Are you happy with your Karoq

Peachysheff

On 27/11/2018 at 12:43, DaveWK said:

Video not much help. I registered and got connected. Nothing interesting on smartphone though. Neighbour came over later and pointed out that the hazard lights were flashing continuously. You need to renew the Connect contract after a year at a cost of £50+. Won't be bothering.

Had the car a couple of months and still find the infotainment system confusing. Putting a waypoint in a route more complicated than my old Garmin satnav.

Doesn't seem to be a menu showing the complete route with turning points. Deleting old destinations? It's there somewhere 'cos I managed it once.

Despite some voice recognition there's still a lot of button pressing required on the infotainment screen.

Voice recognition often gets it wrong, unlike that on my old 2005 Citroen C5-Exclusive. (Sadly missed- it's gone to be a taxi oop North).

Tapped one of those little paddle switches by the wheel and it locked down into screaming low gear with no apparent means of unlocking until I stopped, switched off and started up again.

Confusing lights system. Never had daytime running lights previously and surprised to find that they're only on the front. Must be the reason so many are driving about at dusk without rear lights.

More confusion with choices on the light switch. Both front foglights on at one setting but only the offside on another.

Only one rear foglight. That's penny pinching.  Car is SE-L, maybe the top version has two.

Cannot hardwire dashcams as it's not allowed by lease company. Have to unplug them each time as sockets are permanently live and will flatten battery if left connected.

I've just put an adhesive label 'DASHCAM' on trim near door.

Hopefully will remind me. Neat bit of kit- Brother P-Touch Labelmaker from Aldi.

Very little is live without the engine running.  It's necessary to be out on the road driving the car to learn and practice the clever 'smart' systems.

Safety features they say. Quite unnerving to have a red warning and something grab at the brakes 'cos some idiot slotted into the gap ahead.

I've been driving long enough to always know what's behind me and be able to stop in the distance I can see to be clear.

Apart from that it's a nice car. Economical, reasonably comfortable, easy access. Characterless. That's ok, just need reliability, starts and stops when it should.

Yes the auto braking thing is a bit unnerving.

Overall despite the kangaroo and failed clutch and flywheel....

I like the car, missing the boot space and the thoughtful Velcro boot spacers whilst it's being fixed.

There is a rattle from the compartment on the top of the dash and the Nav is out of date already...other than that no other issues.

On 27/11/2018 at 23:46, 33q said:

Same problem for me. 

I changed the seat bolts at the rear for longer ones and lifted up the rear of the seat frame. I did this on my Yeti too. Only takes few minutes

I have had a look but cant see quite what bolts you changed.  Any chance of a photo?

2 hours ago, COYIWELLS said:

I have had a look but cant see quite what bolts you changed.  Any chance of a photo?

Loosen the front bolts. Slide the seat all the way forward. Remove the rear bolts and replace with longer ones. To space out or lift the rear of the seat frame I used two nuts. This means you can vary the lift by fiddling the nuts. It’s a bit messy but it means you can fairly easily change the lift. Alternatively use a piece of tube between the bottom of the frame and the car floor. Obviously this is a fixed distance but you could try different lengths etc. 6368B822-EFA7-4CC6-A635-29B9355C5F23.thumb.jpeg.88683979d6993f128d7399e3a8ee1044.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 33q said:

Loosen the front bolts. Slide the seat all the way forward. Remove the rear bolts and replace with longer ones. To space out or lift the rear of the seat frame I used two nuts. This means you can vary the lift by fiddling the nuts. It’s a bit messy but it means you can fairly easily change the lift. Alternatively use a piece of tube between the bottom of the frame and the car floor. Obviously this is a fixed distance but you could try different lengths etc. 6368B822-EFA7-4CC6-A635-29B9355C5F23.thumb.jpeg.88683979d6993f128d7399e3a8ee1044.jpeg

Thanks I can now see what you have done.  Will give it a go.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2018 at 23:46, 33q said:

Same problem for me. 

I changed the seat bolts at the rear for longer ones and lifted up the rear of the seat frame. I did this on my Yeti too. Only takes few minutes

The original bolts have an odd head/socket - do you know what type it was and/or how did you undo the original bolts. I see you replaced them with hex headed bolts/nuts

1 hour ago, COYIWELLS said:

The original bolts have an odd head/socket - do you know what type it was and/or how did you undo the original bolts. I see you replaced them with hex headed bolts/nuts

I think they are called Star Splined or something like that.  They are not Torx but if you are careful a Torx bit will work . Hex head replacements from the bay of E.

