VRS diesel 184 mpg?

Hi guys

I've got a 64 plate diesel Vrs 184 and the fuel economy isn't much better than a 440I. On average in eco it does 41 at best driving like miss daisy but mostly 38mpg. In Normal or sport you can pretty much watch the fuel gauage drop. 28mpg in normal driving to work today. Is this right or do i have problems?

My old 11plate VRS diesel did 62mpg reasonably easily.

Thanks in advance.

ive been using fuelly for nearly a year and my best is 45mpg driving at 60-70, 90% of that motorway driving. 44-45 is good. MY15 184 with a crd3+ i am running 240PS and 500nm so that not a bad return.

Edited by JohnnyType2

same MPG as you Daspete.

My daily commute doesn't warrant a diesel (10 miles each way across fast roads) but at the time the car/options were to good to refuse and the petrols in the price range were few and far between for me.

Long term my average is 40mpg but when I go the long trips to wales it shoots up to low 50s easily. However, when I Inherited the car it did a lot of motorway miles and the average then was 42mpg from the previous owner.

Mine is running a R-tech remap at 225 and 500nm, no change in MPG even though I tend to give it the beans more.    

4 hours ago, Daspete said:

Was thinking of getting a crd3+. Are they worth it and do they improve the mpg much?

Can't decide between that and a remap.

I regularly get high 40’s and low 50’s on a run and don’t hang around. Mines mapped by shark to 230 and 500nm. I do some short journey and some long but average over the last 1000 miles is 43. Normally with fully loaded with roof box on when we got to the snow it averages 43 for the whole journey. Get yours mapped and I will improve it on runs without a doubt. Also just do the usual draggy checks like rear brakes binding etc too 

Here you go! After nearly 30k of mainly motorways on Cruise my 4x4 Vrs is doing 42.8 to the gallon. (Actual mpg as dash indicator overreads by 2.21)

Mapping doesn’t improve overall mpg by anything significant. The energy required to keep a car at a set speed will be the same whether it’s mapped or not, all other conditions being equal. Biggest mpg improvements come from driving style and how you get to that set speed.

3546C16C-5AC7-4FC3-A1C9-EBB7FD1B30F8.png

So mine is definitely a bit low. A 4x4 should be lower than a 2wd.

Wonder if it has clogged injectors? As it can struggle to start and when i bought the car it had no evidence of a major service. I replaced the fuel and air filters and they were properly filled with rubbish.

Would a terra clean be of any use rather than a remap at this stage?

Just don’t spank it for a while and see what happens. I generally don’t hoof it as there is little opportunity to go quickly without looking like a tw@ round here. I am using V power as well but benefits of that on a diesel are debatable.

Ran some egr cleaner and winns gold fuel system cleaner through it and took it for a good drive. Got much better mpg. At points i got 52mpg but on average 45mpg. 

Felt much perkier too. Don't know if it was the cleaner or spanking it last night cleared something out. 

If you are not getting better than 50mpg at UK legal motorway speeds from a 2 litre diesel FWD thenthere has to be something wrong somewhere.

55+ real life (motorway) is not an unreasonable expectation based on the claims of 150hp diesel owners.

Urban and short runs then there are too many factors to generalise.

Edited by Gerrycan

16 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

If you are not getting better than 50mpg at UK legal motorway speeds from a 2 litre diesel FWD thenthere has to be something wrong somewhere.

55+ real life (motorway) is not an unreasonable expectation based on the claims of 150hp diesel owners.

Urban and short runs then there are too many factors to generalise.

its a vRS though so itll be a bit thirstier.

I've got the 4wd 184 VRS and have two answers to this topic;

answer 1 - I achieve 50 something on the occasions I can be bothered to behave for long enough and theres no traffic or I'm cruising along the motorway

answer 2 - I tend to not get past mid 30's due to me enjoying my driving around

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

its a vRS though so itll be a bit thirstier.

Driving styles and performance potential apart, why?

Maybe I am being simplistic but a 150hp and 190hp diesel would need to produce the same amount of power to push the same body through the air at the same speed.

