What is this "hole" for?

Finally got my MY2019 RS245 just a few days before Christmas (looooooooooooong story, which includes the ship with my original order being turned around by the Port of Auckland because the ship was infested with stink-bugs).

Anywho; just wondering if anyone knows what this hole is for (or is it simply a "leftover" from being a RHD model). Only noticed because it fell in this afternoon when I got home.

IMG_0583.jpg

15 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

My MY19 doesn't have auto levelling lights and I control mine via the infotainment menu's?

Control them in what sense? Afaik you can't adjust the tilt up/down with the infotainment, that's what the manual adjuster is for.

Edited by ahenners

Auto pointing straight up makes more sense to me. It suggests it is the default mode the car should be used.

Skoda's auto is slightly off-centre, it really bothers me everytime I look at it.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ahenners said:

Control them in what sense? Afaik you can't adjust the tilt up/down with the infotainment, that's what the manual adjuster is for.

I have halogen FL lights and in my Infotainment menu, I have Headlight Range Control as an option:

image.thumb.png.6d7ca5f9c53a86bf447b28316bd2e7e3.png

Although it mentions 0, 2, 4, 6 as values, I just have the green bar with -/+ to adjust it. When doing so, you can see my lights drop/raise accordingly.

Edit: I can also adjust the brightness of the instrument displays via the Infotainment too.

Edited by gRoberts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

I have halogen FL lights and in my Infotainment menu, I have Headlight Range Control as an option:

image.thumb.png.6d7ca5f9c53a86bf447b28316bd2e7e3.png

Although it mentions 0, 2, 4, 6 as values, I just have the green bar with -/+ to adjust it. When doing so, you can see my lights drop/raise accordingly.

Edit: I can also adjust the brightness of the instrument displays via the Infotainment too.

That's fairly cool - didn't know that was possible on the newer cars. Every day is a school day :)

• Like 1

Just now, ahenners said:

That's fairly cool - didn't know that was possible on the newer cars. Every day is a school day :)

I actually completely missed that there wasn't the adjuster (I don't think I have the pictured hole either) as I came from a pre-fl with bi-xenon/auto levelling lights.

Randomly came across it in the menu when fishing about in the new car :D

It is cheaper for Skoda to allow their adjustment via the infotainment system, than it is to have a separate / physical switch.

They've done it with the interior alarm sensor button on the B-pillar too...

12810.jpg.5cad40c21ef602760d7104b3f336f521.jpg

I'm guessing they've left the plugged hole in the dash is for those models / markets that don't have the more advanced infotainment systems and therefore still require the physical control.

• 2 weeks later...

It means you can't safely adjust the dipped beam height while you're driving, and it's difficult to work out the correct height while stopped. On straight level roads I check that my lights are just illuminating the bumper of the car in front and adjust accordingly.

How many people are going to remember to adjust the beam height after loading up the boot and before starting a journey? This is just going to lead to more badly adjusted headlights. :-(

Edited by Rodge

14 minutes ago, Rodge said:

It means you can't safely adjust the dipped beam height while you're driving, and it's difficult to work out the correct height while stopped. On straight level roads I check that my lights are just illuminating the bumper of the car in front and adjust accordingly.

How many people are going to remember to adjust the beam height after loading up the boot and before starting a journey? This is just going to lead to more badly adjusted headlights. :-(

It's one of the few things I miss from my old Roomster - when driving around town I used to have the lights fully dipped, but it was good to be able to easily raise them for driving on fast unlit country roads. I now have them set somewhere above the middle setting, so probably dazzle oncoming drivers a bit, but particularly since we have moved to the country being able to see further in front is more important to me

On 17/01/2019 at 01:40, Mr Statto said:

I now have them set somewhere above the middle setting, so probably dazzle oncoming drivers a bit, but particularly since we have moved to the country being able to see further in front is more important to me

I have always found these user-adjustable headlights to be dangerous. How does the average Joe know whether their lights are dazzling oncoming drivers?
Self-levelling headlights are a godsend.... but a driver being able to just randomly select their own level arbitrarily (and then forget about it when they unload the boot), is just dangerous.
Surely this is a violation of the compliance laws/driving codes in whichever market the cars are delivered?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, spinifex said:

I have always found these user-adjustable headlights to be dangerous. How does the average Joe know whether their lights are dazzling oncoming drivers?
Self-levelling headlights are a godsend.... but a driver being able to just randomly select their own level arbitrarily (and then forget about it when they unload the boot), is just dangerous.
Surely this is a violation of the compliance laws/driving codes in whichever market the cars are delivered?

Self levelling  headlights are not all they're cracked up to be. I often find the n/s one dazzling in my n/s door mirror

16 hours ago, spinifex said:

Goodness gracious me.

Easily adjustable headlight angles are a very useful development .Fixed angle headlights were the norm until the 1990s .

Where's Billy Goat Gruff when you need him?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ords said:

Self levelling  headlights are not all they're cracked up to be. I often find the n/s one dazzling in my n/s door mirror

That's caused by the beam pattern, which has a higher section on the nearside to better illuminate the kerb - so even with properly legally adjusted headlamps it will happen.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, spinifex said:

Look at the back of the car in front.

The adjustment is to lower the lights when the boot has been heavily loaded, not raise them. You can't raise them any higher than the legal maximum. Without the adjustment heavily loaded cars would be driving round with their dipped beams high in the air.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rodge said:

Look at the back of the car in front.

The adjustment is to lower the lights when the boot has been heavily loaded, not raise them. You can't raise them any higher than the legal maximum. Without the adjustment heavily loaded cars would be driving round with their dipped beams high in the air.

Fair point... I hadn't thought fully about it, and forgot that you're lowering them, not raising them.

• Like 2