Bridgestone A005

Kenrw8

Only way to have traction on ice is to have studded tyres, in the 70s I ran with tyres that accepted studs. Had to swap or remove the studs when it was dry as they did tend to churn up the tarmac. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

Only way to have traction on ice is to have studded tyres, in the 70s I ran with tyres that accepted studs. Had to swap or remove the studs when it was dry as they did tend to churn up the tarmac. 

i have seen the studded tyres on rally cars...and also chains on standard tyres

how did those studs fix...screw in?

also some chaps keep a set of winter tyres on wheels...perhaps just for the traction wheels

cheers

geof

Winter tyres that you can put studs into have holes in the tread where the studs go, the studs are shaped in such away that they grip the hole and are usually fitted using a Air Gun that shoots the stud into the tyre. ( many moons ago I worked for Kenning Tyre services ). Never heard of studs that screwed in or were bonded into the tyre in my tyre fitting days perhaps things have changed.

I believe that Studded tyres for road use are now Illegal in the UK

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:05, Auric Goldfinger said:

Winter tyres that you can put studs into have holes in the tread where the studs go, the studs are shaped in such away that they grip the hole and are usually fitted using a Air Gun that shoots the stud into the tyre. ( many moons ago I worked for Kenning Tyre services ). Never heard of studs that screwed in or were bonded into the tyre in my tyre fitting days perhaps things have changed.

I believe that Studded tyres for road use are now Illegal in the UK

Hired a car is Iceland at the end of October, it had studded tyres, constant clickity clack sound from the studs on the tarmac ... didn't seem to damage the tarmac either, Temps were 7c and raining on day I returned the car. Studded tyres compulsory after 1st November. Plenty of Skoda cars there too. As stated above, studs are illegal on public roads in UK at all times.

Edited by Smileyman

^^^ They are indeed illegal on public roads in the UK.

But then there are those that have had roads that are snow and ice covered for a few days or even weeks like in 2010 and no black top ever showing 

that drove around on Studded Tyres. Power Driver and a bit of time studding them.  Or a trolley jack and change the Wheels & Tyres as needed.

No police or anyone else were saying anything because they really had not that many vehicles that they were able to move about with.

It happens that when sh!t happens you use what you can to help people out. If chains on or studs screwed into your tyres do the job then maybe that is what you do.

Stay off the tar though.

clova snow jimny jan10 033.JPG

jimny snow clova dec 09 044 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Offski

Returning to the A005 (instead of the hijacked thread discussing studs)

First impressions are very good, only on front currently (if good when backs bit more worn they will get a pair), turns out they are also directional and have V shaped sipes

Fairly quiet and car handles better (but that may not be the tyres as I sensibly got the front wheel alignment done after fitting).  

Obviously too early to comment on grip in snow/slush, but expecting them to grip much better in cold (below +7c) and expecting plenty of sleety rain midweek so might know sooner than later.

• Like 1

I have them on all 4vwheels and have no problems with them in the dry, car stays on the road. I too waiting for the inclemate weather to arrive to how they perform. As for rain they should easily handle that.

5 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Returning to the A005 (instead of the hijacked thread discussing studs)

First impressions are very good, only on front currently (if good when backs bit more worn they will get a pair), turns out they are also directional and have V shaped sipes

Fairly quiet and car handles better (but that may not be the tyres as I sensibly got the front wheel alignment done after fitting).  

Obviously too early to comment on grip in snow/slush, but expecting them to grip much better in cold (below +7c) and expecting plenty of sleety rain midweek so might know sooner than later.

the michelin fitters in costco in manchester told me if fitting pairs to fit rears first to avoid rear end breakaways

there was a diagram on the wall showing this

i used to favour front..on front wheel drive or rear for rear drive...but not rears on a fwd...regarding where to fit new pairs of tyres...

i always did the 4 so it didnt matter

cheers

geof

https://btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

Edited by mrcrow

Although this is becoming out of date now as all new cars since November 2014 have ESC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

But it can still help to stop your rear tyres becoming to old by swapping them to the front.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Although this is becoming out of date now as all new cars since November 2014 have ESC.

But it can still help to stop your rear tyres becoming to old by swapping them to the front.

Thanks AG Falco

magic!!

my old 1965 cortina 1500 5 bearing...even with new tyres on the back did some exciting rear end extravaganzas at roundabouts...i got so many dings and scrapes it was cheaper to just put underseal on them...

the bronze stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrcrow said:

some exciting rear end extravaganzas

I had a Triumph Dolomite Sprint that could turn around on a sixpence on a straight road.

