18” All Season Tyres??

jonro2009

Dad’s new 1.5tsi 2x4 is coming with 215/50R18

no tyre manufacturer offer an all season tyre in this size. My dad is really keen to put all season tyres on, he won’t be persuaded otherwise so what are his options? 

1. Using the current 18” rim could he put on a different size tyre safely i.e. 235/45R18 without voiding warranty or insurance?

2. Drop down to a 17” Rim and try to keep the rolling circumference and diameter as similar as possible? Again without voiding warranty, insurance and compromising safety.

any pointers on a suitable size swap would be great.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

@WillWord

@Arkaig - not strictly true.

Whilst 225/50 R18 would fit, they are not an approved option for the 1.5TSi (DADA engine).  

They are an approved option for the 2.0 TDi (DFFA engine).

Unless I’ve read the charts incorrectly!  

Edited by Colin267
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arkaig said:

Goodyear or Bridgestone All Seasons are available in 225/50x18 which would fit and comply.

Do you have a link to Goodyear Vector All-Seasons in 225/50 R18? I have been looking quite sometime but have not found any yet. These would be my preference.

Wow, well done! Hadn't seen them. I assume the run-flats can be mounted on a standard rim? Bally expensive though.

These might fit the bill? Slightly taller than standard but only 2% more circumference... https://www.camskill.co.uk/m146b0s8054p152724/Michelin_Tyres_All_Season_SUV_4x4_Michelin_CrossClimate_SUV_Cross_Climate_SUV_-_225_55_R18_98V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_69dB

Edited by Luckypants

Don't know about runflats, they may require a special rim.

Look at the tyre calculator I posted. 235 45 18 is the tyre to choose to minimize rolling circumference, there is a legal limit to how different this can be from original spec. (Google it, I can't remember}

You will need to get insurance company approval before you swap, many insurance companies will not allow a different and/or non type approved tyre size.

Edited by xman
Wrong tyre size quoted!
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Luckypants said:

Wow, well done! Hadn't seen them. I assume the run-flats can be mounted on a standard rim? Bally expensive though.

These might fit the bill? Slightly taller than standard but only 2% more circumference... https://www.camskill.co.uk/m146b0s8054p152724/Michelin_Tyres_All_Season_SUV_4x4_Michelin_CrossClimate_SUV_Cross_Climate_SUV_-_225_55_R18_98V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_69dB

A speedo must never under read (which would happen with a larger diameter) so you must not use a wheel/tyre combo that causes this.  The speedo can over read subject to certain limits. 

Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

A speedo must never under read (which would happen with a larger diameter) so you must not use a wheel/tyre combo that causes this.  The speedo can over read subject to certain limits. 

Tom

Absolutely 0% under and max of 10% over. The factory setting could be anywhere within this band.

I forgot also to add that you need to check the rim size (width) is suitable for tyres if you choose a different width. 235 45 18 I think will require 8J x 18 your standard rim  is 7J x 18 so is not suitable for these tyres.

I think you're stuck with the tyres it comes with unless you want to change rims.

On 10/01/2019 at 09:32, Sanqhar said:

Tom

Isn't there a winter tyre speedo adjustment available on the Karoq? Even my last Mk2 Octavia had that.

Just been checking out 225/50 R18 All Season tyres as I was considering a 1.5TSi SEL 4x4.  Amazed Cross Climate+ are not available. 

1 hour ago, juan27 said:

Isn't there a winter tyre speedo adjustment available on the Karoq? Even my last Mk2 Octavia had that.

On my Yeti it was just a maximum speed warning (for certain winter tyres) it didn’t adjust the speedo.  

Unless you had to input the wheel and tyre size the car would not know how much adjustment to make. 

Tom

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

On my Yeti it was just a maximum speed warning (for certain winter tyres) it didn’t adjust the speedo.  

Unless you had to input the wheel and tyre size the car would not know how much adjustment to make. 

