280 Tyres

Well I guess we all drive differently and there are other factors (like I live in a rural area etc) to consider but suffice to say this 280 is the fastest, heaviest car I’ve ever had and those mileages are the best I’ve ever had in nearly 30 years of driving so I’m happy! Just wish the tyres weren’t over £200 a corner now…. 🥲

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Well I guess we all drive differently and there are other factors (like I live in a rural area etc) to consider but suffice to say this 280 is the fastest, heaviest car I’ve ever had and those mileages are the best I’ve ever had in nearly 30 years of driving so I’m happy! Just wish the tyres weren’t over £200 a corner now…. 🥲

Fastest and heaviest,  there lies a problem, do you go sporty or heavy duty

bit of lateral thinking for UK, how about Vredestein Quattrac Pro EV (where the heavier EV spec deals with torque and weight better)

Plenty of new options in 235/40 R19 :

Continental Sport Contact 7

Goodyear Eagle asymmetric 6

Michelin Pilot sport 5

Pirelli Powergy 

Falken Azenis FK520

or if you prefer all year tyres to summer tyres

Pirelli All season SF2

Michelin cross climate 2

Continental all season contact

Goodyear vector 4seasons Gen3

I got the PS5 to replace OEM Pirellis that were cracking on the sidewalls. 

So far so good. My mileage is so low annually it will last me the time I will own this car. 

But look at tyre reviews website, it's one of the better ones for wear but assymetric 6 beats it. 

• Like 2

I may be unusual but we have the Falken Azenis FK510 on the Kodiaq and I've been pretty impressed.  Very stable quiet and good in the wet.  Maybe no tup with some of the top stuff but very good in my opinion. 

I am just replacing a set of Falken Azenis FK510, I thought they were ok(I kept them on as they were brand new when I picked the car up) but nothing outstanding compared to the likes of Goodyear Asymmetrics 5/6's or PS4/5. 

I am having a set of Continental Sport Contact 7 fitted tomorrow morning. Currently running 235/40 R19, new tyres are 245/40 R19, hoping all will be ok with the slightly bigger tyre on the Vega rims. I did have a read up and there seem to be a fair few people running the 245 on the Superb with no issues.

8 minutes ago, Bobodaclown said:

I am just replacing a set of Falken Azenis FK510, I thought they were ok(I kept them on as they were brand new when I picked the car up) but nothing outstanding compared to the likes of Goodyear Asymmetrics 5/6's or PS4/5. 

I am having a set of Continental Sport Contact 7 fitted tomorrow morning. Currently running 235/40 R19, new tyres are 245/40 R19, hoping all will be ok with the slightly bigger tyre on the Vega rims. I did have a read up and there seem to be a fair few people running the 245 on the Superb with no issues.

Interesting - I had the Goodyear's on my Honda Civic and didn't rate them at all - crap in the wet and noisy - they were replaced by Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's which were a far better tyre (shame they're not made any more)

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Interesting - I had the Goodyear's on my Honda Civic and didn't rate them at all - crap in the wet and noisy - they were replaced by Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's which were a far better tyre (shame they're not made any more)

Oh wow, was that the 5 or 6 you had fitted to the Civic?

1 hour ago, CJXA said:

So how's the 245/40? 

Do you notice any difference in ride comfort?

Hey,

Sure did, size fits absolutely fine no rubbing they are fitted on a 280 estate.

There is a difference in comfort, feels a lot smoother.

First impressions on the Sport Contact 7's they are impressive, only driven in the dry so far. Could just be the new tyres feeling, but they have a huge amount of grip, steering feels very sharp and controlled, braking is hugely impressive. They roll nicely, cabin noise quieter than previous. A huge difference vs the previous Falkens.

Early days but seems very good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobodaclown said:

Hey,

Sure did, size fits absolutely fine no rubbing they are fitted on a 280 estate.

There is a difference in comfort, feels a lot smoother.

First impressions on the Sport Contact 7's they are impressive, only driven in the dry so far. Could just be the new tyres feeling, but they have a huge amount of grip, steering feels very sharp and controlled, braking is hugely impressive. They roll nicely, cabin noise quieter than previous. A huge difference vs the previous Falkens.

