is a brake disc / rotor / caliper / pad a major or minor job?

There is something wrong with the braking system on one wheel, my infrared thermometer shows the braking disc to be about 100C higher than other 3 wheels. 

I don't know what exactly is wrong, there was some juddering when braking at high speeds which I was told to keep an eye on, but yesterday it suddenly got worse in every way.

The dealership garage is very busy and says its booked 7 days in advance. The car is currently left there but I am considering taking it out if the repair is likely to be minor or not require much skill or familiarity with skoda cars specifically so that any independent garage can do it? any one advise on whether this is likely to be a big or small job? thanks

First thought would be a sticky brake caliper, slider pins.

?

So when were the brakes serviced, stripped, cleaned, greased?  Not a big job, just Preventive Servicing and Maintenance.

If you have not done it, or can not do it then an Independent Garage might be happy to, and could do them.

'Simple' & Simply Clever to get brakes serviced.

Brake Fluid changed at 3 years and every 2, or at least check the H20 content.

FMDSH does not mean ever done.

Lots not done as part of Main Dealer Servicing unless you ask and pay. 

Screenshot 2019-03-14 at 11.57.18.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

It does sound like a sticking caliper. It's an easy job for any competent mechanic, amateur or professional, so you shouldn't feel under any pressure to leave it with the dealership.

The repair will require some stripdown of the affected caliper, and depending on how serious the problem is you could be looking at replacing the slide pins (cheap but there may be a time delay getting them). New brake pads should be fitted to the affected axle (replace both sides) but you may get away without replacing the disks if they're not badly worn or scored.

I'd find a good independent in your area and get a quote from them for the work.

• Like 2

I don't know when the brakes were serviced specifically, the brake fluid themselves are replaced on a timer. I usually just let the dealership mechanic say what it needs. 

I just rang a couple of independent garages around the dealership, where the car is currently sat, but both of them said would be next week which is not ideal. if all the garages say monday or later then there's not much point as i'll have missed the weekend same as leaving it at dealership. I could try ringing further out, but i'm having to double back on the direction i've already driven today and now looking up to a 15 mile trip? I mean, what i've already drove yesterday and this morning I already did and that won't change now. but not sure how much more distance the car can be driven like this?

11 minutes ago, newskodadriver said:

I don't know when the brakes were serviced specifically, the brake fluid themselves are replaced on a timer. I usually just let the dealership mechanic say what it needs. 

I just rang a couple of independent garages around the dealership, where the car is currently sat, but both of them said would be next week which is not ideal. if all the garages say monday or later then there's not much point as i'll have missed the weekend same as leaving it at dealership. I could try ringing further out, but i'm having to double back on the direction i've already driven today and now looking up to a 15 mile trip? I mean, what i've already drove yesterday and this morning I already did and that won't change now. but not sure how much more distance the car can be driven like this?

All other things being equal, an independent will be a good deal cheaper than the dealership. My dealer quoted nearly €400 for changing front disks and pads - an independent is about half that including parts.

As for driving it safely, it depends on how badly the caliper is seized. By the sounds of it from your OP, it's quite bad now and driving it any distance at speed may not be safe. See if the dealer will throw in a courtesy car for you while you're waiting for them to sort out the problem? It'd keep you mobile and get you some way towards your money's worth from them.

I too suspect a sticking caliper, fair wear and tear.

If it's getting as hot as you say it is, then you risk warping the disc, and even cooking the wheel bearing if you drive for any length of time at those temperatures.

Its relatively rare for garages to strip down and repair calipers these days, it's often just as cost effective to replace it.

It doesn't sound like moving the car is going to get it back on the road much sooner. If you can be chewed, and if the independent garages are less than 5 miles away from the main dealer, ask them for a written quote for a replacement caliper. Chances are, if it does end up being the issue, the main dealer might agree to price match. 

• Like 2

I have never seen or heard a Main Dealer Mechanic recommend brake servicing.

Never much seen any mechanics, just Technicians, Trainees or Fitters and receptionists.

A Mobile Mechanic / Mobile Mechanical Engineer Locally might be an idea for a Brake Service / strip down.

• Like 2

Recently had front discs and pads replaced + brake fluid change at local Halfords. Booked online Sunday afternoon, took car in at 8:30 the following day, collected it at 14:30. £320. 

I'm waiting for a quote on the nearest independent mechanic free now. But the dealership have actuality managed to take the wheel off and diagnose it. Says front caliper is seized solid and need to be replaced with some accompanying parts. Quote was for £398 done for tomorrow. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

I have never seen or heard a Main Dealer Mechanic recommend brake servicing.

Never much seen any mechanics, just Technicians, Trainees or Fitters and receptionists.

A Mobile Mechanic / Mobile Mechanical Engineer Locally might be an idea for a Brake Service / strip down.

