Oil level on brand new Superb

Took delivery of a new 272 Superb last week. This weekend decided to check out some basic bits...tyre pressure, oil levels etc and noticed the oil on the dipstick was just below the range indicators on the stick. The dealership is inconveniently far away...is this something I can just sort myself or should I be getting Skoda to do something about it?

Even though it should have previously been sorted I think it would be in your best interest to do it yourself this time.

Maybe worth mentioning it to the dealer though.

As @Skoffski posted this earlier in another thread, I thought that he wouldn't mind me posting it here too.

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png

Edited by john999boy
Typo

I don't if they still do but they used to come with one litre of oil in the boot. Have you check the rear side compartments. At least it would be  a short fix. Other than that. Have you ensured that the road was flat and the engine had been switched of before checking. If you have the either photograph it, put some correct oil in or phone the dealer/recovery people.

It should not be that low on a week old car, unless you have just covered several thousand miles over that week.:D  

The manual says to switch the engine off that means the engine is warm at that time. If you check the oil level when the engine is cold, presumably it will be higher than the level B on the dip stick???

Not warm.

@ normal  operating temperature.  That is above 80*oC, 

Read the cars Owners Manual. 

But the Oil level should be high enough when cold and parked on the flat. 

@Fantantonio

You posted in that thread recently on 'checks when picking up a new car.   Then posted about Oil Temp when you were looking at the coolant.

Check the Oil then contact the Dealer Principal if the cars oil was wrong on collection after the PDI.

Check what the tyre pressures are if you have not already.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking should the oil light not be on in the dash if the oil really was this low? I tried to find the most level spot to check the level, but it may have had a very slighy downwards incline (although surely that would show a higher reading than normal). Either way I'm a bit anxious about driving it properly again until I know it's alright.

The Oil level has to be pretty low to get a Low Oil warning light or message or a Low Oil Pressure light or message.

Dip it cold if the car is on the flat. Car not started. See where it is.

Take the car for a few miles drive, at least 5 miles. Stop on the flat, open the bonnet, 

the oil should be between 50-80 / 90*oC after 5 miles.

Dip it after a few minutes and see where it is.

If not in Area 'A' of the dipstick it is low.

Edited by Skoffski

Tempted to just do a top up myself, seems straight forward enough only I'm not sure which oil to buy that will mix well with whatever was put in it from the factory. The manual doesn't shed any light on this. Does anyone know if Castrol 150B0B EDGE Engine Oil 5W-40 (or 5W-30) is ok to use?

43 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Your car has VW 508/509 oil, so 0w 20fs ll. You need that until you decide to go to VW 504 when servicing. 5w 30fs long life. 

I'm not sure on this ski. IIRC I think I read that 508/509 shouldn't be used in EA888 engines.

Needs checking carefully.

My 1.4tsi has a sticker on the slam panel in the engine bay stating 504/507, the OP should check if he has a sticker.

Also there is some doubt also whether 508/509 can be mixed with other grades, I have no idea why that should be so, goes against what I thought I knew about modern engine oils.

Maybe consult Opieoils.co.uk, their rep, oilman is a member here, pm him

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

@xman

You might well be right,

(non WLTP Approved engines are different & SEAT & VW WLTP Certificated 1.4 TSI's in the Alhambra / Sharan and these left the factory with VW508)

So the OP needs to check the Owners Manuals, The Stickers, & with the Dealership and a Technician and if the Engine Oil was Low.

@Fantantonio

The Dealership can supply oil. Free Gratis if low at hand over after a PDI.

If VW508/509 it is a ridiculous price. (from Dealerships in 1litre bottles, it is...)

Superb 2.0TSI 272 is 202kW

WLTP Approved and i suspect they used VW508/509 to get the WLTP Certification.    As they do.

Best Check.

***"The use of VW504 instead of VW508 can result in a slight deterioration in the emissions values."***

Lets see if the 0w 20 FS LL crap results in the deterioration of the longevity of TSI's over the next few years!

