What really annoys me on the Yeti

Zednine

Not a lot really annoys me with the snow monster, other than the muddy sills, and the bloody radio (already been covered!). 

It does creak a bit when off road in the Beacons but nothing unbearable. 

5 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Try using S mode. It sits assuming you want to accelerate hard and if you turn off stop start it is ready with engine running to pull away quickly without starting engine first.

5 hours ago, vRS G60 said:

It also limits it to 6 gears not 7. I use it if I'm on narrow lanes with up & downhills. It keeps the engine on the boil better.

Agreed.  My only reservation is that, on messy local lanes like ours, 'S' promotes wheelspin a bit too readily at minor junctions :blush

12 hours ago, Brijo said:

My only reservation is that, on messy local lanes like ours, 'S' promotes wheelspin a bit too readily at minor junctions :blush

Wheelspin  -  I knew there was something else beside being hesitant pulling away that annoys me. It hesitates but then can't 'put the power down'. Now if there was room in the engine compartment to put a couple of kerb stones....  :biggrin:

49 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Not a problem with my 4x4.

When front wheels start to slip and before you even notice it, rears immediately start to push and you feel a kick in the back as the car shoots forward!

3 minutes ago, longedge said:

Indeed, and the diesel lump helps as well :)

Agreed, of course.  But the 140 4x4 DSG Yeti is a different animal (often sadly missed, but way over spec for our current needs).  Just saying, that the driver has to remember the potential for this wheelspin; not necessarily 'annoying', just a natural result of these circumstances.  

2 minutes ago, Brijo said:

the 140 4x4 DSG Yeti is a different animal

Certainly, I had one before my current Yeti and perhaps I still have a tendency to make comparisons to that. I took the decision to swap to petrol based on the way I use my car nowadays and of the two I preferred the previous Black Edition 4x4 but needs must.

My own 2017 SEL150 dsg is a fantastically capable car, after two previous company lease Yeti's; a 2010 2wd  Elegance 110ps and a 2014 elegance Greenline.

Only negative is the 15mpg hit on fuel consumption after the Greenline. However probably still better consumption than a petrol one and loads more power.

However both previous cars were hopeless in the snow, current 4x4 on summer tyres got through serious snow in Beast from the East. Now running on winters so even more prepared.

The rush to petrol away from Euro 6 diesel cars makes no sense to me unless you only do a very small mileage. Every chance when it is 3 or 4 years old to have a higher residual as second hand buyers will buy on running costs and favour a diesel. Its only buyers of new cars who can decide on spec. Second hand buyers look at what is available and usually go on running costs as car is already on the road and someone is going to use it.

Edited by kenfowler3966
Spelling!!

41 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

[snip]The rush to petrol away from Euro 6 diesel cars makes no sense to me unless you only do a very small mileage.

Quite so - my current YETI was 2 years old at the beginning of this month and has only done 5,500 miles.

p.s. - and would be quite a bit less if I hadn't loaned it to the family to take on holiday last summer.

Edited by longedge

I'd have to say that overall my time with my Yeti has been pretty good, so different from any other car that I've ever had. Negative points would tend to relate more to the 1.4 petrol engine in my car which often seems to hesitate a bit when pulling away, which is when you would think that you might have better acceleration than a diesel version. Also long term fuel consumption didn't even average 35mpg, which isn't that impressive. It drives well enough when it is moving at reasonable speed but the torque of a diesel engine is missed as the car never really feels all that powerful even compared to my last car an Octavia Estate with a 1.6 TD engine which on paper has a lot less power than the Yeti but was a surprisingly powerful engine once you hit 40mph or above it had lots of power, below that it was quite flat. Sadly my Yeti is off to pastures now in a months time as my PCH deal ends and for now at least I'm going back to another Octavia Estate for the next two years but I will miss the Yeti for its character.

In answer to the original question - Nothing annoys me about the Yeti. Its the best car I have ever had and I have had  a few over the years. Just wish they were still being made :-(

OK, I don't normally contribute to moaning threads, but mine is more a VAG moan rather than specifically a Yeti one, although the Yeti also suffers .....

What twonk in their right mind thought it was a good idea to place the heated door mirror control at the 10 o'clock position on the door mounted switch.