My car was serviced by a main dealer here in January: they had an advisory note on the front brakes for rust and scoring (probably fair since they're screeching like a banshee)  and rear springs for rust as well (having measured them myself, they're due for replacement). I'll be getting both done soon (but not by Skoda).

Even cars with 20% brake pad wear so normal brake use will often get an 'Advisory' at a Main Dealer Service saying 80% worn. (Until you challenge them on the actual wear.)

So they are

'Advising replacing the Discs and pads.'

That is not advice to 'Service Brakes', Preventive Servicing and Maintenance, a brake strip and gease.

that is 'Upselling'  by Technicians / Fitters.   

So as i posted, I have never seen or heard a Main Dealer Mechanic recommend Brake servicing.

Edited by Skoffski

I’ve never known a dealer to actually service the brakes as described above, most independents don’t either due to the time involved. If you’re lucky when they change the pads they may clean up the caliper and pins but most will leave it until the caliper sizes up as it’s cheaper for the owner. Many owners baulk at the price of a fluid change, a caliper service and they’d have kittens. 

Prestige and high performance  models will probably get a proper strip and clean other than that it’s the domain of the home mechanic who doesn’t have to worry about overheads and labour charges. 

• Like 1

The Current Skoda 'Fixed Price' Service site does say about removing wheels.  (flying pig there.)  But brakes might well get inspected.

The sites on and off for a decade have referred to the cars with Rear Drums by saying that they would be cleaned.

They also said 'remove wheels', and some seemingly inspected from behind as you can, with wheels on.

The 'Dynamo' / Paul Daniels type ones could clean out the brakes without removing the wheels or drums.

Screenshot 2019-03-14 at 17.07.47.png

Edited by Skoffski

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Even cars with 20% brake pad wear so normal brake use will often get an 'Advisory' at a Main Dealer Service saying 80% worn. (Until you challenge them on the actual wear.)

So they are

'Advising replacing the Discs and pads.'

That is not advice to 'Service Brakes', Preventive Servicing and Maintenance, a brake strip and gease.

that is 'Upselling'  by Technicians / Fitters.   

So as i posted, I have never seen or heard a Main Dealer Mechanic recommend Brake servicing.

I can confirm that that brake servicing is not included in dealership servicing and I was told even if I paid for it, it is not for the calipers at all so wouldn't have helped, mainly for sticky pads. My pads were fine (or as fine as it would be with a probable warped disc that will have grooved the pad) 

Also, the break down did not include servicing of rear and that 398 was for one caliper + hose + associated stuff on one side and not Inc pads / discs for front axle.

In the end, I took it to a nearby independent garage which seemed OK. The dealership is in an opposite direction from where I work. Quote for front single caliper + flexihose and 2x front discs + 2 front pads was 310 Inc everything. 

The dealership quote for pads / discs for the 2 fronts would probably have been at least 600 if not double. 

Hopefully this independent garage will do a good job as it's not near where I live or work. Couldn't find any bad reviews and the garage owner is going to do the work himself, has 2 bays with ramps and isn't set in a literal back street so obviously people go there. 

Edited by newskodadriver
  • Like 1

I decided to replace front discs and pads because I was told by mechanics they couldn't tell if discs need changing after they've fitted the new calipers on to see if judder, but that I would probably need them changed because I'll have warped it by now. I was also told that diagnosing a caliper as source of judder is difficult unless it completely seizes, which it has here. 

4 hours ago, Skoffski said:

The Current Skoda 'Fixed Price' Service site does say about removing wheels.  (flying pig there.)  But brakes might well get inspected.

The sites on and off for a decade have referred to the cars with Rear Drums by saying that they would be cleaned.

They also said 'remove wheels', and some seemingly inspected from behind as you can, with wheels on.

The 'Dynamo' / Paul Daniels type ones could clean out the brakes without removing the wheels or drums.

Screenshot 2019-03-14 at 17.07.47.png

Not long had words with dealer who serviced my car.

got a phone call while it was in saying rear pads worn and discs pitted, ok how much will that be . £290 sir, I said no chance, knew pads where worn but never noticed the discs so i’ll Have a look myself.

next day drivers back stripped out, yes pads down but no sign of pitting/rust etc on disc but what was the issues was the pads where seized in the carrier. 

While I was at that side cleaning the bits up got a curtesy call asking all ok, No I say, then started going on about the pads being seized in, she couldn’t get off phone fast enough.

Both sides completed, cleaned up etc and resembled with both discs fine.

Later that day it got better of me due to the fact if i’d Known nothing about cars they would have got a lot more money off me

Call to Service manager complaining that they’ve never been out and cleaned up etc was probably the cause they are worn answer was not part of service so basically all they are doing is changing fluids I told him, No sir we do a full health check 

Brakes not included, yes sir but we don’t strip clean etc 

Unbelievable and car won’t be going back

Edited by Snapper1725
  • Like 1

Had similar issue on mine last year, disk was mad hot by time wife got it home.

