Low millage but high priced.

tonyblue

I’ve been on the hunt for a low millage good condition MK1 for a while and I’ve seen this sitting on Autotrade since Christmas. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810261849492

218489_23_big.jpg

Obviously the price is probably the reason it’s not sold as it’s very strong money for a VRS.

For the millage, history, and described condition, is it worth a punt? 

I will be viewing this weekend to see if it ticks the box.

This one came up on another thread recently.

Personally I think it's over-priced. For a fun/weekend/show car there are surely better options at that price. For a daily you'd worry about it too much and would want to get an agreed value policy.

9 services would probably be OK at that low mileage if there wasn't a 4 year/16k gap between two of them.

It's got to be one of the lower mileage examples out there but that the dealer is too optimistic on the price. Their time may come at some point but right now they're not worth a great deal in the grand scheme of things. They haven't been caught up in the whole "ask silly money just because it's a bit unusual" fad; for better or worse. Plenty of well looked after examples out there, albeit with higher mileage; just as long as they're cared for and have been regularly serviced.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth whatever someone will pay. VRS prices are at the lowest they’ll probably ever be and this ones been trying its luck for a while. Make a cheeky offer, you never know. But as said it’s the least desirable colour imo. Others will not much more mileage have struggled to sell at 2-2.5k. They do come up if you’re patient. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another red one over here had 80k odd,  sold for £3.5k recently and went back over to west midlands or somewhere. Values maybe going up as harder to find lower milers?

Dealers always chance their arm with something they see as unusual and low mileage. 

As said have a look and make a cheeky offer as the yellow won't appeal to everyone, it does look clean.

I was looking one for around 2or3months before found mine with 67k on it a few years ago.

There was a similarly low mileage, yellow example for sale recently on Gumtree. Can't recall where it was located but the private seller was only asking around £1700. Dealers are always going to have a considerable markup if they think they've got something unusual.

One day we might all look back and think how cheap they once were. I mean, if it can happen to most hot hatches from the `80s/`90s it's surely only a matter of time. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Passeyfier said:

There was a similarly low mileage, yellow example for sale recently on Gumtree. Can't recall where it was located but the private seller was only asking around £1700. Dealers are always going to have a considerable markup if they think they've got something unusual.

One day we might all look back and think how cheap they once were. I mean, if it can happen to most hot hatches from the `80s/`90s it's surely only a matter of time. 

Might be the same, but there are two for sale currently. Latest one is yellow on 59K in Canvey Island. Looks lovely!

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, tonyblue said:

Linky please!

Already sold by the looks of it, and I’m really not surprised as it was only £1600 I think. Sorry, this is why I didn’t post it.

1B00A973-126B-4BCC-96FA-5D7252CBAA09.jpeg

Managed to find the link @tonyblue and a cached version of it with details. Might be able to contact the person. If I had seen this last week I would’ve bought that.... But I just picked up a black one with cruise control and parking sensors 54 plate in black on 95,000.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.gumtree.com/p/skoda/skoda-ovtavia-vrs-very-low-miles-1-owner-/1333490348

All the best.

Edited by DeanVRS20VT
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Already sold by the looks of it, and I’m really not surprised as it was only £1600 I think. Sorry, this is why I didn’t post it.

1B00A973-126B-4BCC-96FA-5D7252CBAA09.jpeg

Managed to find the link @tonyblue and a cached version of it with details. Might be able to contact the person. If I had seen this last week I would’ve bought that.... But I just picked up a black one with cruise control and parking sensors 54 plate in black on 95,000.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.gumtree.com/p/skoda/skoda-ovtavia-vrs-very-low-miles-1-owner-/1333490348

All the best.

Just twigged why it didn’t come up on my search, he spelt Octavia wrong. 

That would have been perfect, the search continues. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, tonyblue said:

Just twigged why it didn’t come up on my search, he spelt Octavia wrong. 

That would have been perfect, the search continues. 

