DSG + Stop Start a match made in heaven?

Just purchased my 1st ever Skoda, the Superb Sportline with the DSG gearbox again my 1st ever automatic.  Now I had stop-start in my previous motor an Audi A3 s line were the stop-start could be overridden by depressing the clutch. This was handy when you were turning right against oncoming traffic and wanted to be able to move quickly across and into the road. However, with the DSG the engine stops everytime the vehicle comes to a halt which is a nuisance. I know you switch the system off but it has to be done every trip and I quite like the stop-start at traffic lights. Hoping the love grows for this auto box malarkey ....  :)

You can start the engine by just tapping the accelerator. Not enough to take the handbrake off, just a little tap. The engine will then keep running until you drive away.You will still have the hesitation when you drive away. I have learnt not to pull into a small gap now!

• Like 2

I find it a pain in the arse much of the time, especially when pulling away with it in stop. Press the accelerator, then by the time the engine starts, as you've got the pedal down it tends to lurch forward. If you let the tension off the brake, it'll restart but not engage the clutch to move forward, just as you can prevent the engine stopping by not pushing fully down on the brake. By adjusting the pressure on the brake pedal when at a standstill you can control the stop / start.

I got so sick of it because of the delay pulling out of junctions ive coded it out with obdeleven.  Bit odd times i wouldnt mind it. Does anyone know whether you can invert the button? So its off as default but on when u press it? 

I don't think stop start is that great on petrol/diesel engines due to the the lag in starting or cutting out just  as you are about to pull away. It will come into it own when the hybrid systems and the car will pull away using the electric motors 

1 hour ago, Adrian55555 said:

I got so sick of it because of the delay pulling out of junctions ive coded it out with obdeleven.  Bit odd times i wouldnt mind it. Does anyone know whether you can invert the button? So its off as default but on when u press it? 

Yes, it would be useful to be able to switch it back on occasionally.  

I only do low miles around 7k a year and i barely travel at peak times so traffic isnt too much on an issue. But we do, do long journeys now and again where odd times we are sat in traffic and sometimes i do think id like the stop start feature.  All in all i rather it off though. 

A match made in hell if my Superb is anything to go by!

I've got so cheesed with it I've tweaked the voltage of the s/s function in VCDS & disabled it.

• Haha 1

I'm no fan of start/stop, but in the interests of fairness...

Recent 45min jam on the motorway and yours truly is low on fuel. Turned on the start/stop hoping I'd eke out enough fuel to get to the services (£1.53 per litre!!!) and found an interesting feature. When the car in front moved,  s/s re-started the car, allowing me to snooze lightly while stopped, and waking me up when I had to move on. So I have found a use for it after all.:D

• Haha 1

I'm confused -- do people mean stop/start or autobrake?

In a DSG with stop/start (like mine) the brakes come off and the engine restarts as soon as you lift your foot off the brake, so it's running by the time you get to the accelerator, so there's no delay. If you have autobrake turned on the brake stays on when you take your foot off the brake pedal, when you put it on the accelerator the engine restarts and the brakes come off, so there is a delay.

If you don't want the stop/start to come on for some reason you can feather the brakes as you stop so they're only on gently and the engine won't stop. Or twitch the steering wheel and it will restart. Or if you really hate stop/start so much (why?) disable it...

• Like 1

The delay is enough to make me not like it especially when pulling out of a busy junction.  I have autobrake as well, which i like but the stop start doesnt restart till you touch the accelerator pedal so you think you can go but car has to restart and by that time the gap may have gone. 

• Like 1

My main issue is with stop/start stopping before the car has actually stopped thus killing the power steering. It would be okay if it stopped the engine after the car had actually stopped. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, TheGingerOne said:

My main issue is with stop/start stopping before the car has actually stopped thus killing the power steering. It would be okay if it stopped the engine after the car had actually stopped. 

Yeah mine did that esp when parking when going slow when manoeuvring. 

You can control the stop start with the brake pedal, no need to turn it off.

If you are coming to a stop, say at a red light or railway crossing, where you will be stationary for a while then use a heavy brake pressure, this will stop the engine. a quick blip of the throttle will start the engine if you want a slightly quicker getaway than waiting for the stop/start to rengage on it's own.

If you know you will only be stopping briefly and do not want the engine to cut out then use a light pedal pressure on the brake, the engine will then not cutout, you soon get used to it and you will find that you can fully control the stop/start procedure.

This sounds good but how often do you have space  to 'brake lightly' when coming to a stop. I've never found the stop start to not activate whatever brake pressure is applied to the pedal and coming to a standstill.

1 hour ago, philsmith said:

You can control the stop start with the brake pedal, no need to turn it off.

If you are coming to a stop, say at a red light or railway crossing, where you will be stationary for a while then use a heavy brake pressure, this will stop the engine. a quick blip of the throttle will start the engine if you want a slightly quicker getaway than waiting for the stop/start to rengage on it's own.

If you know you will only be stopping briefly and do not want the engine to cut out then use a light pedal pressure on the brake, the engine will then not cutout, you soon get used to it and you will find that you can fully control the stop/start procedure.

28 minutes ago, Matchman55 said:

This sounds good but how often do you have space  to 'brake lightly' when coming to a stop. I've never found the stop start to not activate whatever brake pressure is applied to the pedal and coming to a standstill.

It doesn’t matter how lightly I brake, it still cuts out. My drive is slightly up hill, I don’t  have to break in my other half’s manual but in this I need to just enough to stop the car, it cuts out if I don’t switch it off. 

I guess it's down to different driving tecniques, (not suggesting mine is better!)  I have no problem turning it on and off with the brake pressure at all.

• Like 1