I don't like to use the wrong tool so i did buy a set.  I will try to post a photo later

I’ve pictured an example of a tube spacer, a T50 Torx bit and the correct M10 Splined bit up against the original bolt and the replacement hex socket (Allen head) bolt. I actually used a slightly longer one and cut it down but you will get the principle 

7099C382-A949-4502-8F0D-F095E14A013B.jpeg

0CE4079B-EEA8-42E1-9750-B7C40D077D67.jpeg

Edited by 33q
Should have made clear I used an Allen bolt not a regular hexagon bolt

I tried something similar to this in one of my Roomsters but instead of using nuts or lengths of pipe to increase the height, I used stacks of approx 10 repair washers (sometimes called penny washers).  From memory the repair washers were 40mm dia with 8mm bore and when used in conjunction with M8 high tensile capscrews, formed very sturdy rear mounts.

Sadly after carrying out this mod, I found my Roomster's seat even less comfortable!  I hope you have more success with your Karoq.

On 01/12/2018 at 17:45, TheRealExile said:

Overall despite the kangaroo and failed clutch and flywheel....

Hi, sorry to hear of this. Read on another posting about your clutch slipping above 2500rpm.

Is it the flywheel that has caused the clutch to fail ?

Were there any other symptons ? I am concerned because I can see this being the outcome for quite a few people who are having to slip the clutch at high revs to prevent the kangarooing.

12 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

That was the only symptom the slipping above 2500 rpm, got mine back last night and they had to replace the clutch and Flywheel.....under warranty caused by the kangaroo issue.

Don't suppose it's cured the kangarooing ?

On 01/11/2018 at 11:54, DaveWK said:

How do you delete previous destinations? Ana at Lawries Liverpool showed me- took her a while. Now I forgot.

Sorry if this is off topic but I got mine off Alex Laurie and Ana dealt with me, are you having any issues with the first gear kangarooing? I’ve also got the odd problem with the info screen freezing when on a phone call and having to disconnect the blue tooth to reset it. 

23 hours ago, 33q said:

I’ve pictured an example of a tube spacer, a T50 Torx bit and the correct M10 Splined bit up against the original bolt and the replacement hex bolt. I actually used a slightly longer one and cut it down but you will get the principle 

7099C382-A949-4502-8F0D-F095E14A013B.jpeg

0CE4079B-EEA8-42E1-9750-B7C40D077D67.jpeg

Have done the job now as you suggested.  The seat seems much more comfortable.  The real test is how it feels after a 2 hour drive.  Thanks for all you help.

• Like 1

Hi,

Bron and I have decided to keep our Yeti so today we've just bought a set of Michelin cross climate tyres; these tyres will be fitted on our driveway tomorrow by "tyresonthedrive" we prefer the look of the Yeti to the Karoq and have further been put off by the stories of kangarooing. What's happening to Skoda when new kangarooing cars are reaching the customer.  I'm not surprised Skoda only give a three year warranty.  Since 1991 we've traded in and bought a new car every three years or less;  we love our Yeti.

Kind regards, Colin.

26 minutes ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Bron and I have decided to keep our Yeti so today we've just bought a set of Michelin cross climate tyres; these tyres will be fitted on our driveway tomorrow by "tyresonthedrive" we prefer the look of the Yeti to the Karoq and have further been put off by the stories of kangarooing. What's happening to Skoda when new kangarooing cars are reaching the customer.  I'm not surprised Skoda only give a three year warranty.  Since 1991 we've traded in and bought a new car every three years or less;  we love our Yeti.

Kind regards, Colin.

A wise move given the lack of urgency from Skoda / VW to sort this problem out. I have a love / hate relationship with my Karoq. When it's kangarooing I really hate it but I love other aspects i.e. the roominess, luggage space and standard equipment. It's just that sometimes it seems to drive weird (a sort of gentle lurching when trying to drive at a constant speed).

• Thanks 1

I test drove a Karoq 1.5 TSi DSG a couple of weeks ago, with every intention of buying it, but yes, it was very jerky crawling around town and when a floored the throttle it hung on to revs between gear changes. I just did not like it.

We have a Karow 2.0 TDi DSG already, which has no such issues.

Previous to that a Yeti 1.2 TSi was a great car for 3 years, punching well above its weight and I currently have an Audi A3 1.4 TSi, an absolute peach of an engine.

Anyway, I climbed out of the Karoq 1.5 TSi DSG into an Octavia 1.4 and loved it, so I ordered an Octavia Estate 2.0 TSi 190 DSG, arrives 1st March.

The 1.5 engine is just not as good as the 1.4 it replaced. Big problem across the VAG range and the reason I did not swap my A3 for a new Q3.

