Tips: Fabia Tips

ColinD

If you just want access to the boot, unlock it using the boot unlock on the key fob and when you close the boot afterwards a few seconds later the car will re-lock itself on it's own :)

If you just want access to the boot, unlock it using the boot unlock on the key fob and when you close the boot afterwards a few seconds later the car will re-lock itself on it's own :)

...just make sure you haven't put your keys in the boot, else you'll have locked yourself out!!! :doh:

(Did this the day I got the car - lucky really, as it was the only time I've ever had BOTH keys on me! Shaln't be doing it again...)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redline

tell me about it, i do it all the time. All you hear when you get out is that creaky sound and everytime I say to myself I MUST STOP DOING THAT BUT NEVER DO

• 2 weeks later...
Those of you who can't be botherd to read the manual try holding the key in the door lock in the unlock position' date=' if you have factory fitted elecy windows, its a great way to cool the car down without having to get inside! ;) new octy's & surperbs are remote! Great for showing off!

Matt[/quote']

wow never knew that. is it possible to set this up so it works off the key fob?

Fabia Sun Visors

My 2006 VRS (without sunroof) has excellent visors. They have centre overhangs and the outer edges overlap the 'A' pillars. A significant improvement over many other makes. This set will actually work effectively!!

• 2 weeks later...

For hard to shut rear hatches, or those that pop open while driving (particularly while cornering), use a torx socket to loosen the two bolts that hold the latch bar to the chassis. Slide the bar (shaped like a U) towards the rear of the car. Re-tighten. I had to move mine out about two or three millimeters, now it's a perfect shut every time, and hasn't popped open in the corners since the fix.

The sockets are cheap, and certainly better than griping to the dealer about a niggling problem which seems to be forgotten during the service checks.

Cheers,

John

The headlights are polycarbonate, not glass, so NEVER use anything abrasive (not even a washing-up sponge) to get the bugs off them - just a cloth soaked with warm water. They will scratch, and it takes hours of polishing with Brasso to get the marks out!

Also, polycarbonate is suseptable to any glass cleaner or windscreen washer fluid that contains IPA (Iso propyl Alcohol). Basically it will cause the lamp lens to crack and fracture with a myriad of fine cracks. The solvent opens up cracks along the moulded-in stress lines that are inherant in all injection mouldings. I work for a vehicle lamp manufacturer

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Also, polycarbonate is suseptable to any glass cleaner or windscreen washer fluid that contains IPA (Iso propyl Alcohol). Basically it will cause the lamp lens to crack and fracture with a myriad of fine cracks. The solvent opens up cracks along the moulded-in stress lines that are inherant in all injection mouldings. I work for a vehicle lamp manufacturer

The vRS xenons have washers which spray the washer fluid directly on the lens!

Can anyone shed more light on this?

On my car (PD100 - not sure how widely this applies) the nearside headlight/sidelight bulbs sit close to the battery, and not much finger space to change bulbs.

But there's a plastic cover on the side of the battery which you can slide out. It's only thin but if you take this cover out before changing bulbs, those extra few mm make changing a bulb so much easier.

Good little tip:

Next time you go to KFC ask for some of their lemon hand wipes. There is a pocket on the right hand side of the glove box that will hold these brilliantly and they come in very handily after putting air in your tyres to remove the dirt off your fingers so you dont have to worry about the garage not having any towels on hand.

• 2 months later...
They cant go there. Thats where i keep my pens.

theres two pen holders!! one in the can holder on the drivers side (or is that for a straw?:rolleyes: ) and the glove box door! i use the tray for my sunglasses thats under the stereo, ashtray used for gum and coins.

good tip the ashtray is great to put a portion or maccy d's fries they sit snug in there too:)

theres an umbrella holder in the parcle shelf for the Combi behind the rear headrests.

• 2 months later...
If your rear windscreen washer ceases to work it is probably because the pipe has come adrift on the engine bulkhead . It is a loose friction fit and can pop off. I cured mine permenently with a short length of pipe and two small jubilee clips

This also occurs just behind the bit of trim that runs up between the backrest of the nearside rear seat and the door opening. I gather it's a push-fit to provide pressure relief if the nozzle freezes and you try and operate the pump - so fixing it 'too' permanently may not be a good thing... :(

• 2 weeks later...

If your back wiper is constantly streaking, remove the rubber insert and re-insert it the other way around - The blade is angulated and is often put in the wrong way around at the factory. The little locking tabs on the 2 steel inserts should be towards the end of the wiper, not nearer the hinged end.

This tip courtesy of member dunder101.

• 1 month later...
Don't forget to switch the heated mirrors OFF when you've used them. The switch needs to be in the 'UP' or 'DOWN' position once the mirrors are clear, as the central position is heating the mirrors constantly. :thumbup:

I thought they only came on for a certain amount of time, mine are always cold after a journey to work, they are hot for a few minutes after starting as you can see steam coming off them on a cold day.

If you lock your key in the car, get who ever has the other key to hold it next to the phone, you put your phone close to the door and when the unlock is pressed by the helpful friend/partner it may open the central locking.

I say may as it can be hit or miss, but if it works it saves on the locksmith charges or a long walk home.

If you lock your key in the car, get who ever has the other key to hold it next to the phone, you put your phone close to the door and when the unlock is pressed by the helpful friend/partner it may open the central locking.

I say may as it can be hit or miss, but if it works it saves on the locksmith charges or a long walk home.

Are you mad?

• 1 month later...