When I was searching for my red one, I put in every sort of possible search criteria I could think of. Try Octavia, Octavia RS (as that’s on the log book) Octavia 1.8T, VRS 1.8T, MK1 Octavia VRS. Took me well over a month to find the perfect one. Even came with Factory Heated Seats. Only thing missing off the list was sunroof and xenons. 

Look on preloved, rac cars, and any of search results google comes up with. Even Facebook market place!

P.S. Don’t worry about the higher mileage ones. I test drove a 79,000 mile one I was going to buy the other month. And it drove like absolute dog turd. My Red one was on 118,000 and it drove so smooth. It was well looked after and that’s what counts. Bags of history and test drive, as it’s not all about the mileage.

Edited by DeanVRS20VT

10 hours ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Only thing missing off the list was sunroof

It's got factory air, so the main things a sunroof does are add weight as high as possible and rob headroom. (got an Elegance with standard Climate and sunroof; rarely use the sunroof.)

• Like 1

I gave up looking for a Mk1 vRS.  There's too many people who feel their dog 5hi7 examples are 'future collectors cars' and subsequently they try and command a totally unrealistic asking price. I looked at low mileage examples with sketchy service history and suspected major body repairs, I surmised the low mileage was likely due to them being off the road for a while awaiting body shop action!  I looked at some mechanically well maintained high mileage examples which cosmetically (interior/exterior) were too far gone and the cost of putting things right were more than the asking price and the combined price exceeded would I would have paid for a mint one.  I've also people telling me that their Mk1 vRS has the bullet proof 2.0 TFSI engine :D.  I never really felt that anyone I spoke to was a genuine enthusiast for the marque or that they particularly cared about the car.  

I would have potentially paid 'over the odds' to get the car I felt was worth it.  I never found that car! If I was in the market now then I'd just buy from someone on here who has cherished the car and had it for a good few years; it's a nice way to check the history of the car, if the seller is a frequent poster.   I kept an eye out on here for ages, one nice car came up and it was sold and collected within hours. 

In the end I bought a Mk4 Golf GTI with 65K miles on the clock (yes the crap one that nobody likes!).  The car is straight, had one MoT failure in it's life (dipped beam too high) and has gone no more than 6k miles between annual services.  It's just gone through it's first MoT in our ownership, with one advisory.  So far I've had to fork out for all the usual faults on a Mk4 Golf/VW group car of this era; internal leak from sunroof drains, airbag connector loose under the passenger seat and a dodgy thermostat and temp sensor.  Now those items have been rectified I'm hoping to have a respite from unexpected bills.  It's a great little car though, plenty of character and usually get's more attention from passers by than my Superb 280.  Next project is to start replacing the awful walnut interior trim panels. 

• Like 1

I like to keep an eye on what's out there, not that I need another one but just to see the general prices they're fetching. 

A lot of the adverts I've seen do not fill me with confidence; poor quality pictures, terrible grammar and to be honest many sellers don't seem to know what they're talking about. "Remapped, fast" etc but then mismatched tyres, questionable service history, suspect mods and the like. 

If I was looking to buy one now I'd be very careful. I was pretty fortunate with mine...until I took it to a proper, reputable garage and got a £1000 repair bill for past botch jobs. :D But I wouldn't sell it for the world, now most things have been fixed and it's more akin to how I've always wanted it to be. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Passeyfier said:

I like to keep an eye on what's out there, not that I need another one but just to see the general prices they're fetching. 

A lot of the adverts I've seen do not fill me with confidence; poor quality pictures, terrible grammar and to be honest many sellers don't seem to know what they're talking about. "Remapped, fast" etc but then mismatched tyres, questionable service history, suspect mods and the like. 

If I was looking to buy one now I'd be very careful. I was pretty fortunate with mine...until I took it to a proper, reputable garage and got a £1000 repair bill for past botch jobs. :D But I wouldn't sell it for the world, now most things have been fixed and it's more akin to how I've always wanted it to be. 

Exactly the same, with my recent black vrs, the guy wrote an essay about the car,, was impressive to say the least and so was the car and history. Two cambelts with receipts before 87,000 miles. He even kept petrol receipts, one look over the car and I was impressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1