Bridgestone Turanzas - Disappointing

Berisford

First time out in the wet yesterday and I'm left very disappointed by the Bridgestone Turanza T001's.

I'm what you might call a 'steady' driver and I've only got the 1.0TSI engine, without exaggerating, I found the tyre / tyres unable to grip when pulling away more times on that one city centre trip yesterday than I've experienced in the last few years on all other vehicles.

Pressures are 32, mileage 500 and whilst I appreciate they are 'summer' tyres the temperature yesterday was 12c.

Anyone else got these and having trouble or have I got a dodgy couple of fronts 'cause many of the reviews reckon the T0001's are very good in the wet?

Rubbish ECO tyres with plenty of not good reviews over the years.

@ 500 miles the tyres are still green though, ie not really scrubbed in.

Revvy little turbo engines need decent tyres, and especially on a not very light car IMO.

The rubbish that comes on VW Group supposed SUV's as OEM fitment is ridiculous. 

Edited by Skoffski

Rubbish tyres. I test drove a BMW X1 fitted with them, rubbish as well. I found them noisy and hard. 

Can’t wait for them to wear out. 

No doubt Skoda fit them because they are cheap.  

Tom

• Like 1

If they do them in Karoq sizes, I can recommend Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. Quiet and sure-footed (the weather recently has been -2°c). A huge improvement over the original fit Dunlop SP01's. 

On top of crap tyres Skoda’s 215/50 18 is not a size universally catered for. No Cross Climates, can’t find Efficientgrip Performance. 

I don’t think there are any all season tyres in this size. 

Simply not clever. 

Tom

Edited by Sanqhar
  • Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 09:25, Sanqhar said:

On top of crap tyres Skoda’s 215/50 18 is not a size universally catered for. No Cross Climates, can’t find Efficientgrip Performance. 

I don’t think there are any all season tyres in this size. 

Simply not clever. 

Tom

Yes it's a poor show. When I ordered my SE L 1.5 TSI, I asked for wheel / tyre options - answer "no can do".

Now I'm having to look at replacing the Bragas with 215/50 R18 Turanzas for Tritons so that I can fit Conti AllSeasonContact 215/55 R17.

Anyone got views on 215/55 R17  vs  225/55 R17? 

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Pirelli P7 on Superb MK3 was horrible as well. Threw  them away after few month. Waiting my Karoq to be delivered and I think its going to be the same Turanza or P7. I have spare set of 19" alloys with tyres on them - Nexen N'Fera SU1. Very good high performance tyres. Way better then P7 and mid range Conti.
If you would like something with SUV label  on them I can recommend probably best rain tyres I had - Uniroyal RainExpert 3 SUV. Installed on my wife's Tucson. Grip on wet is phenomenal. Even on Snow/Mud they are great.

• Like 1

The Turanza T001 is fairly old and replaced by the T001 evo (which has 4 grooves instead of 3).  But that is not available in the rare 215/50 R18 size

For 215/50 R18 would probably suggest Vredestein Ultrac Satin, or Falken Azensis FK510 or Nokian Wetproof

Personally not a fan of the Bridgestone T001 (our 2012 Roomster came with them, which shows their age), or Pirelli P7 (came fitted to my Arona)

Edited by SurreyJohn
Undo auto correct
  • Like 1

While on the topic on the Bridgestone Turanzas. Does everyone with the Bridgestones get noisy tyre rubber gripping the ground sounds when you crawl forwards/backwards (like parking) with the steering fully turned and locked?

Edited by SizzlingPotato

41 minutes ago, SizzlingPotato said:

While on the topic on the Bridgestone Turanzas. Does everyone with the Bridgestones get noisy tyre rubber gripping the ground sounds when you crawl forwards/backwards (like parking) with the steering fully turned and locked?

Yes, however, I suspect that is the price to be paid for the tight turning circle offered by the Karoq?

12 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Yes, however, I suspect that is the price to be paid for the tight turning circle offered by the Karoq?

Haven't paid particular attention to the turning circle. The previous car I drove was longer so I thought anything shorter would be an improvement.

Berisford - Finally to gauge if it's normal behaviour. I was testing the steering wheel in a car park while crawling forwards. Full lock to the left then to the right etc. Ignoring the tyre sounds from the outside with windows up, the steering is smooth until it goes through the last small section of the full turn when I would feel some gentle vibrations fed back to me. Not sure if that is when the tyre noise starts feeding back to the steering wheel. Do you notice anything like that?

Edited by SizzlingPotato
Better description