You are saying the vRS engine is inherently less efficient on a UK motorway where your speeds are governed more often  by traffic density, speed cameras, overhead gantries signage and speed cameras than personal choice (based on my limited recent exposure to M25 and linked motorways).

1 hour ago, Gerrycan said:

Driving styles and performance potential apart, why?

Maybe I am being simplistic but a 150hp and 190hp diesel would need to produce the same amount of power to push the same body through the air at the same speed.

You are saying the vRS engine is inherently less efficient on a UK motorway where your speeds are governed more often  by traffic density, speed cameras, overhead gantries signage and speed cameras than personal choice (based on my limited recent exposure to M25 and linked motorways).

official figures show 8 mpg less for the 184 :wondering: (motorway/country)

....tyres/weight? i dont really know?

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

official figures show 8 mpg less for the 184 :wondering: (motorway/country)

....tyres/weight? i dont really know?

Tyres and weight are likely factors

Euro 6 150ps TDI's across various models of Skoda, SEAT, VW & Audi seem to just perform rather well for economy compared to 190ps Euro 6 TDI's doing the same journeys with the same drivers regardless of the Unladen / Kerb weights being a few hundred kg either way.  Passengers and luggage can be a few hundred kg up or down or even more than that.

Same journeys taking the same times, cars with tyres of different brands, seasons and pressures.

There are going to be those that get equal MPG's or better one way or another but anyone using TDI's with different power outputs will know themselves what fuel they nedd to be buying and putting in the car after a few trips and fill ups.

They will know if they are driving in the same way with 110, 150 or 190 ps.

Those that have had Mk3 Octavia vRS TDI's and are going to be getting new diesels in the future but will need to go with a 150ps SCR TDI if sticking with Skoda and an Octavia will see how they go with those compared to the car before.

Edited by Offski

I am with GerryCan on this one.

If you cannot get in the 50s from a 2L diesel I would be quite dissapointed. (the only reason to buy a diesel is the fuel economy increase over

My regular commute is 60km each way on the highway (mostly without traffic) & I achieve around 55mpg.

The last month I have been driving 10kph slower than previously (120kph instead of 130kph) and have been returning values close to 60mpg.

My best recorded tank was almost 62mpg.

In the 18months someone else used the car (12km each way per day) the economy dropped to the low 50s, occaisonally into the high 40s but this was rare.

There are many factors which affect fuel economy, the type of driving is one but for me the most influential is the driver.

The vRS in particular has a very sensitively calibrated Accelerator pedal. A small input gives & big change in torque requested from the engine.

If you are not delicate with the Accelerator pedal, even when maintaining a constant speed the fuel economy can be impacted.

guys ive driven at 60 on the motorway! for the full week and sat behind articulated vehicles to slipstream and it killed me, but i did it to see, i still only returned 45.8mpg ... :(

the problem is most of you are using the maxi and its been said over and over that its just not accurate.

Edited by JohnnyType2

People who are interested in consumption record fuelused and compare real returns against maxidot to confirm the degree of (in)accuracy.

By your reckoning the abysmal returns reported for some 190hp diesels is probably worse than they say.

done 75,000 miles of mostly motorway milaage

Never got more than 50mpg- tends to be around 47mpg, although I do sit at 80 on the motorway

The dpf and the regens will hamper the mpg somewhat.

Had the dpf removed on my PD170 VRS years ago and the average mpg went from 45 to 50 overnight

On 20/10/2018 at 09:38, BigEjit said:

Here you go! After nearly 30k of mainly motorways on Cruise my 4x4 Vrs is doing 42.8 to the gallon. (Actual mpg as dash indicator overreads by 2.21)

Mapping doesn’t improve overall mpg by anything significant. The energy required to keep a car at a set speed will be the same whether it’s mapped or not, all other conditions being equal. Biggest mpg improvements come from driving style and how you get to that set speed.

3546C16C-5AC7-4FC3-A1C9-EBB7FD1B30F8.png

Hey

I like this excel sheet... Can you share a copy?