Manhole covers when wet. :ohmy:

Thanks AG Falco

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 17:27, mrcrow said:

the michelin fitters in costco in manchester told me if fitting pairs to fit rears first to avoid rear end breakaways

there was a diagram on the wall showing this

i used to favour front..on front wheel drive or rear for rear drive...but not rears on a fwd...regarding where to fit new pairs of tyres...

i always did the 4 so it didnt matter

cheers

geof

https://btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

I think this is based on cars without ESC and assumes tyres are very worn with just 2-3mm tread

It is stretching the logic to assume that swapping the tyres from the front to rear with 4-6mm tread will induce pirouettes at every corner

12 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

A005 very highly rated for wet/dry braking, handling:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Unlike Germany, the vast majority of UK only sees few days of snow each year,  so the weightings on this test are not appropriate

So it is top (or 2nd) of the wet and dry tests, but weaker in the snow

but not that much worse in snow, about 15% poorer for snow braking, only about 5% lower for snow handling

• Haha 1

Hardly matters if there is 1 hour & 5 miles of road with lying snow if that is the time you need to do your braking and not want to hit something.

It might just be a road in a town or City Centre.

The majority of the UK is not half way down from the middle of England by the way.

Wet place in a lot of the UK some of the year and there are places with roads that have snow lying for not just days but weeks, or gone today and back tomorrow,

same the next day or the next week.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I'm not sure about the above assertion that only studded tyres can grip on ice. There would be little point in using tyres such as http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Weather-Control-A005.htm   otherwise. When snow is compacted and also melting , it turns to ice. All seasons tyres obviously are better in those circumstances than summer tyres. The tests prove that.

I'm awaiting on Wednesdays snow on the hills to try out my Vredestein Quatrac 5.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Unlike Germany, the vast majority of UK only sees few days of snow each year,  so the weightings on this test are not appropriate

Maybe that's the case in Surrey but not up here on the edge of the Pennines...

I think the only thing putting me off the Bridgestones at the moment is the noise levels - it seems to be significantly behind the others in that respect and, whilst that is lower down the priority list than the other safety-related elements, it is something that I'd be putting up with on a daily basis through the year.

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

I think the only thing putting me off the Bridgestones at the moment is the noise levels - it seems to be significantly behind the others in that respect and, whilst that is lower down the priority list than the other safety-related elements, it is something that I'd be putting up with on a daily basis through the year.

The Bridgestone weather control are wet rated as A, fuel as C and 71db whereas Michelin are B , C and 68db on one site the noise of a shower or washing machine is 70db, on them terms there is not too much of difference  between them.For reference  60db is half as loud as 70db so on the motorway again you'd hardly not notice the difference between 71 db Bridgestone and a 68 db Michelin as car at 65mph is about 77db but you would in the wet  performance (A vs B ) and we have lot of wet weather.

Rainsport are 72db, Pilot sport 72db, Quatrac 69 db, BF goodrich g-grip 69 db 

Edited by Kenrw8

On 18/11/2018 at 18:18, AGFalco said:

Thanks AG Falco

Well my 2011 Fabia does not have ESP or ESC or Traction Control, so I'm relying on my choice of Monroe OEMspectrum sport dampers, Polyflex bushes, an LSD and the Bridgestone's and me to keep the car on the road and moving in the inclement weather that comes our way.

Edited by Kenrw8

40 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

The Bridgestone weather control are wet rated as A, fuel as C and 71db whereas Michelin are B , C and 68db on one site the noise of a shower or washing machine is 70db, on them terms there is not too much of difference  between them.For reference  60db is half as loud as 70db so on the motorway again you'd hardly not notice the difference between 71 db Bridgestone and a 68 db Michelin as car at 65mph is about 77db but you would in the wet  performance (A vs B ) and we have lot of wet weather.

Rainsport are 72db, Pilot sport 72db, Quatrac 69 db, BF goodrich g-grip 69 db 

I think you may have your numbers wrong here...   A 3db change in noise level is equivalent to a doubling in noise level as its a logarithmic scale of measurement.  I've had bridgestones and Yokohama's with a 71 or 72 dB noise level previously (other tyre versions) and they were significantly noisier.  As a result I've always looked for low noise high grip three in the past such as the Michelin's and vredestein ultac sessantas for summer.  Granted in the wet noise levels will be significantly higher whatever the base level.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I think you may have your numbers wrong here...   A 3db change in noise level is equivalent to a doubling in noise level as its a logarithmic scale of measurement.  I've had bridgestones and Yokohama's with a 71 or 72 dB noise level previously (other tyre versions) and they were significantly noisier.  As a result I've always looked for low noise high grip three in the past such as the Michelin's and vredestein ultac sessantas for summer.  Granted in the wet noise levels will be significantly higher whatever the base level.

Taken from here

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm

Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB).

Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people.

Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet.

Half as loud as 70 dB. Fairly quiet.

10 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

Taken from here

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm

Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB).

Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people.

Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet.

Half as loud as 70 dB. Fairly quiet.

Interesting...   But clearly wrong.  I'm involved in environmental assessment of highway schemes in a professional basis at work and is includes noise assessments and 3db is definitely a doubling in noise level intensity...

https://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html

Having said that it is subjective and the page I've linked to does suggest perception is that 10db change is a doubling.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 2