Tom

I'm sure I've seen a %age change facility. Maybe its on my current Mk3. 

• 3 months later...
On 17/01/2019 at 12:11, juan27 said:

Just been checking out 225/50 R18 All Season tyres as I was considering a 1.5TSi SEL 4x4.  Amazed Cross Climate+ are not available. 

Any luck sourcing 225/50R18 all season tyres?

17 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

Any luck sourcing 225/50R18 all season tyres?

The only all season tyres I've seen are:

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Nankang/Cross-Seasons-AW-6-SUV/225-50-R18-99V-XL/R-371080

But I haven't bought them so it's not a recommendation. I think Pirelli do some too but they appear to be run flats only

Edited by juan27
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

OK this is still causing me a headache and I will need to replace the tyres fairly soon. No one is doing 225/50R18 All-season tyres in a current design is seems.  Therefore I'm looking at a change in size to get something in my preferred make / tread pattern. So I'm after people's experiences and opinions on changing to a slightly narrower tyre with slightly different aspect ratio.

I'm thinking of fitting 215/55R18 instead of 225/50R18. Slightly narrower but 215 is spec'd for other Karoq models as OEM, notably the 4x2 2.0Tdi. (mine is 4x4 2.0Tdi). The overall diameter of the tyre is 1.6% smaller, leading to a -1mph difference in speedo reading at 60mph, which I do not think is significant. The wheel width of 7" is suitable for a 215 tyre and is the same wheel used where 215 is the OEM tyre size.

Can anyone see a problem with changing to this tyre fitment?

Edited by Luckypants
Bit more info.

3 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

OK this is still causing me a headache and I will need to replace the tyres fairly soon. No one is doing 225/50R18 All-season tyres in a current design is seems.  Therefore I'm looking at a change in size to get something in my preferred make / tread pattern. So I'm after people's experiences and opinions on changing to a slightly narrower tyre with slightly different aspect ratio.

I'm thinking of fitting 215/55R18 instead of 225/50R18. Slightly narrower but 215 is spec'd for other Karoq models as OEM, notably the 4x2 2.0Tdi. (mine is 4x4 2.0Tdi). The overall diameter of the tyre is 1.6% smaller, leading to a -1mph difference in speedo reading at 60mph, which I do not think is significant.

Can anyone see a problem with changing to this tyre fitment?

We have factory Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on 18" alloys in 215mm width on our front wheel drive 1.5TSi manual Karoq and after 16,200 miles they are still in great condition and even worked in 2" of snow when others were struggling for grip. Also great grip in the corners, low noise levels and brilliant under braking. Will replace when worn out with the same tyres, one of the best set of factory tyres I have had on any new car in 36 years driving.:thumbup:

• Thanks 1

But I do not see a problem changing to one width smaller as you suggest... but it  is not listed on the approved list for your car from manufacturer.... so i suggest you check with your insurance..

I bought the 215/55 R17 for my 2.0 TDI 4x4  for the winter wheel/tyre

image.thumb.png.dbc87817d7ebc5dc0f6d5a41dea97e86.png

image2019-04-09-160220.pdf

27 minutes ago, SimonAudi said:

Not a great choice - but there is 2 run flat - and 1 normal All Season.. - This is My Tyres

image.thumb.png.c07ba7c1b33e369088bedd362f8751ff.pngN

Just 1 Run Flat All Season with Oponeo..

image.thumb.png.01ea3a19be6adbce3d53decaca467c93.png

Hi Simon,

I do not need run-flats and would rather avoid the stiff sidewall these come with.... our lane is rough enough without hard tyres sending every jolt into the cabin.

The Nankangs may as well be called "ditchfinders", never will I put cheapo tyres on.

The Goodyear is also a run flat, but also is a BMW specific fit only.

thanks for your help, I've been searching for sometime and not come up with anything else either :-(

Can you post a link to the official tyre sizes from Skoda? Is that where you got the information?

Edited by Luckypants