Columbus Map Update for 2019

RichardPB

May I ask, Richard, how you found out about the map update, please?

We bought a Karoq SEL a couple of months ago (Amundsen system) and were informed that  a new map was normally available twice a year (November + ?); it was accessible via the sd card/computer. We were advised not to download the 'latest' one, however, because it had a 'virus' present (I assume he meant 'bug') which took you off at a motorway junction, sent you on a scenic jaunt, then put you back onto the motorway at the next junction.

I didn't think to enquire at the time, but my Tomtom receives frequent 'software' updates as well as any map updates; how does a Skoda system receive new software updates?

Thanks for the link, Kenny, it certainly looks like the place to go.

I put in my vin no and, with typical Teutonic authority, was informed that there were two updates for my map system - then it proceeded to list 7 updates, 4 of which mentioned the UK. The version on my car is ECE1 2018/19. The updates listed by Skoda are ECE 7 2019/20, ECE 4 2019/20, ECE 6 2019/20, ECE 1 2019/20 along with 3 others which don't mention the UK.

The question now is which one do I choose ...... and how do I know which one has the dodgy motorway bug? And, do I need to delete all data from the old card, with the download replacing everything?

My friend with the T-roc tells me that he didn't specify a satnav and instead uses his i-phone via usb .......... "it's far better!"

9 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I put in my vin no and, with typical Teutonic authority, was informed that there were two updates for my map system - then it proceeded to list 7 updates, 4 of which mentioned the UK. The version on my car is ECE1 2018/19. The updates listed by Skoda are ECE 7 2019/20, ECE 4 2019/20, ECE 6 2019/20, ECE 1 2019/20 along with 3 others which don't mention the UK.

The question now is which one do I choose ...... and how do I know which one has the dodgy motorway bug? And, do I need to delete all data from the old card, with the download replacing everything?

My friend with the T-roc tells me that he didn't specify a satnav and instead uses his i-phone via usb .......... "it's far better!"

I Don't think any of them have a bug as they are all new. I downloaded the last update and there was no bug. If you have ECE1 2018/19 try ECE 1 2019/20 if not try the next and so on. These updates are there until the next update. Save your MAPs you have got now then delete them off the card then you can always put them back on

Edited by skoda1982

On 05/12/2018 at 00:14, RichardPB said:

A new map update for 2019 is available to download via the update portal for the Columbus system.

Thanks for the hint. I downloaded the update and extracted to USB for my Columbus. The update took about 35 mins and even though it said it failed at the end of the update (100%) the SW Version page says that it all worked correctly as the 2019 versions are listed.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:54, StEdmund said:

There may be a much quicker and easier way, but I popped my SD card into my PC, then looked in the "maps\00\nds" folder - Open the text  file "dbinfo" and scroll to the end of the line - Mine says SystemName="ECE1 2018/19"

Has anyone had any issues with downloading the new maps onto a SD card using a Mac?  I'm struggling a bit with mine, the maps were downloaded from the Skoda portal to my Mac, unzipped into a file, the file contents were then copied into a brand new 32Gb SD card, and it looks like all the files are indeed on the card. From there though, when I attempt to upload these to my Columbus unit via either of the two SD card slot it initially see the card inserted, then searches for the new software for quite a while before coming back with an error.

In the past I've managed to just do maps updates for the UK via wifi, but using the Skoda portal it's all or nothing. Any ideas? 

29 minutes ago, westie38 said:

Has anyone had any issues with downloading the new maps onto a SD card using a Mac?  I'm struggling a bit with mine, the maps were downloaded from the Skoda portal to my Mac, unzipped into a file, the file contents were then copied into a brand new 32Gb SD card, and it looks like all the files are indeed on the card. From there though, when I attempt to upload these to my Columbus unit via either of the two SD card slot it initially see the card inserted, then searches for the new software for quite a while before coming back with an error.

In the past I've managed to just do maps updates for the UK via wifi, but using the Skoda portal it's all or nothing. Any ideas? 

I believe Macs leave files on the SD card that the Columbus doesn’t like or recognise. I’m sure someone will be along that’s got a Mac a tell you what you need to run to remove these files from the SD card.

28 minutes ago, westie38 said:

I think the problem is the New SD card - Is it a Skoda Nav card, or one you have bought?

Just been reading some past post regarding using a Mac. I've downloaded an App called Clean My Drive 2, so I'll give that a go and let you know. The new card is a Scandisk Ultra 32Gb 80MB/s. I did read previous posts about using Skoda SD cards, but I would have thought they would have sourced their SD cards from somewhere similar, as I can't see them having a dedicated manufacturing facility.

