Winter Tyres

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

isn’t worth it to me unless it snows, or is very cold for sustained periods, which it isn’t in Somerset.  

Therein lies a big part of the equation.

I think it is fair to say that winter tyres may indeed be more suited to Sutherland or Strathclyde rather than Somerset.

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

summers work fine in cold weather in the UK.

As I said in my previous post it depends entirely upon which part of the UK you are in.

The most suitable tyre to use in winter in the Far North may not be the same as what's best to use in the Deep South.

Edited by Trilogy
correction
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

But also remember that where you are at home isn’t the same as where you travel to.

I said (the) "part of the UK you are in"  This was purely for the sake of brevity. 

I intended it to cover those down South who ordinarily may not need winter tyres but might wish to avail themselves of a set if, for example, they drive up North to Cairngorm to indulge themselves in a little skiing or snowboarding.

However, for the majority of people for the majority of the time they will be travelling either to or from their main residence, wherever that may be.

As I said it was originally intended for the sake of brevity but maybe I should have been a little less vague.

Nevertheless, it is for each individual to make an informed decision based on their own personal set of  circumstances.

:D That wasn't the salt I was referring too. 

Funnily enough I was in similar conditions down in Birmingham at that time. Heres my car back at the hotel, where I was the only resident (a very large Premier Inn) owing to none being able to get there in the snow. 

43063519782_efa8356357_b.jpgEventually the snow started to die out by Amanda, on Flickr

and yes that is a second Sat Nav on the dash :D 

I had Jelly Snakes in the car and Crisps in my hotel room. In fact once I added chocolate from the dispenser and a nice glass of plonk I was set for the night in my super quiet hotel. Best nights sleep ever in digs :)

On 04/10/2018 at 14:32, JD52 said:

How do the CCs compare for noise?

I have Cross Climates on our Mk2. They are very good for noise, comparable to a decent summer tyre and far quieter than a full winter.

They are 95% as good as a full winter for snow and 95% as good as a full summer in the dry/wet. The only real compromise I can tell is Ice, they are not as good as a full winter on ice.

But for the vast majority of UK drivers they will be ideal through winter.

I've swapped summer/winters on our three vehicles the past ten years but changing all to cross climates as tyres need replacing.

I'm also tempted by the cheap deals on  Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen2's which are getting good reviews as well.

• Like 1

spikes were put on mine last week, promptly dropped to -4 on the way up north. Ice rain this morning, snow up in Kuopio. Bring it on.

Fi also now has winters, did those at 9 last night after discovering the wife had a screw in the tread of a front tyre. 

Just want more light now...

- Bret

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 21:15, Trilogy said:

Haven't used them myself but there is

https://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/

Recently bought a set of 16" steel wheels with Continental TS860's on from Mrwinterwheels.  No issues to report, prompt delivery, good and easy to use website. 

I found it easier to use there website than mytyres as you had the price displayed every step of the way and I was not hampered with crappy loading times that I found on mytyres.

Thanks for the heads up about this company :thumbup:

On 05/10/2018 at 21:24, brettikivi said:

spikes were put on mine last week, promptly dropped to -4 on the way up north. Ice rain this morning, snow up in Kuopio. Bring it on.

Fi also now has winters, did those at 9 last night after discovering the wife had a screw in the tread of a front tyre. 

Just want more light now...

- Bret

I thought that spiked tyres and chains were passé (and spikes are banned in certain places).  On my recent trips to European ski resorts most people were getting around just fine on Michelin Alpins.

Must be a faff to find a screw in a tyre when it's full of spikes?:cool:

Spikes are allowed here, Sweden, Norway, parts of France, Austria.... not passé, just old tech that really works. Chains are also obligatory in some ski areas, but speed is limited to 50km/h with them on. 

Certainly in the sparsely populated areas, spikes are useful but don't fix everything. 

See also this news article....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

Spikes are allowed here, Sweden, Norway, parts of France, Austria.... not passé, just old tech that really works. Chains are also obligatory in some ski areas, but speed is limited to 50km/h with them on. 

Certainly in the sparsely populated areas, spikes are useful but don't fix everything. 

See also this news article....

Didnt require google translate.

Video of the dude ice skating down the road said it all :D

And also, spike tire technology has advanced a lot and modern spike tires are much easier on the roads then before, with the spikes being designed to "retract" into the rubber when there is no snow or ice.

---edit--

That said, I drive winter contact tires, but only just because it was what came with the car.

I have to say that also those are pretty good and most likely will stick to them when it comes time to change ;)

Edited by Jaco2k

• 1 month later...

i've just bought two sets, cross-climate+ for the wife and a cheap set of winters to go on my spare Geminis. I'm getting the Geminis diamond cut and painted before fitting the tyres. £90 per corner for the Michelins and £70 for the budget winters. I'm not doing as many miles now as i have switched jobs and am closer but the roads are more prone not to be salted. Ill report back on how good they are or are not.

winters.jpg.768e5bec8fe0166effe9ec06e3eedfeb.jpg

On 28/10/2018 at 13:20, BNT1985 said:

Recently bought a set of 16" steel wheels with Continental TS860's on from Mrwinterwheels.  No issues to report, prompt delivery, good and easy to use website. 

I found it easier to use there website than mytyres as you had the price displayed every step of the way and I was not hampered with crappy loading times that I found on mytyres.

Thanks for the heads up about this company :thumbup:

Same wheels and tyres, same easy website, worth a look

9 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i've just bought two sets, cross-climate+ for the wife and a cheap set of winters to go on my spare Geminis. I'm getting the Geminis diamond cut and painted before fitting the tyres. £90 per corner for the Michelins and £70 for the budget winters. I'm not doing as many miles now as i have switched jobs and am closer but the roads are more prone not to be salted. Ill report back on how good they are or are not.

winters.jpg.768e5bec8fe0166effe9ec06e3eedfeb.jpg

Interested to see how you get on with your cheap winters, the last set of cheap winters I brought wore really badly and were horrifically noisy.