1/ you cant easily see the position indicator from the RHS driving position

2/ if you turn the switch clockwise to get to the "heated position" it folds the mirrors, as it has to pass the fold mirrors position

Why not make the "heated function" a separate switch or combine with the heated rear window function, or better still make the rotary door switch a "push" to switch the heat function on/off, that way you don't need to disturb the left, right, fold, dip park setting on the switch .... did the "designer/engineer" that came up with the multi-function switch ever drive a right had drive car? ... I sure its just as annoying in a left hand drive installation as well.

Otherwise, I honestly think the Yeti is one of the top two cars I have ever owned/driven in 42 years.

There feel better now! :blush

• Like 4

The stylish grill that does not prevent stones holing your air-con unit.

The lack of spare fuse ways for dash cams, sat.navs. etc.

Windscreen washers, the spray always washes the wiper arms

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:11, lawnmowerman said:

Heater controls dreadful.

Small door mirrors.

How dirty the rear screen gets.

How easily the diesel stalls.

The afterthought ad-blue filler location.

I agree with all these points.

For me the accelerator being anchored to the floor instead of "floating" like the other pedals is the most irritating thing.  Aside from not being able to just throw in bog standard car mats, the space to the right of the pedal isn't wide enough to rest your foot when the Cruise control is on without depressing the accelerator.  You also can't slip your foot under it since it's bolted to the floor, and slipping your foot under the brake pedal is hardly safe in case you need to throw the anchor out suddenly only to find a paw wedging it from going  fully down.:sadsmile:.

1 hour ago, widdershins said:

For me the accelerator being anchored to the floor instead of "floating" like the other pedals is the most irritating thing.  Aside from not being able to just throw in bog standard car mats, the space to the right of the pedal isn't wide enough to rest your foot when the Cruise control is on without depressing the accelerator.  You also can't slip your foot under it since it's bolted to the floor, and slipping your foot under the brake pedal is hardly safe in case you need to throw the anchor out suddenly only to find a paw wedging it from going  fully down.:sadsmile:.

The other side of that design choice is that under the wrong conditions all it takes is a small stone getting into the hole at the side of the accelerator pedal and hey presto you've got a broken accelerator pedal! I know this from experience as that is exactly what happened to my car when it was only a few months old. Not ideal in a four wheel drive car which is probably going to get driven fairly often wearing muddy shoes/boots which may well bring a few stones into the car. Certainly a very rare mishap but something which shouldn't be possible to happen at all with any car!

• 2 weeks later...

Only crap quality paint on my 2012 car has been annoying. Everything else about it still amazes me. The few little mods I've done have just turned an incredibly well rounded car into an unbelievably capable & rapid cross country mile muncher. The remap on the 170tdi makes it so effortlessly quick & the 4x4 means all that performance is available all of the time, in all weathers. Brembo brakes reign it all in brilliantly too & Winters make it unstoppable in the snow. The Eibach springs are astonishingly good although Bilstein B6s were a mistake. The B4s now fitted let the Eibachs do their thing properly & suit the nature of the car better, so much so the low speed ride quality is noticeably smoother than in the standard 2017 1.2tsi SE-L I drove last night, yet the Eibach/B4 combination also improves the handling significantly at higher speeds, even more so when the road gets rougher as it just doggedly holds its line in a quick corner so well. Drives like a hot hatch, rides like an E class, swallows junk like a van & as reliable as something Japanese! Like others have already said, it's also the 1st car I've ever seriously contemplated replacing like-for-like. 5 people have driven my car, all were astounded how good it is & 3 bought one as a result. 

Edited by bargee1759
  • Thanks 1

Bought my Black ( Moon White) edition last August after retiring and company cars for 35 years  - 140hp manual diesel - it really is a good car - i remember the torque from my Diesel golf  - handles a treat - clutch is a tad heavy but can live with it - slight bit of rust on the bottom tip of both front doors but i am on top of it - it looks dam good - some of my Jag / Range Rover type buddies i think are jealous , i just laugh at their Fuel consumption and lack of flexibility - not enough snow to test the 4WD but it will be better than pushing my Merc up a nearby hill in first out of the car - an inch at a time to get home      

Now I have had my RAV4 1 month I'm struck by how narrow the YETI was by comparison (and lower roofline - I can't reach the centre top of the front screen on the RAV - I'm 5'9").

Dimensions didn't seem an issue when I owned it - just on reflection it really does show its age in comparison to younger designs.

More an observation than a criticism though.

Bill :)