• Like 1

Bought a 1.5 tsi DSG 'Edition'about 6 weeks ago during  a 'family vehicle consolidation ' exercise.  We were going to sell our 2 existing cars , mine a Superb 280 Sportline (ouch)  and Mrs BD her VW Polo Blue GT .   I sold the Sportline within a couple of days on this forum (it was rather nice) and bought the Karoq.   Nice car ... big spec . inc. nice add on's of Canton and Adaptive cruise.  Mrs BD then decided  she could not part with her beloved Polo Blue GT , having had it from new (it is a cracking little pocket rocket) !!  Actually good news because the Karoq was beginning to annoy me a bit as the 1.5 motor seemed a bit asthmatic (probably ECU set up for economy) vs the 1.4 tsi in the polo , and I accept it was lighter but .... !!  The general driving seemed very erratic with DSG box constantly hunting between gears and wanting to hold onto higher revs . Also a bit jerky when cold but not too bad although I believe there is a lot of stuff on the forum about the manual versions exhibiting tendencies of one of the worlds largest marsupials !!   . Anyway I was very lucky to spot a nearly new Superb Sportline 280 on the Skoda Used site .. only 800 miles and finished in Moon White which really suits the model and Canton / Pan Roof  ... rest is history , minimal loss on p/ex on the Karoq (which in 1.5tsi  DSG Edition mode is still pretty rare on market) vs a 27% saving on list price on the new 'Big Beast' . So nice to reverse a bad decision , especially recovering 130 extra PS and 4WD in the process :)

• Like 4

Hi,

Looking at the posts I think we've had a lucky escape; our Yeti from new has never had any vices except a faulty fuel gauge but after reporting it a number of times and it not being cured I took the Yeti in for it's second service in July and was informed the computer needed updating which was carried out and no trouble since. The Yeti always pleases and brings a smile to my face even just looking at it; to drive it is a pleasure; it's nimble enough and with an easy 60mpg plus £30 per year road tax what could we ever replace it with? The Yeti turns into a decent sized van and just for the two of us it has a great deal of interior space; the leather upholstery is a bonus; I detest the stop/start function and always switch it off; I wonder in a few years how many cars fitted with this function will head for the scrap yard?  The Yeti is very comfortable and with a decent ride height giving a commanding view of the road; unfortunately Skoda decided to dump the Yeti and with it us as Skoda customers should we ever trade it in. I'm looking forward to the new Michelin crossclimate plus tyres being fitted to it tomorrow having watched lots of YouTube videos showing these tyres in action. On the OEM Avon's it spins the front wheels without much effort so will it do the same with the new tyres?

I might have mentioned we love our Yeti?

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 1

After just under 2k miles the jury is still out I'm afraid.

I made a call to VWFS today just to see what options I had regarding the end of my PCP agreement and if I had to stick with Skoda. That in itself says a lot.

I have an Edition 1.5 Tsi manual, and the following points aren't sitting right with me:

The 1st gear issue's (kangerooing).

The collecting of dirt on the inner rear doors where it forms part of the wheel arch.

The smaller boot space compared to my previous Octavia Estate (Comparably as big on paper when the outer Varioflex seats are slid forward - not in reality, as the kids have next to no leg room).

Its rare I fill the boot, but holidaying in the UK at least once a year it will be a test. My pet hate of packing stuff in and around the kids in other cars may come back to haunt me. This is my fault and not the cars.

The grey exterior plastic (wheel arch / front rear bumpers).

I thought they would grow on me but I wish they were colour coded similar to the Sportline.

The MPG - coming from a diesel I expected a drop, but not as drastic as it is. I have a 7 mile commute hence the change from diesel to petrol, but I'm only averaging 35mpg. I understand with the engine not at optimum / operating temperature (only reaching around 70°C) fuel economy will suffer, but even my previous CR 170 TDi managed around 43 mpg on the same journey. (This is only going off what the car trip computer is telling me btw). I expect the weight comes as an issue too with the pan roof and the weight of the Varioflex seats.

So am I happy? Yes.....but will I keep the car as intended? Probably not sadly.

P.s. Appologies for the long message and over use of brackets :blush:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Kind regards, Colin.

I previously changed my cars regularly (VW/Audi/Skoda) but decided the same a couple of months back and had a set of Cross-Climates fitted about 3 weeks ago. PCP is up early in the new year and will be paying off the balance. Was originally going to change for a Karoq 1.5 TSI as wanted a petrol for upcoming retirement but that is well on the back-burner now. I've been half-heartedly looking at non-VWG competitors but nothing really tickles my fancy and am perfectly happy to keep the Yeti for some time.

