Anyone changed there own windscreen?

hebby

Well long story but got a chip and crack in the windscreen and needs replacing :(  and to top off my luck its MOT day this week so has to be done. So has anyone done there own screen? i don't mind having a go myself as im a bit of a hands on person but wanted to make sure theres no hidden parts/clips that may snap off where i need to go and pick up some more. 

Already got an original screen from the breakers. 

Fabia 1.9 SDI

I don't understand, how can you fit a secondhand bonded windscreen? The old screen will be covered in adhesive all round the edge, you'd have to get it surgically clean somehow to reapply fresh (expensive) adhesive, then pick it up and put in place with suction grips and tape it in place while the adhesive sets.

Are you quite sure?

You can do it yourself like most things , however the windscreen is structural to the car so needs to fitted properly. Incorrectly fit and it not only weakens the car but you will have increased wind noise and possible water ingress. 

If you can find a new windscreen cheap enough then get a professional to fit it, they won’t touch second hand ones. 

You will need to purchase windscreen adhesive, a glass cutting kit and you will need some sort of blade to scrape off the old adhesive, having 2 glass suction cups would also help. It seems like a 2 people job, at least for me as it would be hard for you to put the windscreen in its correct centre position, with the temperatures dropping its also not the best time to do this as it will take longer for the glue to dry and there is a risk that some water could get in. If youre prepared to do all of that yourself then it isnt a massively difficult job

I was told by the chap who replaced one for me that the bonding of the windscreen was very important as the efficiency of the airbags depend on it; that's why makers went from the old, sealed in a rubber strip type, to bonded. If the windscreen pops out the bags don't work.

18 minutes ago, totoro said:

I was told by the chap who replaced one for me that the bonding of the windscreen was very important as the efficiency of the airbags depend on it; that's why makers went from the old, sealed in a rubber strip type, to bonded. If the windscreen pops out the bags don't work.

That's nonsense, the screen is structural which is why it's bonded, it's part of the monocoque which contributes to the deformation resistance of the bodyshell it was like this before airbags were even fitted.

11 hours ago, totoro said:

As @sepulchrave says, with the additional note that the change from rubber mounted to bonded windscreens pre-dates airbags by several years.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

As @sepulchrave says, with the additional note that the change from rubber mounted to bonded windscreens pre-dates airbags by several years.

I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just stating what a chap told me, As a person trained by a major windscreen company I assumed he knew what he was talking about

6 hours ago, totoro said:

I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just stating what a chap told me, As a person trained by a major windscreen company I assumed he knew what he was talking about

So if youve got the side windows open youre airbags wont work either then?

33 minutes ago, JWvrs25 said:

I know, it's like the blind leading the blind, I guess the myth is based on the idea that an unbonded windscreen will simply pop out during an airbag deployment.

It's what's known as a logical fallacy.

3 hours ago, JWvrs25 said:

If you read my post it says "I was told by the chap", not that I was saying anything other than repeat what someone else had said.

If you want to build straw men to knock down then get on with it if it amuses you.

1 hour ago, totoro said:

If you read my post it says "I was told by the chap", not that I was saying anything other than repeat what someone else had said.

If you want to build straw men to knock down then get on with it if it amuses you.

You need to install a filter so that you don't parrot obvious nonsense otherwise you just appear gullible.

It was an alternative fact, fake news 

I notice the OP has been avoiding this thread like the plague since he figured out it's much quicker and easier to just pay the windscreen excess on his insurance.

11 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@totoro - You posted a statement that is an obvious pile of fetid dingo's kidneys. People around here tend to react to stuff like that, not least to warn you to avoid "the chap in question" in the future.

I suggest you tell that to the next windscreen fitter you see, he might give a toss.

On 20/11/2018 at 18:20, sepulchrave said:

I know, it's like the blind leading the blind, I guess the myth is based on the idea that an unbonded windscreen will simply pop out during an airbag deployment.

It's what's known as a logical fallacy.

Auto Glass Fact #2

The windshield is an important component of the airbag deployment system. 

Your windshield is classified as a "safety device" because it provides structural strength to your vehicle and helps to keep passengers inside the car if an accident should occur. It supports the inflation and performance of passenger side airbags. The passenger side airbag deploys upward and off the windshield at speeds up to 200 mph. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require adhesives to be nearly six times stronger for cars with passenger side airbags.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 17:42, hebby said:

So has anyone done there own screen?

It's looking like a "no", but I'd be glad to hear about your success if you do go for it, and any tips you can offer others afterwards. Presumably some youtube vids exist, probably not model-specific but worth a look?

Does your car have a passenger side airbag?

Edited by Wino

On 19/11/2018 at 21:45, totoro said:

...that's why makers went from the old, sealed in a rubber strip type, to bonded.

This is the part that isn't true.

Fully bonded screens are much older than airbags and I'm not trying to sell anything.

• Like 1