roofbox and bars aren't that expensive :)

9 minutes ago, DavidY said:

I realise this is too late, but to get the flat load space I believe you'd need the Variable Boot Floor, which wasn't standard on the SE. (Unless that's changed?)  Or maybe it's one of the extra options you mention?

Not too late at all, and something I should have mentioned above. Thanks for bringing it up :)

My old Estate was a 56 plate Ambiente. I could either flip the rear seat cushions forwards or even remove them completely to get a lovely flat loading space.

When I bought the hatch and found I couldn't do that, I assumed it was an Estate-only feature. I rummaged around in an estate today to find that this isn't a standard feature any more, as you say.

Regards fuel consumption,1.0 manual hatch 48mpg all day long local computing lots of big hills ,b roads ,suburban/town driving.

That's driving spiritedly 3/4 up without any regard to economy daft figures are easily attainable if one tries(see learner driver mpg post of mine).

1.0 is full stop remarkable and is more than adequate for normal driving again coming from someone after a long line of "performance"diesels,the only hint of what's under the bonnet is don't try and pull 2nd gear at 14 kph,and the different (nice) noise which is only evident if you drive its nuts off and occasionally you will feel the inherent engine imbalance ticking over when stone cold.

I imagine the DSG suits it very well but looking on here I wouldn't have a DSG box of any variety in my way.

15 hours ago, JohnK said:

That sounds incredibly good value. What's the spec and other details of the deal, if you don't mind my asking?

That's with the SE Tech spec and in Corrida Red. 

My wife has a 0.9tce Renault and really surprised what that 90bhp engine can achieve, so expectations of the 1.0 is similar to that. May struggle with over taking (i.e. i'm used to being able to drop a few gears and off I go with the 1.4)  etc but otherwise everything else should be fairly similar. 

• Thanks 1

I'm reading this thread thinking to myself... Wow, you guys have a 1.0 in the Octavia, our Fabia gets that engine and it's just enough for me. I have an Octavia 1.4tsi and sometimes would like a bit of extra pull, especially on the mountainous drives.

Not even the Rapid is equipped with a 1.0 3 pot. Rapid here gets a 1.2 4 banger with 92kw.

Just check you can live with the reported low speed low torque/tractability of the 1.0tsi. Coming from a 1.4tsi, it may take a little getting used, pulling away requiring more concentration according to some members.

That's why it's important to road test something close to your requirements, to avoid frustration or disappointment when it's too late...

Most people with the existing 1.0tsi Octavia laud its capabilities and economy (relative to capacity) so I think that the OP would probably be ok with performance that betters the old 1.9pd in straight out acceleration and not dissimilar economy.

However reading the WLTP thread in the Karoq section they are discussing the relatively low performance published for the new gpf 1.0tsi engine compared to the old.

I do remember a couple of manufacturers saying that small turbo direct injection engines would find it  harder to meet nox requirements compared to larger capacities when the WLTP protocols and emissions standards were announced. Maybe the newer 1.5tsi which had exactly the same power and torque as the previous 1.4tsi is a direct result of this?

Guess we won't know the true effects until testers and owners get their hand on them.

Edited by Gerrycan

19 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Most people with the existing 1.0tsi Octavia laud its capabilities and economy (relative to capacity) so I think that the OP would probably be ok with performance that betters the old 1.9pd in straight out acceleration and not dissimilar economy.

However reading the WLTP thread in the Karoq section they are discussing the relatively low performance published for the new gpf 1.0tsi engine compared to the old.

I do remember a couple of manufacturers saying that small turbo direct injection engines would find it  harder to meet nox requirements compared to larger capacities when the WLTP protocols and emissions standards were announced. Maybe the newer 1.5tsi which had exactly the same power and torque as the previous 1.4tsi is a direct result of this?

Guess we won't know the true effects until testers and owners get their hand on them.

The Chinese market is massive and road tax jumps markedly after 1.5litres so many manufacturers have used this loophole in their regs think Ford going from 1.4 and 1.6 to 1.5 as has the VW Group.:notme:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Felvo said:

I'm reading this thread thinking to myself... Wow, you guys have a 1.0 in the Octavia, our Fabia gets that engine and it's just enough for me. I have an Octavia 1.4tsi and sometimes would like a bit of extra pull, especially on the mountainous drives.

Not even the Rapid is equipped with a 1.0 3 pot. Rapid here gets a 1.2 4 banger with 92kw.

I've had the Fabia 1.0TSi 95PS 5 speed for two weeks and the Octavia 1.0TSi 115PS 6 speed for two weeks.

As well as the extra power the 115PS version also has more torque across the rev range.

The Octavia actually felt brisker. For the UK's congested roads riddled with average speed cameras the 1.0TSi felt fine.

I actually prefer the sound of the 1.0TSi over the 1.2TSi but there are extra vibrations and the 1.2TSi feels a bit quicker on pickup in gear.

Well, I turned down the test drive in the 1.0l Karoq, and have asked the dealer to call me once they have an Octavia I can test.

But to be honest, having thought about it, I don't really see the point in changing. My car has all the features I need and has never given me any trouble. I might extend the warranty in November when it comes to an end, but it depends on what deals are available.

Out of curiosity I checked Carwow for Superb 1.4TSi offers, and was amazed to get a £17.3k offer for the SE trim. I am slightly tempted, but to be honest, I don't need it so I'll let it pass.

Oh, and I will be test driving the Kia Niro just out of curiosity. I've never driven a hybrid, and besides, my Dad is interested in buying one so I can give him a report.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated :)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JohnK said:

But to be honest, having thought about it, I don't really see the point in changing. My car has all the features I need and has never given me any trouble. I might extend the warranty in November when it comes to an end, but it depends on what deals are available.

Good sensible decision.

Be aware the Superb is a physically much bigger car. A motorway muncher and not really very practical for around town, multi storey  and supermarket car parks where you might be struggling for space. Its also more expensive to run than an Octavia, some models much more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

I've had the Fabia 1.0TSi 95PS 5 speed for two weeks and the Octavia 1.0TSi 115PS 6 speed for two weeks.

As well as the extra power the 115PS version also has more torque across the rev range.

The Octavia actually felt brisker. For the UK's congested roads riddled with average speed cameras the 1.0TSi felt fine.

I actually prefer the sound of the 1.0TSi over the 1.2TSi but there are extra vibrations and the 1.2TSi feels a bit quicker on pickup in gear.

Surprised how refined the 1.2Tsi was in our 2015 Rapid, a great little engine and once coaxed 64.6mpg out of it going to work.:biggrin:

• Like 1