Edited by westie38
spelling

So, cleaned the card using the downloaded app - it did clean something I think?  Tried updating again, but still get the same error message. How in God's name is it done at a Skoda dealership, because there's no way they would have the time or patience to faff around? In my wife's Q3 its navigation comes with its own dedicated SD card which is linked to that particular car only (allegedly), as was my Kuga nav card. If you wanted a map update you have to buy a new SD card (Audi or Ford).

Perhaps I do have something in common with Skoda - Simply Not Clever. :D

13 minutes ago, westie38 said:

So, cleaned the card using the downloaded app - it did clean something I think?  Tried updating again, but still get the same error message. How in God's name is it done at a Skoda dealership, because there's no way they would have the time or patience to faff around? In my wife's Q3 its navigation comes with its own dedicated SD card which is linked to that particular car only (allegedly), as was my Kuga nav card. If you wanted a map update you have to buy a new SD card (Audi or Ford).

Perhaps I do have something in common with Skoda - Simply Not Clever. :D

I have mac book pro and delete what’s on Skoda sd card then copy the downloaded (unzipped) file to sd card. Never had any issues on my Octavia or karoq. Is your sd card a high speed one? I’d use the one which came with car. Does your maps folder have two folders inside? One folder is 00. 

Hi Ozzy, I'm using a Mac Book pro also. The Columbus doesn't come with a SD card, as all the software is on its HD. The SD card has the following: HIGH12_P175_EU_2019 and WMPInfo.xml. From there it has: metainfo2.txt and two folders named Mib1 & Mib2. Inside these it has all the EU countries etc.

The card is a Scandisk Ultra 80MB/s. 

I suspect you have to use the original matched card....or at least an original card that has some hidden inaccesible files

Makes sense to stop people making and selling cards on Internet auction sites

19 minutes ago, westie38 said:

Hi Ozzy, I'm using a Mac Book pro also. The Columbus doesn't come with a SD card, as all the software is on its HD. The SD card has the following: HIGH12_P175_EU_2019 and WMPInfo.xml. From there it has: metainfo2.txt and two folders named Mib1 & Mib2. Inside these it has all the EU countries etc.

The card is a Scandisk Ultra 80MB/s. 

Ahhh ok, mines amundsen so runs off sd and the sansdisk you use should be perfect for it!  Odd question but can you update maps off WiFi? 

Yes, I have used WiFi before when my car has been parked on the drive alongside the house. That’s when I managed to just download the 2018/19 map updates. However, this time the Northern Ireland/ North England maps weren’t in the list. I downloaded Belgium & Holland by WiFi ok, but because I couldn’t get the UK I then went down the route of using the Skoda portal and SD card.

I watched the video from Roman this morning, he also had some issues with it, but got there in the end.

I too use a Mac and it took me several attempts before I got it to work. Here's what I did:-

Delete all data on a 32GB or 64GB SD card, format the card to MS-DOS (FAT 32). Call the card UNTITLED.

Unzip the downloaded file (it can take a while) and double-click the unzipped folder.

Select all the contents (two folders and a text file) and drag all three items onto the empty SD card. See the attached image for the three files you need.

Launch the free Mac app “CleanMyDrive2” (or another similar app) to remove Mac-specific invisible files from the SD card.

Insert the card into one of the SD slots of the Karoq's infotainment system.

On the navigation, press "Menu"> "Settings"> "System Information"> "Update software".

This should work.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.20.38pm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And indeed it does work! I reformatted the card, and did the above ( or a least my son did), then it loaded absolutely fine. Contrary to previous comments, and the Skoda Portal itself, you don't have to have the Columbus unit powered up for the duration of the upload. I watched the first 10% go in at about 1mb every 20 seconds or so initially , then switched the engine off, locked up and left it to do its own thing. Then went out after a couple of hours for a taxi run (wife's works Christmas party) and all the EU maps were installed - all now showing 2019. Happy days.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:01, FabFabFabia said:

I too use a Mac and it took me several attempts before I got it to work. Here's what I did:-

Delete all data on a 32GB or 64GB SD card, format the card to MS-DOS (FAT 32). Call the card UNTITLED.

Unzip the downloaded file (it can take a while) and double-click the unzipped folder.

Select all the contents (two folders and a text file) and drag all three items onto the empty SD card. See the attached image for the three files you need.

Launch the free Mac app “CleanMyDrive2” (or another similar app) to remove Mac-specific invisible files from the SD card.

Insert the card into one of the SD slots of the Karoq's infotainment system.

On the navigation, press "Menu"> "Settings"> "System Information"> "Update software".

This should work.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.20.38pm.jpg

I was having difficulty using Mac, followed these steps and worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

• Like 1