I'm really pleased with the Cross-Climates but do find the ride slightly more harsh (17" wheels) which on rougher roads is a little disappointing and it's causing a few rattles and vibrations. Interesting thing I've noticed is that on wet roads, is that when you accelerate, even if ever so slightly, the amount of road/water noise increases! Not by much and not annoyingly so but it is noticeable - just an observation really. Must be the tread moving as a force is applied.

Funny  (not in a humorous way) is that this thread started off, unsurprisingly, with all the folks being happy with their cars but now negative comments are beginning to be posted, mainly because of the kangarooing etc. problems.  

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thanks Sad555 for the information; 7.7% of Skoda owners had a problem? This is a shame because Skoda have done so well pulling their reputation up to a very high standard claiming many prestigious awards but from comments posted on this thread alone Skoda appear to be slipping. I note you now run a Kia.

Bron and I have owned a 2014 Fabia Monte Carlo in black over red and we thought it was a gorgeous looking car; it rode like a skateboard over our Huddersfield roads and traffic calming humps rattling our teeth with its low profile tyres but we loved it and it was ultra reliable. Then we were invited to a D M Keith VIP event; we had previously sat in both a roomster and Yeti but considered these would be heavy on running costs being bigger cars; we were offered such a good deal with the Yeti we grabbed it and what a total revelation; we loved the Monte and were loathe to part with it but boy this Yeti is on a much higher level; the Yeti is comfortable and is a much better ride over what are classed as roads around here; we are amazed by the Yeti fuel economy; whilst running it in on a decent motorway journey the dash consumption readout went up to 78mpg; now with general driving it hovers around 60mpg. Road tax is considerably reduced it being £30 due to it being the Adblue model; I was truly amazed to find the insurance hadn't gone up but had in fact come down so we're running a bigger car at a much lower cost. 

We've not seen a Karoq close up or test driven one and don't want to; it simply doesn't appeal to us looking like most other cars these days. Car manufacturers these days seem to be competing with each other in turning out the best mission control they can with increasing electronics to go wrong in the future; cars are now incredibly complicated and becoming more so year on year; we want a decent basic individual looking car without all the unnecessary electronic must have gadgets; our friend has just emailed regarding his Hyundai regarding the rear view mirror;

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube%2bhow+a+dimming+rear+view+mirror+works&view=detail&mid=DF59D5E33B6AC853E3E8DF59D5E33B6AC853E3E8&FORM=VIRE

This to me is now getting totally insane and each year more such things are added; OK for those who like such things but I'm sure many drivers are finding modern cars to be over complicated? Our neighbour across the street recently suffered a front end accident in his Nissan Juke; what is oft called a fender bender; the car at about 7 years old in otherwise excellent condition was totally written off by the insurance company because three airbags were activated; the airbags at £1,500 each rendered the car cheaper to scrap than repair. It's not just Skoda but all car manufacturers are fighting the battle to install as many electronics as possible into their cars; I'm a 71 year old dinosaur who lives without a mobile phone welded to his ear. Perhaps if Skoda stepped back a pace and stopped this electronic rush to concentrate on turning out cars which DON'T kangaroo they might retain happy customers who are delighted with their car as Bron and I are delighted with our Yeti.

We won't be buying A karoq. I saw a car in Morrison's car park thinking that looks like a decent Yeti replacement and it was a Jeep Wrangler; back home I browsed the web but at £44,000 it wasn't going to grace our driveway soon. I've also fancied a Toyota HiAce but really we love the Yeti so much we'll keep it with fingers crossed it doesn't cause problems when out of warranty next year; we won't touch the extended warranty because it's done through an insurance company and in our experience of insurance companies what is likely to break isn't covered if we could see the small print; yes I'm totally biased; why oh why did Skoda drop the Yeti. 

Your comments regarding the Karoq Gaz1985 are starting to become the theme of this thread as other members are posting their negative comments about the Karoq; it's not my intention to kick Skoda and I'm unable to comment on owning or driving a Karoq but early problems might be down to the Karoq being a new car from the production line and as such will possibly suffer teething troubles; our previous Fabia and now Yeti are cars that have had any problems sorted out over the years so the Karoq too might end up a decent car once it's bugs are sorted but Skoda do need to sort the problems rapidly before they end up in deep trouble.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm concerned were it's all going these days; we are encouraged to save our planet resources yet good cars are being scrapped just because of airbags pushing up insurance costs. The Yeti is absolutely brilliant and we could live without the touch screen infotainment because we never use it.

Sounds like we have similar thought VAGCF thinking our Yeti is a car well worth keeping; our new tyres are being fitted today between 10:15 & 14:15 tyresonthedrive have already been in touch by emails so top marks to them so far. 

Kind regards, Colin.