ECE 2019/2020 maps are now available on the Skoda Update Portal

5 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

Just downloaded the VW file; P89_N60S3MIBS2_EU_7z as until 2015 'Golf'

I do not want to brick my Skoda card so just double checking 😉

That's the one :thumbup:

BTW I ALWAYS make a complete copy of the SD card into my PC first, then do a quick format of the SD card (much quicker than deleting the files) to FAT32 with 4KB cluster size, then copy the un-zipped (I use 7Zip) contents of the downloaded file (one folder plus one file) onto the SD card. Works every time for me.

Edited by PetrolDave

22 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

That's the one :thumbup:

BTW I ALWAYS make a complete copy of the SD card into my PC first, then do a quick format of the SD card (much quicker than deleting the files) to FAT32 with 4KB cluster size, then copy the un-zipped (I use 7Zip) contents of the downloaded file (one folder plus one file) onto the SD card. Works every time for me.

These things rarely go well for me, something usually goes wrong but this time it went fine 😀 the map shows as V03959807DB0089 ECE 2020 :thumbup:

Bit tight though SD card shows as 183mb free of 7.47GB ! Phew

Thanks for the advice.

33 minutes ago, ajw1100 said:

Bit tight though SD card shows as 183mb free of 7.47GB ! Phew

That's why the SD card needs to be reformatted with either a 4KB or 2KB cluster size - this makes the many small files waste less space on the SD card.

A couple of years ago I found that the maps wouldn't fit onto my 8GB SD card with the default cluster size.

BTW you can use the 32GB Skoda SD card for the MIB2 Amundsen (which has a 5L0 prefix part number) with the MIB1 Amundsen - I have one 5E0 SD card and one 5L0 SD card which I use alternately).

1 minute ago, TheWanderer said:

So just to make things clear.

A 32gb card has a 5L0 serial/part number such as 5L0 251 236BJ. Yes?

5L0 051 236 - the suffix doesn't matter as that just relates to the map data currently on the card, and if you're going to use it on a MIB1 you'll be deleting it anyway!

And the MIB1 SD card is 5E0 051 236

I was thinking that if everything is resolved in the next few days and I keep the car, then it might be worth getting a 32gb card for future map updates.

Like I said I have found them available on that auction site for ~£30. 

Edited by TheWanderer

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I was thinking that if everything is resolved in the next few days and I keep the car, then it might be worth getting a 32gb card for future map updates.

Like I said I have found them available on that auction site for ~£30. 

Surely an MY19 car has a 32GB card to begin with?

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

I just checked it and it works for me using my cars VIN.

Mine working now, still 2020 maps assume the current VW equivalent is now the 20/21 Skoda ones

22 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Nope. 16gb. Like the car crap isn't it.

I wouldn't worry anyway then, the map file for the entirety of Europe is 13GB, you've got a bit of room yet before you need to worry about not being able to fit the maps on a 16GB card.

Have downloaded the latest full A1 Europe package from the Skoda portal. After unzipping there was just the "maps" folder. Copied it onto the SD card (guess the 16GB one, as my car is 2017, but will check tomorrow based on the card code). Inserted the card in the Amundsen and 15 sec later all is ok. Version no. says ECE 2020 (previous said ECE 19/20). Hope it's the same as the maps on the VW site.

27 minutes ago, SwatKat said:

Have downloaded the latest full A1 Europe package from the Skoda portal. After unzipping there was just the "maps" folder. Copied it onto the SD card (guess the 16GB one, as my car is 2017, but will check tomorrow based on the card code). Inserted the card in the Amundsen and 15 sec later all is ok. Version no. says ECE 2020 (previous said ECE 19/20). Hope it's the same as the maps on the VW site.

Current VW maps will display as 2020/21 now I believe (1430 in the filename). (Edit - this just prompted me to go and download them and they are indeed 20/21 on the VW site now)

I had the 2020 maps (1310 filename) in June from VW.

As @bigade1 suggested earlier, the Skoda portal generally seems to offer up maps 5 or 6 months after they're available from VW.

Edited by Kenai
  • Like 1

@Kenai: In the morning I will double check this, but I remember 1310 filename. Of that's true, will try to download the vw files to see if they're working. 

LE: the file here says a lot of countries are "partial"? Anyone know why? (I'm from Romania and wouldn't want a crappier map than the Skoda

Edited by SwatKat

8 minutes ago, SwatKat said:

@Kenai: In the morning I will double check this, but I remember 1310 filename. Of that's true, will try to download the vw files to see if they're working. 

LE: the file here says a lot of countries are "partial"? Anyone know why? (I'm from Romania and wouldn't want a crappier map than the Skoda

The map files are identical between VW and Skoda (when Skoda eventually get round to releasing the same ones anyway).

If the VW version has a country as partial coverage, so does the Skoda version.

Edited by Kenai
  • Thanks 1

I thought you could only use the card that came with the car due to hidden Skoda files? Or is that only for 2015 models and later ones could use any higher GB cards?

21 minutes ago, ajw1100 said:

I thought you could only use the card that came with the car due to hidden Skoda files? Or is that only for 2015 models and later ones could use any higher GB cards?

Amundsen has to use a genuine Skoda card but not specifically the one that came with the car originally. 

Columbus can use anything as it's just a transfer medium. 

• Like 1

Update finished! Downloaded the files from vw, unzipped and copied the resulted maps folder to the sd card. Size seems larger than Skoda’s 1310 version. Hope that Romania’s map is full (says it is partial)...

122820F0-43E8-4910-85C2-46AF25B84681.jpeg

14 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

My pre-owned 2015 Elegance with Amundsen didn't come with an SD card - the dealer had "lost it" so I've just bought the correct Skoda cards off eBay (I wasn't going to pay the crazy dealer price when I can get them off eBay for about 1/10 of that).

So I now use 3 different Skoda SD cards, 2 for a MIB1 Amundsen and 1 for a MIB2 Amundsen (which also works in a MIB1).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a question to prepare a map update on my father's O3 MY2018, Amundsen equipped.

The original SD card is a 16 Gb one.

The new ECE A1 2020 map needs a 32 Gb SD card. Will the Amudsen on MY2018 be able to read a bigger card?

Thanks for your help!

;) 

Edited by Bap33

It says it needs a 32Gb card, but it should just about fit on the 16Gb card.

I'm waiting until the new year before I buy a card for it and I'll be downloading the maps from VW, however I generally prefer to use Google Maps and Android Auto, as it seems to be much more up to date and accurate.