Timing belt and water pump ballpark cost

If my experience is anything to go by, when the garage I use all the time, when they got the said cam belt kit and pump, the pump wernt the right type. A trip to skoda to get the right one!

I would ask a Skoda garage for a quote stating that you know it is a known problem on the O3.

Normally they are offering a 50% contribution towards to costs (so should be around 300gbp) providing you have a FSH.

This would probably be cheaper than an independant garage & you get the Skoda warrenty on the work done.

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2018 at 09:52, Gabbo said:

I would ask a Skoda garage for a quote stating that you know it is a known problem on the O3.

Normally they are offering a 50% contribution towards to costs (so should be around 300gbp) providing you have a FSH.

This would probably be cheaper than an independant garage & you get the Skoda warrenty on the work done.

Hi Gabbo and all,

I have a problem with my 2014 O3 1.6 TDi. The heater use to be brilliant, now really poor. An Indy has suggested that the fault lies with the pump, that has a known issue. He suggested changing the pump and timing belt etc, which is due next year anyway. There are no other signs of a problem. Is this likely to be a fair diagnosis,or o the pump issue generate an overheating warning?

Also, I got this on the MOT, is this common?:

Advisory notice item(s):
  • Emissions test unable to detect exhaust output, engine running too clean.

6 minutes ago, gasmant said:

Hi Gabbo and all,

I have a problem with my 2014 O3 1.6 TDi. The heater use to be brilliant, now really poor. An Indy has suggested that the fault lies with the pump, that has a known issue. He suggested changing the pump and timing belt etc, which is due next year anyway. There are no other signs of a problem. Is this likely to be a fair diagnosis,or o the pump issue generate an overheating warning?

Advisory notice item(s):

I'm not sure about the 1.6tdi, the issue I was referring to is for the 2l diesel and causes overheating.

However on the forum there are quite a few people with leaking coolant pumps & heating problems.

With proper diagnostic tools you can read the temperatures within the heating system to see if it's no heat from the matrix or a problem with the valves in the HVAC system.

Regarding the mot adivisory, I'd imagine this is directed towards the garage who haven't connected the test equipment correctly, unless there's a leak in exhaust but they should have checked this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gasmant said:

Advisory notice item(s):

I’d be calling VOSA and asking them to recategorise your car as zero emissions. 

It could be another VAG emissions cheat just to stop

it emitting entirely :giggle:

Edited by courty
Grammar police
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, courty said:

I’d be calling VOSA and asking them to recategorise your car as zero emissions. 

It could be another VAG emissions cheat just to stop

it emitting entirely :giggle:

I think this is just to cover the garage or may have been a message on the test equipment as it is common for the reading to be zero on modern diesels. My 2.0 Superb did not register anything on the machine either

6 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

I think this is just to cover the garage or may have been a message on the test equipment as it is common for the reading to be zero on modern diesels. My 2.0 Superb did not register anything on the machine either

Defo a VAG cheat then if there are two cars it’s happened to :tongueout:

Mine emitted on its MOT - so I’m safe thankfully; the environment isn’t though :dry:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

£300 from an indy, with the uprated VW pump and timing belt replaced.

The water pump is a known issue, especially on earlier 2013/4 1.6 tdis. You may or may not get any 'goodwill' from Skoda if you try, some report they do, others not as the car is now 4/5 years old.

18 minutes ago, WallMeerkat said:

£300 from an indy, with the uprated VW pump and timing belt replaced.

The water pump is a known issue, especially on earlier 2013/4 1.6 tdis. You may or may not get any 'goodwill' from Skoda if you try, some report they do, others not as the car is now 4/5 years old.

You need a full Skoda history, otherwise they won't even bother filling out the paperwork.
Mine is in the Skoda garage right now having this exact thing done. £495 all in.

My indy quoted £515 for the same job as Skoda sell themselves parts cheaper than they do to others.

Update:

In overnight as they broke the lamdba sensor when putting everything back together. So they've ordered another one, no charge to me obviously.
Got a courtesy Rapid for the night, it appears to have been named ironically...
Was actually £489, not £495.

2 hours ago, j1mg said:

Skoda sell themselves parts cheaper than they do to others.

Skoda actually subsidise the cost of the timing belt change. For example it might cost the dealer £650 to change timing belt and water pump so you pay the £500 fixed price and Skoda pay the rest to the dealer.

That's what the service department told me anyway as my goodwill gesture for a timing belt change was off the full price of the job and not the £500 fixed price :crying:

• 9 months later...

Just had an oil change and they advised me that there appeared to be a small leak from around the cam belt.

As I had this changed in November when the water pump failed, I wondered if this would be classed as a fitting error, or if it's on me?

As I really don't want to fork over another load of moeny for them to get back at the cam-belt.

Any advice?