Replaced caliper (and other side), left disks & pads and have been fine since.

Not much to service on calipers, sliders are just plain pins on plastic bushes, which just leaves the piston, by the time it's corded it and all the seals will need replacing, probably easier to just buy new/recon calipers.

1 hour ago, Gdcobra said:

Had similar issue on mine last year, disk was mad hot by time wife got it home.

Replaced caliper (and other side), left disks & pads and have been fine since.

Not much to service on calipers, sliders are just plain pins on plastic bushes, which just leaves the piston, by the time it's corded it and all the seals will need replacing, probably easier to just buy new/recon calipers.

are you supposed to replace caliper in pairs as well?

neither the dealership nor independent suggested that even though both suggested pairs of discs.

14 minutes ago, newskodadriver said:

are you supposed to replace caliper in pairs as well?

neither the dealership nor independent suggested that even though both suggested pairs of discs.

Not necessarily but I figured if one had gone there was a good chance other would soon follow and I didn’t want it to give up in the middle of winter. Also I got a better deal buying 2

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gdcobra said:

Not necessarily but I figured if one had gone there was a good chance other would soon follow and I didn’t want it to give up in the middle of winter. Also I got a better deal buying 2

oh. i didn't think of that.

it should be ok if I keep a watch out for any judder? I mean, it's been juddering while braking since christmas but I didn't know what it was and I was adviced to keep an eye on it until it literally died over the course of 1 afternoon. Now that I know what to look for, if I feel any more judder while breaking I could just use my infrared thermoter to check out the front right to see if that's going as well???

Edited by newskodadriver

Had a sticky caliper on my NSF wheel of the S2 combi with 123k on it. First I noticed MPG down last Thursday on my 196 mile round trip and some juddering whilst braking on the motorway. 

Fast forward to Saturday next time Car is used for local 10 miles trip in the rain. Car did not feel right at all, something blocking the drive locking on and off wheel drive. Could smell burning during the trip. Arrived at destination and boiling hot wheel confirmed. Drive home several hours later. Same hot wheel. 

Stripped that wheel down, caliper off, slide pins out. Cleaned and lightly sanded the gunk off the side pins. Wire brushed caliper and carrier. Greased pins and pads and caliper carriers. Also put some grease around what was left of the caliper piston once pushed back in. As I believe the disks are factory original or been kept on for a long time the inner face has a lip towards the outer edge and nothing on the outer face. The disk edges had loads of chunks of rust, which was duly tapped off and wire brushed. Replaced everything, went for a drive and wheel no longer getting hot. Been on my 196 mile commute and all seems well there too. 

Plan to do the other front wheel too; weather permitting. Hope this is the last I see of this. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, newskodadriver said:

oh. i didn't think of that.

it should be ok if I keep a watch out for any judder? I mean, it's been juddering while braking since christmas but I didn't know what it was and I was adviced to keep an eye on it until it literally died over the course of 1 afternoon. Now that I know what to look for, if I feel any more judder while breaking I could just use my infrared thermoter to check out the front right to see if that's going as well???

Replacing individual calipers is fine. I had one wheel bearing go a while back and asked the garage if it made sense to replace the bearings in pairs. He said not, and to be fair the other side is still fine.

I've maybe bounced up or off a kerb in the past, enough to shorten a single bearings life, but I have to admit, my logic would suggest that if one has failed then the one on the other side should have been exposed to the same wear, but possibly not.

19 hours ago, CWARD said:

I’ve never known a dealer to actually service the brakes as described above, most independents don’t either due to the time involved. If you’re lucky when they change the pads they may clean up the caliper and pins but most will leave it until the caliper sizes up as it’s cheaper for the owner. Many owners baulk at the price of a fluid change, a caliper service and they’d have kittens. 

Prestige and high performance  models will probably get a proper strip and clean other than that it’s the domain of the home mechanic who doesn’t have to worry about overheads and labour charges. 

High performance vehicles also tend to have multi-piston fixed calipers rather than the single-piston floating caliper design used on more mundane models, so the issue of seized slide pins never comes up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Replacing individual calipers is fine. I had one wheel bearing go a while back and asked the garage if it made sense to replace the bearings in pairs. He said not, and to be fair the other side is still fine.

I've maybe bounced up or off a kerb in the past, enough to shorten a single bearings life, but I have to admit, my logic would suggest that if one has failed then the one on the other side should have been exposed to the same wear, but possibly not.

Coincidently (or not) I had a wheel bearing failure at the same time as the caliper.  Convinced that the caliper issue had caused the bearing to fail I replaced it (on the side which had got hot), noise still present. Replaced other side and all OK.

I'm happy to have replaced both though as (previously said) what has happened to one side could happen to the other, the car had just over 90k miles on at that point so maybe a little premature but should be good for the rest of the time I have the car.

• Like 1