1.0 or 1.5 TSI??

Badger75

Hi All,

Currently a Fabia 1.2 TSI driver but looking to get a new Karoq as family are growing so need more space in the back and I am doing more miles now with work so I want a more comfortable ride. I can't decide if the extra money for a 1.5 is worth it. I'm of an age where it was all about engine size but I appreciate things have moved on!  Just worried if I saved a few quid and got the 1.0 I would feel the difference on longer motorway journeys or when overtaking with the family on board. Anyone with experience of both? TIA.

I tested the 1.0 last week and if they'd been available to order I'd have done the deal there and then.....however, I hadn't done my homework and the model I tested didn't have the GPF so in a way I'm pleased I wasn't able to order as I'd be wanting to test the 2019 version before committing......during the week I decided (or the wife did) to go for the 1.5 but the lack of a test drive all the negative feedback on the forums has put me off, might just go for the diesel and to hell with the anti-diesel politics.

• Like 1

I have a 1.5 manual and am thoroughly enjoying it.  It drives beautifully and I find that if you give it 1500 revs or more it pulls away just fine and not experiencing kangarooing or just pull off slowly with 1000/1100 and again it is fine. (I do get a minor hesitation but the Qashqai was seriously 10 times worse!) Once you are driving allow it is a lovely smooth and quiet drive - especially now I am on 17" wheels and Cross climate tyres (the 19" Bridgestones were loud!).

It is the best car I have ever had and I would recommend the 1.5 although mine is MY18 so no filter. Get as many toys as you can as they all really make life easier.

I got it in May.  I have experienced that it is easy to stall if not enough revs are used in 1st or 2nd but then adapted and no problem.  If I pull away at about 1200 revs or so then there is a little hic cup bat soon passes - pulling away at higher revs above 15/1600 seems to work in Normal or Sport setting.  I find a little tap on the accelerator helps the brake release smooth as well and temperature doesn't affect it.

Everything else works so easily that little extra revs seems a small price to pay for a great car.  Having had a Qashqai 1.2 I think I was already used to driving with a small engine and big turbo and so was aware of the inherent low relative power in low gears before the turbo kicks in - I never liked my Audi Q3 2.0  diesel as I felt it pushed me when braking or in low gears and wonder if this is the flip side of the coin?

Edited by Marchincus

150 CP are still >> 115 CP, independent of later introduction of the GPF. I drove the 1.6 TDI and it didn't have any punch of power, especially after 100km/h. Mine 2.0 TDI has much more power resources. I like it.

28 minutes ago, Marchincus said:

I got it in May.  I have experienced that it is easy to stall if not enough revs are used in 1st or 2nd but then adapted and no problem.  If I pull away at about 1200 revs or so then there is a little hic cup bat soon passes - pulling away at higher revs above 15/1600 seems to work in Normal or Sport setting.  I find a little tap on the accelerator helps the brake release smooth as well and temperature doesn't affect it.

Everything else works so easily that little extra revs seems a small price to pay for a great car.  Having had a Qashqai 1.2 I think I was already used to driving with a small engine and big turbo and so was aware of the inherent low relative power in low gears before the turbo kicks in - I never liked my Audi Q3 2.0  diesel as I felt it pushed me when braking or in low gears and wonder if this is the flip side of the coin?

Got mine in August....I find myself riding the clutch to compensate and I makes my left knee sore after so long! Other than that give it some beans and it pulls away better. It's odd as the 1.4 TSI is fine in the other Skodas I have driven? Small engine big turbo.

I had actually ordered a 1.4 TSI Superb Estate but then 2 weeks later they came back and said the only Petrol models available would be the 1.5 Karoq, looked great in silver so I bit the bullet and took a leap of faith as there were no petrol demonstrators.

The 1 litre is good engine, and will be ok majority of the time, only time it will struggle is up big hills fully loaded

The 1.5 obviously has more power, so is better if you live in a hilly area

MY19 1.5 litre engines are designed to work with DSG gearboxes, if you specify the manual you will find they are poor at low speed (there is even a thread on how easy it is to stall)

Actually both engines are miles better with the DSG box as the extra gear keeps it in the sweet spot.  These efficient tsi petrol engines are not that tolerant of lazy gear changing

• Like 4

On 01/12/2018 at 15:56, Badger75 said:

Hi All,

Currently a Fabia 1.2 TSI driver but looking to get a new Karoq as family are growing so need more space in the back and I am doing more miles now with work so I want a more comfortable ride. I can't decide if the extra money for a 1.5 is worth it. I'm of an age where it was all about engine size but I appreciate things have moved on!  Just worried if I saved a few quid and got the 1.0 I would feel the difference on longer motorway journeys or when overtaking with the family on board. Anyone with experience of both? TIA.

