Octavia vRS remap - mpg question

I am sorely tempted by a remap on my Octy Vrs (probably CC from JBS), but I am currently doing 100 miles per day to and from work (95% motorway).

Currently, it is great on fuel - 36mpg on a bad day, 45mpg on a good day but barely moving.

Assuming it is driven in a similar manner, 70-80 cruise and no demon acceleration, will mpg suffer greatly?

Obviously, I realise that you don't get anything for nothing, but I am keen to not compromise the cars day to day practicality.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I am sorely tempted by a remap on my Octy Vrs (probably CC from JBS)' date=' but I am currently doing 100 miles per day to and from work (95% motorway).

Currently, it is great on fuel - 36mpg on a bad day, 45mpg on a good day but barely moving.

Assuming it is driven in a similar manner, 70-80 cruise and no demon acceleration, will mpg suffer greatly?

Obviously, I realise that you don't get anything for nothing, but I am keen to not compromise the cars day to day practicality.

Thanks in advance for your comments.[/quote']

Depends on the size of your right foot! If you use the extra available performance, mpg will suffer. If you are careful, you should get at least the same. :thumbup: :thumbup:

My average MPG has dropped by about 1mpg since i had my remap. If i go really steady on a run i can get over 40 but my usual 30 mile round trip to work and back every day gets me about 31-32. This is doing some spirited driving too some of the time.;)

I'd have thought that it would all depend on the remap.

The ecu will inject fuel based on the reading from the MAF sensor and the revs of the engine, so ideally with a relatively closed throttle it shouldn't alter the mpg much.

However, when the throttle is opened the MAF sensor will tell the ecu to inject more fuel based on the map.

I'd have thought that a change in the map would be based around the WOT area and not affect the cruising conditions.

However, it's entirely possible to remap it and make it inject more fuel at low MAF readings or low rpm... so it would all depend on the map that's on there.

My APR re-map doesn't affect the economy at a steady throttle below ~3200rpm. So not flloring it and keeping the speed down on the motorway will give me a 35-39mpg average on the commute during the relatively cold winter we've had. I'm hoping that I'll see over 40mpg when it warms up.

Plenty of throttle/high rpm sees the fuel consumption rise, but you only get work out if you put fuel in....

The MPG is determined to where the accelerator is.

So if your boots are made of lead then no matter what you do the MPG will suffer.

But what I would say is , if you are getting to your required speed quicker then the throttle position is not as far down.

So you are just cruising and then the MPG should go up.

But if your flooring it , it can go down.

So the answer to the question has already been said.

It depends on the size of your boots.

Dont help I know , but hey

Sarah

I took my car from stockport to Irlam, Awesome GTI, when the water pump went so had to drive it at <60mph total of 20 miles, pulled onto the car park and the fuel computer said that I had done 41.9mpg....that was driving as if the throttle was made of glass!!!! thats with Stage 2 APR

I get 28 to 30 from Custom Code driven at 70 to 80 on the M-way... typical avg from a 200 mile m-way trip is 29.2.
That doesn't sound good, Colin. My Jabba-remapped 4X4 gets much better figures on similar runs, and that from a car which has a noticeably higher fuel consumption in standard form than the vRS.