Bridgestone A005

Kenrw8

in your link

https://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html

Loudness and Sound Intensity (Power)

The relative loudness that we perceive is a subjective psychological phenomenon, not something that can be objectively measured. Most of us perceive one sound to be twice as loud as another one when they are about 10 dB apart; for instance, a 60-dB air conditioner will sound twice as loud as a 50-dB refrigerator. Yet that 10-dB difference represents a tenfold increase in intensity. A 70-dB dishwasher will sound about four times as loud as the 50-dB refrigerator, but in terms of acoustic intensity, the sound it makes is 100 times as powerful.

Here's another way of looking at it: If the sound from one typewriter registers 60 dB, then ten typewriters clacking away would register 70 dB (not 600 dB!), and they would sound only twice as loud as one typewriter. You would need 100 typewriters to reach a noise level of 80 dB, and together they would sound only four times as loud as a single typewriter.

Sound Level Sound Intensity (Power) Perceived Loudness
60 dB 1x 1y
70 dB 10x 2y
80 dB 100x 4y

and taken from

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say.
Doubling the sound pressure (voltage) corresponds to a measured level change of +6 dB 
Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB.

+10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.
+6 dB is the level of twice the (RMS) value of voltage respectively sound pressure − mostly measured 
+3 dB is the level of twice the energy or power respectively intensity − mostly calculated.

and again

Edited by Kenrw8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

in your link

https://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html

Loudness and Sound Intensity (Power)

The relative loudness that we perceive is a subjective psychological phenomenon, not something that can be objectively measured. Most of us perceive one sound to be twice as loud as another one when they are about 10 dB apart; for instance, a 60-dB air conditioner will sound twice as loud as a 50-dB refrigerator. Yet that 10-dB difference represents a tenfold increase in intensity. A 70-dB dishwasher will sound about four times as loud as the 50-dB refrigerator, but in terms of acoustic intensity, the sound it makes is 100 times as powerful.

Here's another way of looking at it: If the sound from one typewriter registers 60 dB, then ten typewriters clacking away would register 70 dB (not 600 dB!), and they would sound only twice as loud as one typewriter. You would need 100 typewriters to reach a noise level of 80 dB, and together they would sound only four times as loud as a single typewriter.

Sound Level Sound Intensity (Power) Perceived Loudness
60 dB 1x 1y
70 dB 10x 2y
80 dB 100x 4y

and taken from

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say.
Doubling the sound pressure (voltage) corresponds to a measured level change of +6 dB 
Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB.

+10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.
+6 dB is the level of twice the (RMS) value of voltage respectively sound pressure − mostly measured 
+3 dB is the level of twice the energy or power respectively intensity − mostly calculated.

and again

Yep...   As I said 3db is a doubling in intensity but some perceive 10bd as a doubling...   So maybe I'm more sensitive

I sorry if I've caused any annoyance.

I suppose what, should have wrote, I'm saying that a car at 65 mph is iro of 70db and tyre noise level below this there would be no noticeable change in noise to most people and same may said for tyres of 71 and possible 72 but at 73 and above then an noise difference would be noticed.

For example I had new pair Rainsport 3 on my front wheels and at 72db and I replaced them after a few weeks as I did notice them the to be louder than the Tristar ecopower (69db) that they replaced, now with the Bridgestone (71 Db) fitted the noise is noticeable lower than the Rainsports  and would say no louder as the Tristars.

But to each there own, every hearing is not the same, my advise on my recent experience is where possible to get tyres of no more than 71db with the best Wet rating and highest Fuel rating at an affordable price (in my case £80 each fitted), Michelin Crossclimates cost more (£95-100 mark ea) , don't have the size I wanted , high enough Wet rating, the Bridgestones fitted my needs and prove successful snow properties.

@Kenrw8 - What @skomaz says about noise levels is correct. Similarly with what you say, both for certain values of "correct".

The dB scale is what we call a Log10 scale. That is, an increase of 10dB represents a doubling of the noise intensity (and yes 3dB means that the noise intensity is increased by 1.5 times the lower level). So in the case of tyres, an increase in driveby noise (as measured in the EU tests) will not necessarily represent a similar increase in cabin noise due to the tyre not being the only source of cabin noise, and indeed variations in the noise path from the tyres to the cabin having much more of an effect than changes in the simpler noise path from the tyre to the environment.

@gregoir Driving across ice, or slush or snow is not the same off camber, around a bend etc. So location location location, 

conditions and vehicles etc.

Braking and coming to a halt safely on ice, snow, slush, rain etc again is different from just getting across a surface in a straight line in control and with traction or no traction just momentum.

&

As to noise levels surely that comes lowest in priority if talking Nearest and Dearests safety in your vehicle or other road users, Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn or always and every trip.

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

As to noise levels surely that comes lowest in priority if talking Nearest and Dearests safety in your vehicle or other road users, Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn or always and every trip.

