1,5 TSI with 7-speed DSG

fp01

I experience problems like very rough and choppy torq delivery from the drive line after cold start, especially when temperature is down to around zero.

Especially when trying to drive softly at low speeds up to 3:rd gear.

The problems fades more or less after warm up, but the more irritating directly after start.

The car is quite new with less then 2000 km on the meter... has anyone the same experience, perhaps an upgrade on the ECU could help?

I have not checked the fault memory, but as the engine lamp has not turned on (yet), probably nothing is stored in the memory.

My Karoq behaves in exactly the same way, in the same given conditions. Not a full blown "kangaroo" but almost a back/front jerkiness and hesitancy. No problems in the warmer weather or when the engine is fully warm. Mine has done 4000k+ miles, purchased last April. For me its annoying but not too much of a problem, but a software update would be welcome.

This I think is the same problem that the manual drivers are facing but the DSG mitigates it.

I got back yesterday from a 10 day break in Malta, the car was icy after being stood still at East Midlands airport long stay car park.

It is quite an intricate low speed way out of the airport and very cold last night. The car juddered and jumped all the way until I was able to get on the motorway and out of the low gears. I have noted this right from the beginning, (see my previous posts) as Skoda will say a feature, I think a design fault that they allowed out as they needed revenue and they hope to fix it later.

As the 1.5 is a key engine for VAG let's hope they can find a decent fix... Too much money tied up in the engine and they still need the revenue after all the recent issues they have had...

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I have of course talked to my local service company and a I can read "between the lines" that they are aware of the problem, but so fare they refuse to agree that

Skoda or VAG has accepted this as a general problem for the 1,5 TSI engine, or that there will be an update of the s/w or whatever needed to cure the problems.

I´m sure there must be a solution for this, and I will give feedback as soon as I have any news.

I suspect with the combination 4x4 and dsg it will slightly disguise the issue with the 1.5 engine in the short term but it will be a car to avoid in the long term I suspect!

We have a Jan 2018 Edition model and according to husband, he's the main driver, he hasn't experienced this at all.  Our car is garaged over night but even when he leaves work v late at night he says he hasn't noticed it, I presumed it was the newer models but obviously not. :blush:

In addition to the discussion: I believe the DSG kan mitigate the problem a bit. I can sometimes see on the tachometer that the engines revs up a bit without the car jumping along,

meaning the clutch disengage quickly, then a few seconds later the car jumps like if you tap on the accelerator...

So, I like to think the problem is in the complete drive line including the ECU, not the engine alone. Something is not playing well after cold start and in cold weather, the system would

need a retune and update.

39 minutes ago, womanofkent said:

We have a Jan 2018 Edition model and according to husband, he's the main driver, he hasn't experienced this at all.  Our car is garaged over night but even when he leaves work v late at night he says he hasn't noticed it, I presumed it was the newer models but obviously not. :blush:

Our 26th Jan 2018 registered SEL manual 1.5Tsi has always had this FAULT and almost covered 12,000 miles before it's first Birthday tomorrow.:party:

• Sad 1

Mentioned this to our dealer at the first service.  They're aware of the issue (they couldn't replicate it when giving it a go as is usually the case with these thing) and expecting a software upgrade around April/May.  Have been told to contact them late March if we haven't had a call to book it in for the update by that time.  So suggest others maybe do the same?  He may well have just been appeasing me, but seemed like a nice enough fellow.

2 hours ago, sexdrugskaroqnroll said:

Mentioned this to our dealer at the first service.  They're aware of the issue (they couldn't replicate it when giving it a go as is usually the case with these thing) and expecting a software upgrade around April/May.  Have been told to contact them late March if we haven't had a call to book it in for the update by that time.  So suggest others maybe do the same?  He may well have just been appeasing me, but seemed like a nice enough fellow.

Thanks for info ours going in for first service on 29th Jan so will get husband to ask, did anything happen about your charging box, ours was delivered with the car and we have the booster attached just hoping they don't stop those on the service

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I hope this info is useful for Karoq 1.5 DSG drivers.  My 1st November 2018 Karoq is going back to the dealership today indefinitely, Skoda are supplying me with an equivalent size hire car.  From new the car has been kangerooing from a cold start, but more recently has been "hitching" in 6/7th gears which is terrifying to the point that I'm sticking to the left lanes wherever possible in case I break down.  The car went back a couple of weeks ago to sort this, and the dealer confirmed its a known software flaw with the DSG that Skoda are working to resolve, with a fix scheduled for June.  They told me a number of other Karoq customers have reported the same issues.  Yesterday, I drove off my driveway (very slowly as its a sharp right turn on a narrow road) and the car lost drive.  I was stranded half in the road, half in the drive, couldn't depress the accelerator, lost power steering and the car was rolling forwards a couple of feet, then back a couple of feet, it did this twice. No warning lights, engine was still running.  I put it in park, handbrake switched on, I switched off the ignition, re-started the car, and all was fine other than the kangarooing was worse than ever until the engine warmed up.  No problems this morning, car was smooth as silk.  Has this happened to anyone else? I also have a couple of other niggles - the car "groans" horribly in reverse (Skoda can't resolve this issue), and the petrol flap is a nightmare to open and close.  I would be very interested to know if anyone else has these issues and whether the dealer has been as helpful as mine, I'm grateful for the hire car as I don't think my Karoq is safe to drive.  My husband has a 1st May 2017 Kodiaq SEL diesel DSG and he has had no problems at all and is at 35,000 miles.  I'm disappointed because I got rid of my 2016 Focus Estate as it had the notorious wobbly Powershift system and I was hoping for some smooth driving!