Early days but seems very good.

With 245/40R19 you can use the same tyre pressures as 215/55R17 or 235/45R18.

This is because 215/55R17, 235/45R18, and 245/40R19 all have exactly the same load index, ie. Standard Load index is 94 (670kg) and eXtra Load index is 98 (750kg).

The tyre pressures for the standard tyre sizes should be shown inside the fuel filler flap.

Example of tyre pressure label inside fuel filler flap

Skoda Superb Tyre Pressure: Recommended PSI, KPA & Bar | CarsGuide

Edited by Carlston
  • Love it! 1

I’ve had CrossClimates on for about 5 months now. So far so good, a bit noisier on some road surfaces. Can’t say I’ve noticed any worse grip on dry roads, but in the snow there is a massive difference. I do live in Aberdeen and drive over the hills a fair bit, so maybe more than average encounters with snow. Can’t really say anything about wear rate yet.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 27/03/2023 at 08:12, skomaz said:

I may be unusual but we have the Falken Azenis FK510 on the Kodiaq and I've been pretty impressed.  Very stable quiet and good in the wet.  Maybe no tup with some of the top stuff but very good in my opinion. 

Just curious - are you still happy with the Falkens several months later? Contemplating them for my new (to me) Kodiaq. Was also considering all seasons, but in reality it's rarely going to see a dirt road, never see snow, very very rarely even frost. Just wet or dry roads from 40deg C summers and 2 - 3deg C winters and everything in between.

19 minutes ago, beej said:

Just curious - are you still happy with the Falkens several months later? Contemplating them for my new (to me) Kodiaq. Was also considering all seasons, but in reality it's rarely going to see a dirt road, never see snow, very very rarely even frost. Just wet or dry roads from 40deg C summers and 2 - 3deg C winters and everything in between.

In a word yes.  They remain very quiet stable and grippy and after just over 10k miles don't seem to be showing too much wear.  For reference I've also got Falken Zeix 310 Ecorun on the Swift and they have also proven good, and to me, are a much better tyre that the Bridgestone Ecopia that were fitted from new. 

I used to be a Vredestein or Michelin Cross Climate person but am very happy with the Falkens and would have them again, albeit with research first and the fact that I may go all season on the Kodiaq next time due to where we live. 

• Like 1

Fitted pilot sport 5’s to mine recently which seem to be quieter and slightly smoother than the s001’s that came off it. 
Time will tell how they last and drive. 
I did change them to 245/40/19 so that may have also been a factor, but it definitely gave me a much larger selection of available tyres to choose from than the 235 OEM fitment. 

I had to replace my tyres (235/45/18) a few weeks ago and went for Continental Sport Contact 6.  Performance in both wet and dry impressive, but they are definately a noisy tyre. It's something I can live with that are out-weighed by the other redeeming factors.

53 minutes ago, BillyParker said:

Got an MOT advisory for rear tyres last month. Still had over 3mm but sidewalls cracked, and on the car since new in 2018, 30250 miles, fitted Hankook Ventus Prime 2, same as originals.

Bit difficult if only changing 2 tyres, but one of the good reasons to change to all seasons is they tend not to suffer cracking in same way as summer tyres.

But going forward look at swapping tyres around about every 9-13k miles to even out wear, so can change all 4 together.  Another bonus is don't feel obliged to try and match what could be superseded tyre.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Bit difficult if only changing 2 tyres, but one of the good reasons to change to all seasons is they tend not to suffer cracking in same way as summer tyres.

But going forward look at swapping tyres around about every 9-13k miles to even out wear, so can change all 4 together.  Another bonus is don't feel obliged to try and match what could be superseded tyre.

I had considered changing all four but the fronts had been replaced before I got the car with Pirelli P7, and they still had over 6mm on them. The Hankooks were OEM fitted and had done over 30k, so I thought that was reasonable. I'm in Somerset so not likely to be out in snow, and I'm doing less than 5k a year. I will probably stop driving in 3 years when I hit 82, if not before then.