Agreed - but if I have the choice of two tyres that are very close in performance terms but have differing noise levels then noise does come into the equation - and I probably would choose the quieter of the two to aid overall safety through the lesser effect on driver fatigue etc.

i have looked at tyre ratings a bit and would go for better mileage, wet next and sound last

i understand the scientific approach and notwithstanding just choose the one with the lowest Db if i was to choose for sound or the A B C type of notation

where i am the roads are of various surfaces...some old, some recently resurfaced with a smooth surface

i can hear the difference as i drive from one to another

also

i can hear the car passing me as well.....food for thought.... how do i keep that sound out...its not affected by the other car's sound insulation

anyone living beside a busy road can acknowledge this when sitting in their living rooms etc

that is why i dont bother about sound ratings and discern between economy and wet characteristics...

i do about 4-6 thousand miles a year and drive locally 60-65

when using motorways 70 on cruise control and up to 85 to overtake/avoidance

i avoid unnecessary acceleration

the present tyres are kumho and

the ratings for the Kumho Ecsta KU39 are C/B/71Db...economy/ wet performance..lateral aquaplaning/sound level

i like to match makes but wouldnt be needing the existing Kumho's replaced which are on the front but the rears which are a different maker and the ones on the car when i bought it...

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

The DB figure quoted are drive-by are they not? Who cares what the neighbours hear? Its the noise in the cabin that's important.

Yes; I did imply that yesterday in the "science bit" above!

In all honesty I've never had a tyre where I've thought it overly noisey.  Yes, some are marginally more noisey, but then so too are cars and I'm enjoying the feedback from the resonator in my latest one.

One of the benefits to noise is that it makes wild animals (and old folk) more aware you're coming - unless they're pheasants and remain oblivious.

• Haha 1

With my car, (O2 pre-FL 2005) the engine noise make much more difference than a tyre. And also, the noise differences are on the tyre, which doesn't have to be noticable inside the car. So yes, 3dB less noise makes a difference, but I can imagine it will be only 1dB within the car. 

For me, it doesn't that much (But if you have a fully electric car this might be difference). Roadsurface has much more effect on the noise inside than the difference between tyres.

Regarding the Bridgestone: It's also on my list. The weather here (Netherlands) is pretty similar to parts of the UK: Mostly dry or rain, less snow. So for me, real snow performance isn't as important as handling in wet. 

The Bridgestone is however a new tyre so there aren't many reviews yet. Also no sure about its wearing on the long term. 

• Like 1

Steering this thread back on track (puns intended!), I had a set of these fitted this afternoon.

First impressions after a 70 mile motorway journey are positive, quieter and more comfortable than the factory fitted Bridgestone Potenza S001, a little less direct feeling, but would expect that from a new tyre, and especially one not sportily focussed, so not marking that down as a negative.

The car does feel lighter though, as if there’s less rolling resistance; acceleration feels a little more eager, and the car feels like it’s rolling to stop more freely, so let’s see if that has an impact on fuel economy.

I had them fitted by BMTR in Birmingham, as they offer road force balancing...if you’ve not had this done before and want a smooth ride, I can thoroughly recommend it. As such the ride is super-smooth with absolutely no vibration.

I am also very happy with BMTR’s care and attention in the way they handled my wheels, took their time with the balancing, finished it off with the little details of lining up the bottom of the wheel centre badges with the valve, and even putting the locking wheel nuts at the top of the badge on each wheel!

As my old tyres all have 4-5mm tread, they also wrapped them up so as not to trash my interior, and I took them back to sell, hint, hint...

Couple this with a nice warm and clean waiting area, free tea & coffee, and free wifi so I could sit and work, at less than £20 more per corner than Black Circles using random fitters, that’s more than worth it.

The only negative point I can find (with the tyres) is the while they have a big rim protector, the tyre walls are slightly narrower than the Potenzas, and as such the tyre wall is flush with the ridiculously proud face of the 18” Geminis...I’m going to have to be really careful near kerbs...

Let’s see how they fare as they run in, as I’ve got a couple of big trips up north with work before Christmas.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Cubbington
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I've now covered 300 miles thereabouts since fitting these tires and I must say I'm very pleased. Car seems to be a lot quieter with these than with the rain sport 3. Traction seems to be very good not had much rain to test out in the wet. Managed to get some tyre spin but no squeaking but that may be done to the LSD I've had fitted. So overall I'm very pleased with them and recommend them. Going up to Edinburgh next week so it'll give me chance to judge them on a long run of 240 miles thereabouts.

Also pleased with the dry handling of them in this recent weather they are very grippy.

Edited by Kenrw8
  • Like 1

Well been on three day trip Edinburgh and the tyres performed really well when we travelled up with a few light showers on the journey.