@Fantantonio

5w 40 FS to VW502 is for Fixed Servicing, that would be your choice, if you wanted to start using this not Long Life oil, after the Oil changed and you go to Fixed Servicing intervals

if you do not want to go Fixed Serving and still use Long Life Oil.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

5w 40 FS so to VW502 00 can be added in an emergency (nothing else available and a warning light shows) with VW508/509 0w 20 FS LL or VW504/507 5w 30 FS LL, but do not mix oil specs early in the mileage from new, 

after a Service & Oil change etc.

Just if you are really stuck and can not get the correct oil and maybe the engine is due an oil change.

*Best carry a spare litre of the correct spec oil in the car, & because it is important there used to be a litre bottle put in new cars.

'A Castrol promotion... ie Sponsoring VW...*

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

Edited by Skoffski

What did the dealer say and did you take pictures before you top up as evidence. I thought that the cars were filled up at the factory to a automatically controlled level.

@Danny 57

They certainly should be.

But as you find at a PDI they might show low Oil & Low Coolant. 

Remember the Hand Over Mileage can be after the 'Transit' setting is changed.

(You never know if some 'Testing' happened to a car being imported.  Like after arriving in the UK.

Cars were 'banked' in 2018 & early 2019.   Stored somewhere while WLTP Approval was being waited for.

So check new cars.

Some cars built over 6 months ago or 5 months should maybe be getting a Oil & Filter change now before First Registered and Warranty begins.

Time will tell dependent on where the sat for months before going in Transit.

Time will tell how tyres are after sitting on some runway or where ever in what ever weather.

Good.

I take it your car was not one built sometime around last Summer / Autumn and sitting 'Banked'.

I do wonder if we will ever know how these cars were cared for while stored.

Was there people going around firing up the engines, weekly, or monthly or whatever as they sat for months at storage facilities?

11 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Good.

I take it your car was not one built sometime around last Summer / Autumn and sitting 'Banked'.

I do wonder if we will ever know how these cars were cared for while stored.

Was there people going around firing up the engines, weekly, or monthly or whatever as they sat for months at storage facilities?

When you say `Banked`...I assume you mean cars destined for dealerships stock as opposed to cars meeting customers orders?

No i mean 'Banked' (Bunkered) as in Stored because they could not be First Registered after August 2019 when not WLTP Approved.

But Millions of cars from various manufacturers are sitting awaiting delivery World Wide, some maybe in better climates / environments than others..

Maybe a Multi-story car park is preferable to a Runway near an operational airfield. (fallout)

Or at a Seaside Depot or near Railway Sidings...(fallout) 

Where would you chose to store a Porsche / Audi / VW or even a Skoda / Seat if you are VW?

ie, or eg!

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/458953-new-superb-with-pitted-windows-and-chromes

Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 08.58.06.png

Edited by Skoffski

No way I would top up a brand new car that I have just paid good money for. Nothing to do with my ability or willingness to do technical work (I do lots of it actually) but the car should have been delivered with ALL its fluids in check.

I would take it right back and ask them to check and top it up, as well as ask to document the incident. 99% someone forgot to check, there shouldn't be any drinking oil issues with this engine (is it the 272 IIRC?)

Checked mine this morning as I took delivery of my 272 on Thursday and somehow forgot to check oil, it was right at the line between B and A area, as it should be.

• Like 1

Yeah mine is right at the bottom of the dipstick “zone” which according to the manual is too low. I would do it myself to save hassle but maybe you’re right and I should just take it in on the weekend and have it done by a professional. Won’t be the dealer I bought from as that’s a 2 hour drive away but got another official VW/Audi/Skoda dealer who’s agreed to do it and the original dealer pay for it.

• Like 1

Just now, xman said:

I would be very worried that this engine was a drinker. Check the level regularly!

Why would he? There are no drinking issues with the high power 2.0 TSI variants that's for sure. He'd have to be really, extremely, unfortunate to get such a car.

• Like 1