We have both the Fabia 1.2 TSI and the Karoq 1.5 in DSG form.  There is little to choose in acceleration, pulling power etc. between our 2 cars. I have not tried the 1.0l Karoq but it develops roughly the same power/torque as your existing car. As the Karoq rides higher and is heavier I expect it will struggle a little compared to your existing car - esp. overtaking or long hills?

As has been said before, the 1.5 is at its very best when mated to the DSG box. It may have been designed around it.

Our Fabia has 6 gears and is nippy. But when driving it Im aware of the constant gear-changing. Im definitely sold on the DSG gearbox.

I've ordered a 1.5 DS Karoq without test driving a 1 ltr or 1.5 ltr of any configuration. I have driven my brothers Fabia with DSG and liked it. I have never owned a twin cluch car but  when driving the works vans they are all 6 speed manuals and I find them a bit of a pain, forever seeing the shift warning.

My wife drives a Toyota Aygo which is a three cylinder 1 ltr. You have to keep the revs up, I call it the little growler. The Karoq 3 cylinder 1 ltr may be different?  but I think some 3 cylinder engines sound a bit lumpy. That's why I decided on the 4 cylinder 1.5 and fuel consumption is supposed to be almost identical. If you can, test drive one of each, and then decide.

Hi All,

I think you would notice. Then wish you had more grunt. In fact, wishing you had as much as possible.

Not many complain of having too much power / torque. And the fuel delta is negligible.

Hi All,

Be sure to read this first, and whichever you choose make sure you test drive one first...

Its your money, so ultimately your choice, but unless you live in a hilly area, I would opt for the 1 litre DSG over the 1.5 manual

spend the extra that you are considering for upgrading to 1.5 on the DSG and 5 year warranty instead

My logic is that both tsi engines are far happier with the DSG gearboxes (extra gear, and changes happen when engine wants them).  

However if you choose the 1.5 manual (which is not happy at low speeds, and apparently easy to stall), you might regret choosing it

If you choose either tsi engine and manual, you really need to be keen on gear changing frequently.

My only caveat, is if you regularly drive fully loaded in hilly area, then 1.5 (or 2 litre) is better

• Like 2

Can't speak to the 1.5 but we had two 1.2 Yetis before the 1.0 karoq and notice no difference. There's normally only the two of us but we regularly punt up and down to the smoke on the M1 fully loaded and it's been fine. The Karoq *feels* more refined too.

All have been DSGs.

Edited by Michael G
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I drive both a Fabia Mark 3 1.0 TSI (manual 95psi) and a 1.5 Karoq DSG (auto, TSI).  Both are fine, indeed I am very suprised how well the Fabia drives compared to our old Aygo 1.0, the 1.0 TSI in the Fabia is very smooth.  The Karoq with the 1.5 auto is very quiet, make sure you test drive the version you intend to buy as the non electric driver's seat we found uncomfortable.

I have the 1.0L , Just ride it , the 116HP is true 116HP , and as the engine matures it will be much better!  no problem with weight , less consumption , less tax,!!!

^^^ They are 115ps so under 114 bhp,  but then that is the minimum PS / BHP that they produce in global conditions not the maximum.

Give them the right height above sea level not extremes of weather and good fuel and it would be mis-selling if they were not to produce at least 115ps.

@Tezaman

where are the Karoq 1.0TSI's selling like crazy and is that Skoda spin, or something being said by Skoda sales people?

Seeing as the engine options are a bit limited for the Karoq people buying or leasing one need to chose from the limited choices of petrols and drivetrains is not wanting a diesel.

If VW Group & Skoda do not get a grip with the reputation the 1.5 TSI manuals are getting then more might chose the 1.0TSI.

Time will tell how the 1.0TSI's do after the manufacturers warranties expire.

Some might think twice before purchasing one if they are to be a keeper, or buy the extended warranty before first registration to get 5 years peace of mind.

It will be a while before we know if VW have it right with 1.0TSI's or 1.5 / 2.0TSI and Gasoline Particulate Filters.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

1.0l or 1.5l i extended my warranty already to 4 years , But  if  things goes wrong will go wrong for the 1.5l also . My friends  latest YETI 1.5l TSI Engine Failed , started to burn oil. 4.000 Euro to fix the engine...

Anyway 1.0l is already passed to tiguan also , its trustworthy , for 4 years the skoda octavia i think was with 1.0l engine with no problems. 

• Like 1

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  

The thing is that 4 years of reliability is about 4 years of 1.0TSI's.    VW reset the clock, they have fitted Gasoline Particulate Filters and new engine management to get through the WLTP with the emission figures they required and filled the engines with VW508/509 oil, so 0w 20 FS LL.  

It will all come out in the wash eventually, lets hope they advanced through technology. 

PS

Ford were doing so well with 1.0 Ecoboost,  sold like crazy for years, all was well until it went a bit Pete Tong....

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46180703

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1