Coming back today with a few heavy showers I was very confident and comfortable with them. Coming down the A7 proved their grip on some fairly fast dry and wet bends. Also involving a fast overtake of two cars plus artic which required a drive through some large  puddles, the grip was there to overtake safely.

I too have been impressed with the A005 especially when there are large puddles / heavy rain.  Almost feels like it is pushing the puddle out of the way (and maybe those V shaped grooves do that to some extent).

Seems much better on the one icy / frosty morning we had so far, felt positive rather than skittish (compared to the old summer Bridgestone A001)

Obviously far too early to discuss wear or how it handles in snow

I have done about 850 miles (410 on this trip) and very pleased with them. As for mpg / range I think Im getting better, the Tristars I had before I got 360-400 miles to a tank at present this now indicating minimum better than 390. So a small improvement. But should be expected as the Tristars were rated E whereas these Bridgestone are rated C. 

47 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I too have been impressed with the A005 especially when there are large puddles / heavy rain.  Almost feels like it is pushing the puddle out of the way (and maybe those V shaped grooves do that to some extent).

Seems much better on the one icy / frosty morning we had so far, felt positive rather than skittish (compared to the old summer Bridgestone A001)

Obviously far too early to discuss wear or how it handles in snow

I agree with your comments, wet grip is very good, on par with Rainsports 3 I had on for about 3 weeks which they should be as both rated A for the wet.

Edited by Kenrw8

17 hours ago, Smileyman said:

will be pleased to know how the fuel consumption compares with your previous tyres ....

Realistically going to have to wait at least 3-5 refills to get an idea, and probably a lot longer as the car always uses more on cold winter mornings, and the temperature change is going to dominate any marginal fuel change due to different tyres.

Covered around 1k miles on these now, and really pleased with them.

Same experiences as both @Kenrw8 & @SurreyJohn with regards to handling and wet weather performance...and they are soooooo much quieter than the S001 summers.

Not sure about fuel economy yet, as I’ve had mix of a lot of stationary traffic and carrying a lot of weight in the boot since having these fitted, so not noticed and increase/decrease in economy as yet!

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, have been staying at a cottage in East Devon, and have had plenty of rain.  The A005s have performed brilliantly on roads with streams running down them.

There are 2 ways to the cottage, one is down a hill (signposted 33%) and a longer flatter route.  Even though water was pouring off the fields and a continuous stream running down the road, no problems climbing back up the hill.  Can’t fault the wet grip.  Had serious concerns about going up that hill in the wet, but not the slightest slip.  Amazing in the rain.

For info, fitted 195 / 55 R15 89V XL on the roomster, £88 (before M&S card rebate) from Halfords fully fitted  (which seemed a competitive price).  Slightly cheaper online, but not much difference by time they were fitted.  Worth every penny.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

Nice to hear you’re still pleased with them, and same here - covered a few hundred more miles in miserable weather up north since my last post, and no complaints.

I ordered a set for Mrs Cubbington’s car just before Christmas and am having them fitted tomorrow...

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

After about 1000 miles since I fitted mine I too am still pleased with the choice.

Both the dry and wet performance is very good, with the wet it is brilliant.

Look forward to seeing what the performance in the snow.

Ken

Edited by Kenrw8
  • Like 1

Had them fitted to Mrs C’s Fiesta this morning and considering they were replacing a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 that weren’t worn down to stupid levels, again, really impressed just after covering a 20 mile trip.

It also shows how ridiculously proud the Skoda Gemini’s faces are, as the tyres sit proud by at least 5mm on the Fiesta’s alloys, so at least they’ve got some kerb protection :notme:

I did get the alignment checked and I know that’s helped too...

89260546-7908-40EC-9427-531B832202BB.thumb.jpeg.71e5fbe955f32d69aa11c07b4fb323db.jpeg

Great job done by Chris Mullins Tyres in Gloucester; I think I found them on the recommended fitters thread, and can thoroughly recommend them.

Cheers,

Nick

One more update for these (on the Octavia), after doing a 200 mile round trip today with temperatures down to -5 degrees this morning!

Basically these tyres really came into their own, and the phrase ‘sticks like poo to a blanket’ came to mind.

On twisty fast roads heading down to the Dorset coast, the car felt totally planted and solid, maybe even more so than in the warmer weather...

Have a good weekend all,

Nick

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just to bring this upto date, entered a side road in Oxford with frozen icy snow across it, and was glad I had these, no problems with slipping.  Just as easy as driving along a damp road.

Now totally converted to (A rated in the wet) all seasons like the A005.   

Realised summer tyres in UK used all year are now a daft concept.

My only problem is finding all season tyres for my other car due to its 215/45 R18 wheels which are rare, currently only Maxxis or Vredestein make the size.  Hopefully will be more choice by Autumn 2019 as too late now to change second car so may as well get some wear out of the Pirelli P7s