Superb II and Carplay / Nav

Hi, 

So I have recently purchased a Skoda Superb II Estate (3T5) which came with a Swing radio with Bluetooth.  I really want to upgrade to a car play unit as my previous vehicle had Carplay and I love the new functionality but would also consider a Columbus RNS-510 or maybe something after market.

Has anyone tried to put one of these in a Superb 2? and if so does it work? I seem to find mixed reviews, and can't actually seem to get any answers to if it would work or not. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123334384842?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D6ea6802fab5743a4be35716bbb6031f6%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D14%26rkt%3D26%26sd%3D392107155627%26itm%3D123334384842

I have read a lot of places they have security on them so won't properly work, but I believe they are Car-play compatible? 

The other option is a Columbus RNS-510, these seem fairly reasonably priced, has anyone got much experience of what the mapping is like? I have heard mixed reviews but they have tended to be more negative than positive and also people have said they are hard to upgrade. I also like how there would be integration with the MFD for the turn based navigation. 

The last option is an aftermarket head unit, this is what I seem to be drifting too the most but I can't work out a few things... do you know if it is possible to integrate the existing in-car microphones to a thirds party unit? I have had a really bad experience previously with a third party head unit and using the provided mic, and everyone who i have talked to on the phone from my superb has commented on how good the inbuilt mics sound. 

Sorry for the long post, and sorry if the answers to this are repeated else where... I have been looking i promise. 

Cheers

Rich 

The Columbus of this generation (2008-2015) doesn't offer Carplay, maps are so-so (accurate enough, but haven't been updated for quite a while now, compared to the current nav units). There is at least one aftermarket unit (android) discussion on the very first page of this forum so go and take a look.

• Like 1

Yes, you can use MIB STD2 PQ unit however it  must be especially reworked to solve Component Protection issues - pls contact me on PM if you are intrested.

BTW: Pls make sure you choose the right unit:

5L0035200 - no OEM navigation, no DAB/DAB+, MirrorLink only

5L0035200A - no OEM navigation, DAB/DAB+, MirrorLink only

5L0035200B - no OEM navigation, no DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay)

5L0035200C - no OEM navigation, DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay)

5L0035200D - no OEM navigation, no DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay), hidden Car menu

5L0035200E - no OEM navigation, DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay), hidden Car menu

5L0035680 - OEM navigation, no DAB/DAB+, MirrorLink only

5L0035680A - OEM navigation, DAB/DAB+, MirrorLink only

5L0035680B - OEM navigation, no DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay)

5L0035680C - OEM navigation, DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay)

5L0035680D - OEM navigation, no DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay), hidden Car menu

5L0035680E - OEM navigation, DAB/DAB+, SmartLink (MirrorLink + Android Auto + Apple CarPlay), hidden Car menu

All the units have built-in high quality Bluetooth, with handsfree (HFP), audio streaming (A2DP), remote control (AVRCP), phonebook (PBAP) and messaging (MAP). They all all support Voice Control.

Bluettoth, Voice Control, navigation, MirrorLink / SmartLink require online activation via FEC/SWaP codes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexVicol said:

Amundsen can be fitted in 3T5

The original Skoda's Amundsen for this generation of cars is as follows, what you've linked to is the modified unit:

2013-skoda-amundsen-sat-nav-map-update-d

And it doesn't make any difference if the car is 3T4 or 3T5 (just a different code for the hatchback or the estate)

9 hours ago, siemi1 said:

linked is  YETI version 2014-2016 which can be fitted to S2 the one youmentioje is Old Amundesn can be fitted to any S2 or S2FL

I'm talking about the Superb to avoid confusion, the Superb's Amundsen looks as I've posted

21 hours ago, vborovic said:

The Columbus of this generation (2008-2015) doesn't offer Carplay, maps are so-so (accurate enough, but haven't been updated for quite a while now, compared to the current nav units). There is at least one aftermarket unit (android) discussion on the very first page of this forum so go and take a look.

Maps are updated yearly but most dealers are clueless about it. They're based on Navteq maps so comparable to Garmin.

Edited by chimaera

58 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Maps are updated yearly but most dealers are clueless about it.

Your region, maybe ... the East Europe is still on v13 (and it doesn't look like it will get any newer)

18 hours ago, vborovic said:

Your region, maybe ... the East Europe is still on v13 (and it doesn't look like it will get any newer)

V15 for Western Europe. But VW have discontinued updates for Eastern Europe  and no more are being offered. However, some enterprising chaps are making new versions from BMW (I think) maps and converting them to suit the RNS510. There's a later version for your country/area.

Edited by Rustynuts
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am looking to fit a MIB2 PQ to our Superb 3T. 

I have VagCom p, other than hooking up a DAB antenna and GPS, how do you add the USB socket?

I can’t see a guide anywhere.

On 24/08/2020 at 22:59, Oli said:

I have VagCom p, other than hooking up a DAB antenna and GPS, how do you add the USB socket?

You'll need to buy an appropriate USB socket and wiring. As the Superb never had this as an option, it's down to you where you fit it :)

I used something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174328260349 but I believe there are some other versions without the aux socket attached.

Shameless plug, I have a MIB2 PQ for sale if you're interested: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/classifieds/item/459-amundsen-mib2-pq-std-style-with-cp-unlocked-and-all-functions-activated/

Very interested... but I need to sell our old cars first before I can afford the splash out on the unit. As I have just bought the Superb.  I have seen them for 300-400 and was planning on doing the CP and coding myself to save some cash. I do see that yours is the latest version though so worth the extra cost.

what are they like when hooked up to an iPhone? 

Fancy a mk4 Golf or e46 330d in part ex? :)

• 3 months later...