Brake disc recommendations?

Picked up a 2015 1.4 see yesterday and the brakes disks could with replacing all-round. Rears a bit scored, fronts corroded and glazed. Pretty poor for 20,000km.Usually I'd go OEM but between the rust and early wear the competition could not be any worse.

Juratec are very reasonable, or could pay more for Pagid or ATE. Any suggestions?

Also can anyone confirm diameters on both front and back (1.4tsi) assome sites list different diameters for the fronts.

Thanks.

Never heard of Juratec (Juratek? - company based in Doncaster???)

I have used Jurid brake pads/discs (GSF). Most major name brands are good, not much to choose between them ans they all must comply with ECE R90 so performance will be similar to OEM.

You could consider ceramic pads e.g. ATE which are supposed to last longer, wear discs less and have low dust.  About twice the price of standard pads from ECP.

http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/disc-brakes/ate-ceramic-brake-pads/

Edited by xman

What kind of price difference are you talking about here between a company you've not heard of or cant find info on, and one you have/can?

Larger disks on the front is common. my 280 I believe its 340mmx30mm on the front and 310mmx22mm on the rear, though some sites list 312mmx25mm as an option too. Long way from having to do mine yet.

I very much wonder about ATE. I heard about them but I really want to know if anyone has real life experience with them. I really hate brake dust so I was hoping these pads/discs would fix/improve that. I also heard you can't replace only pads because discs are also a little different material to fit ceramic pads.

I very much wonder about ATE. I heard about them but I really want to know if anyone has real life experience with them. I really hate brake dust so I was hoping these pads/discs would fix/improve that. I also heard you can't replace only pads because discs are also a little different material to fit ceramic pads.

ATE supply OE brake parts fitted on many VAG cars and indeed yours.

They are part of Continental Group and one of the largest OE suppliers of brake parts to manufacturers. Sometimes known as Teeves.....

They have quite a pedigree

http://www.ate-brakes.com/the-company/ate-history/

You use their ceramic pads with conventional disks, only recommended that they are new. The "ceramic" pads supposedly deposit a thin carbide layer on the disc during operation which extends disc life.

Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 13 March 2012. ATE Ceramic brake pads provide clean, quiet, low-wear braking. Since the brake pads produce virtually no brake dust, they protect the gloss of the wheels and save owners the considerable effort required to clean high-quality alloy wheels. This not only improves the looks of the wheels, but also helps retain their value. In addition, the innovative pad compound significantly improves braking comfort. Through the use of ATE Ceramic pads, after a brief run-in phase a transfer film consisting of very hard, wear-resistant carbides forms on the brake disc. This film markedly reduces wear and tear on the brake pads and brake discs.
Of course, no sacrifices are made in the area of safety, because it goes without saying that ATE Ceramic brake pads, like all other ATE replacement brake parts, comply with the ECE-R 90 regulation and meet driver expectations. Dynamic handling control systems remain fully operational. ATE Ceramic brake pads easily can be fitted during brake servicing in place of the standard brake pads; no conversion or modification is necessary.The product portfolio of ATE Ceramic will be continuously expanded in future beyond the present new additions. Currently the portfolio covers more than 35 percent of the vehicles registered in Germany alone.

Edited by xman

Hi,

I've also heard about ATE ceramic on this French Skoda forum (see link below).

http://forum-skoda-superb.discuforum.info/t5738-Remplacement-plaquette-avec-ATE-Ceramic-et-diques-ATE-Power.htm

(Sorry for non french speakers/readers, at least, you can see what ATE Ceramics discs and pads look like).

This was made on a Superb MK2. The owner is greatly satisfied with these ATE products. His feedbacks after ~1000 km : "Braking has a better grip and there's no black dust on his wheels anymore" He was really bluffed :o. Thus he has decided to retrofit his wife's car too ;).

Well at least I haven't had such great experience with ATE ceramics, and as stated I put those on new ATE discs (It was Opel Insignia).

1. Almost no dust - there are dust but they are in white/sand color;

2. They do not bite like the simple pad does - try it on, you will immediately know what I am talking about - pronounced longer slide;

3. They score the disc eventually (I tried fronts and backs) and it does not look ok after a while. It goes OEM to Superb MK3 rears - one of the main reasons for scoring.

I will not look to these any time soon.

You keep claiming Superb iii OE rear pads are ATE ceramic pads and in your opinion are the reason behind the scoring seen on the rear discs.

I doubt this as ATE ceramic pads are twice or more the price of a standard pad. I doubt Skoda would pay that and if they did they would surely be singing their simply clever mantra about dust free brakes and super clean wheels.

The dust on my rear wheels appears black, not the white/sand colour you say elsewhere, just nowhere near as much as at the front as is to be expected.

What is the evidence that they are ATE ceramic pads?

I cannot say all the S3 have those pads - two S3 that I maintain - 1.4 ACT DSG, 2017 similarly speced havr - I have no info about others and would not try to get that :) 

How I can tell these are ceramics:

1. I have unwanted experience from those with Insignia - after going with those, disc just doesn't look right (slight scoring, discoloration). 

2. From the first experience - the working surface of the pad has brownish flakes (copper like), and when you sand them down on flat surface 80/120 gritt sand paper, you get sandish material and not black stuff from regular ones.

3. Both S3 after changing pads, discs visually look ok again, however more dust.

OE pads have some ATE markings - didn't took the photo/didn't know that I will need those to prove something to strangers :)

One thing that is different compared to Insignia, rear brakes seems to be running hotter in S3, and probably is using more material - might be the answer for them to be in S3 in the first place.

This is only my experience/opinion, it works for me really well, I am happy with it :) 

Don't be afraid and try it, won't bite I guess.

I had ATE ceramic pads fitted at 15km service on my 280. After a few days bedding in on the original discs, they stop as good as the originals. They are virtually dust free. I can go 2+ weeks without washing the car and the wheels look like I washed them the day before. They still have the shine on the Anthricite whelels. The rear pads in my 280 are ATE and my euro mechanic tells me that they are ceramic as well (no corrosion or uneven wear on the discs)

I can’t fault them in any way and I will be buying a set for the front of my Golf Gti Clubsport on it’s next service.

• Thanks 1

If there is still plenty of thickness left on the Disks get them skimmed. 

You can have them done on the car which makes them run true also.

Scoring can be from foreign bodies being trapped in the leading edge of the pads?

https://skimmydiscs.co.uk/

^^^ Good with good discs from a good manufacturer manufacturing quality products.

& with VW Group / Skoda OEM discs which are rather crap you are just as well bin them in an Environmentally way, ie the scrap pile / skip.

& Get a set of any old replacement discs as they will be as good but almost certainly better than VW Group ones which are the cheapest they can source globally.

Or maybe get ones a bit better, as like Oil being the life blood of your engines.

Brakes, Steering and Tyres and suspension hold your life, your nearest and dearests and the general publics in the hands of a global corporation that gives not a jot.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1