chip or remap for more torque/power DIESEL 190

mentaliss

Having done both I wouldn’t hesitate to say remap every time.

Pick someone reputable who do ultra smooth maps rather than those chasing numbers and you won’t go far wrong.

Shark Performance used to be one of the best, they have since ceased trading and the owner / mapper now does the same thing for Racingline (so it’s still a Shark map in all but name)

Remap every time but you also need to lift the torque limits in the TCU if DSG to realise the benefit. Good remapped should take care of that though. Remap will be obvious to dealer so best wait until out if warranty. Remap box simply isn’t as sophisticated as a remap.

Re Manufacturers warranty.

I never understand why people think waiting 3 years to increase performance is a good idea to preserve a warranty.

If the Remap is going to cause engine or drivetrain failure and cost you in the wallet it might as well be in year 1,2,3 as in year 4 or later.

Fill your boots and if it goes wrong then you just have to pay up and fix things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Skoffski said:

If the Remap is going to cause engine or drivetrain failure and cost you in the wallet it might as well be in year 1,2,3 as in year 4 or later.

Most reputable tuning companies will give a drivetrain and engine warranty.

8 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Re Manufacturers warranty.

I never understand why people think waiting 3 years to increase performance is a good idea to preserve a warranty.

Fill your boots and if it goes wrong then you just have to pay up and fix things.

It will save a difficult conversation with your dealer if an issue is perceived to be linked. Which will likely happen. Common sense. After 3 years you map away and nothing is lost, if it breaks it is your issue and you pay to fix it. I would not expect drivetrain failure either. I have run cars for 15 plus years on remaps and never had an issue. The issue is not remaps from my experience, it is the driver. Drive a car hard all the time mapped or not and it will break.

• Confused 1

Obviously it saves a difficult discussion.

Your warranty is not with a Dealership though. so you know about Non Factory Approved Engine Management / Software or hardware.

If you own the car you decide keep warranty valid or not.

If you rent a car it is not yours to do with as you wish.

Many of us run Remaps and tuned cars so that has nothing to do with if someone is putting up with the car they bought and think needs more for 3 years before remapping.

The issue can be a duff engine from VW as they turn out from time to time with garbage R&D and turbo's water pumps etc, that might just fail in under 2 or 3 years.

Same with Gearboxes, manuals or DSG's.

Then the likes of an International Company like REVO develop or develop poorly a remap.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.  

You live and learn if you see enough and open your eyes.

I appreciate the warranty is not with the dealership, I did not suggest it was but it is likely that is where you will go first when you need warranty work and hook your car up to diagnostics and potentially identify a remap.

My original point was that if you suffer an issue that is normally covered under warranty, say a turbo or DSG gearbox etc., then it is reasonable to assume that Skoda may cover it under warranty in the first 3 years. That costs you nothing. Every manufacturer turns out components that do not meet MTBB.

If you remap a car in the first three years and you suffer an issue, say a turbo or DSG gearbox etc., that may be attributed to the remap your conversation with said dealership may be a difficult one and you may end up paying for that  work yourself.

So in both circumstances you have the aforementioned components (for example) that fail to meet their MTBB for whatever reason in the first 3 years, one you pay to fix and one you do not based on when you choose to remap your car.

I have read the helpful posts here and it appears to be more support of the remap than chipping however the consequences of installing a re-map does appear to be a major concern of people opting to do this and the on going concern throughout the ownership of a vehicle that it has a device fitted that can invalidate the Manufactures Warranty.... therefore in my case I think the case of the latest Tech'  plug-able Tuning Chip + pedal power is the way I prefer to go.. anyone?

@ZacDaMan72  VW Group / Warranty Underwriters are not OK with Dealerships with employees that are OK with None Factory Approved Software or Hardware.

Service Managers opinions or Master Techs turning blind eyes can mean nothing, a Warranty Manager and a Loss Adjuster reading the 'Claim' a customer submits matters much more.

There were members here that had Turbo Failures of Golf R and SEAT Cupra that had the 'Turbos' with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing , Material failings and got off with having had a remap.

There was ones that were in trouble with the Leased Cars they had voided the Warranty on someone else's car but then VW were having the failures anyway, Standard or Remapped.

Nurburgring not an issue really if the car has not been modified & leased, or simply you own the vehicle..

Edited by Skoffski

It would be interesting to know if Skoda would instruct a dealer to check an ECUs signature in the case of an engine or gearbox related major warranty claim. I'm sure is easy for them to check. Even restored ECU's will leave telltale evidence.