24 minutes ago, Georgina said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I hope this info is useful for Karoq 1.5 DSG drivers.  My 1st November 2018 Karoq is going back to the dealership today indefinitely, Skoda are supplying me with an equivalent size hire car.  From new the car has been kangerooing from a cold start, but more recently has been "hitching" in 6/7th gears which is terrifying to the point that I'm sticking to the left lanes wherever possible in case I break down.  The car went back a couple of weeks ago to sort this, and the dealer confirmed its a known software flaw with the DSG that Skoda are working to resolve, with a fix scheduled for June.  They told me a number of other Karoq customers have reported the same issues.  Yesterday, I drove off my driveway (very slowly as its a sharp right turn on a narrow road) and the car lost drive.  I was stranded half in the road, half in the drive, couldn't depress the accelerator, lost power steering and the car was rolling forwards a couple of feet, then back a couple of feet, it did this twice. No warning lights, engine was still running.  I put it in park, handbrake switched on, I switched off the ignition, re-started the car, and all was fine other than the kangarooing was worse than ever until the engine warmed up.  No problems this morning, car was smooth as silk.  Has this happened to anyone else? I also have a couple of other niggles - the car "groans" horribly in reverse (Skoda can't resolve this issue), and the petrol flap is a nightmare to open and close.  I would be very interested to know if anyone else has these issues and whether the dealer has been as helpful as mine, I'm grateful for the hire car as I don't think my Karoq is safe to drive.  My husband has a 1st May 2017 Kodiaq SEL diesel DSG and he has had no problems at all and is at 35,000 miles.  I'm disappointed because I got rid of my 2016 Focus Estate as it had the notorious wobbly Powershift system and I was hoping for some smooth driving!

Hi Georgina.  That does sound quite concerning I have to say.  How many miles on your Karoq?  My better half is the primary driver of our Karoq and I'd hate for her to end up stranded out of a junction.  I'm hoping (without being mean to you!) that yours is very specific to your gearbox.  We get the jumped start in ours, though it isn't unmanagable and just takes a bit of technique.  Hopefully your hire car restores some faith in the car for you.  That software update can't come soon enough I think.

7 minutes ago, sexdrugskaroqnroll said:

Hi Georgina.  That does sound quite concerning I have to say.  How many miles on your Karoq?  My better half is the primary driver of our Karoq and I'd hate for her to end up stranded out of a junction.  I'm hoping (without being mean to you!) that yours is very specific to your gearbox.  We get the jumped start in ours, though it isn't unmanagable and just takes a bit of technique.  Hopefully your hire car restores some faith in the car for you.  That software update can't come soon enough I think.

Hi, thanks for the feedback - done just over 2,000 miles.  I’m hoping I’ve got a Karoq on hire although been told might end up with an Octavia, as it will be interesting to drive another Karoq.  The lumpy starts can be managed by accelerating into the upper range but I can’t do that from our house as there are some twists and turns to navigate for a couple of hundred yards, so I look a bit of an idiot til I join the main roads!

1 hour ago, Georgina said:

Hi, thanks for the feedback - done just over 2,000 miles.  I’m hoping I’ve got a Karoq on hire although been told might end up with an Octavia, as it will be interesting to drive another Karoq.  The lumpy starts can be managed by accelerating into the upper range but I can’t do that from our house as there are some twists and turns to navigate for a couple of hundred yards, so I look a bit of an idiot til I join the main roads!

Terrible! Bought mine in April, having done 6,500 miles now and its nothing like you describe. Mine was before the WLTP adjustments- I wonder if this makes any difference. I hope you get it sorted out ASAP. What a nightmare.

No groaning in reverse,  but yes, the fuel filler cap needs a very firm push to open it! If this fails a well placed karate chop may do the trick!

When it's really cold my post WLTP 1.5 DSG is not happy when you first set off from cold

Incidentally mine hunts up and down from about 800 to 1200 rpm old cold start up....and that happens at all ambient temperatures

Just collected my temporary hire car (Karoq TDI 1.5 DSG) - dealer says they reckon the lumpy start from cold is engine not DSG but my loss of gear (obvs) is gearbox related. Will keep you updated ! Thanks for all your replies.

My 1.5 DSG is 6 weeks old and  has no problems. 1400 miles. No kangarooing no surging etc. Built week 48 2018.

My first DSG box makes changing gear with your hand seem odd now.

What a great car! Very pleased.

Edited by clivecoo
  • Like 1