1.6 TDI Good and Bad

Maybe getting a VAG product with the above engine will be Euro 6 emmisions. Is the 1.6 TDI as bad as some people say it is?

My annual mileage is 11,000 so should I be considering the 1.2 or 1.4 instead ?

Thanks

The engine is not bad, it is how it gets used. They are not City Car type use engines.

Are you looking at Euro 6 pre SCR so not with AdBlue system or new WLTP approved with SCR?

A 1.4tsi would be simply clever.  A 1.5tsi manual a bit risky.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

The engine is not bad, it is how it gets used. They are not City Car type use engines.

Are you looking at Euro 6 pre SCR so not with AdBlue system or new WLTP approved 

I would be looking at 65/16 plate ones my daily commute comprises of 5 miles b roads then 1 mile of town driving then 4 miles of B roads then 2 miles of town driving then 2 miles of town driving then 3 miles of town driving twice a day journey takes between 40 to 1hr each way.

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

So fuel consumption nearly the same with a petrol or a diesel and no regens with a petrol.

Same servicing costs, running costs, why get a diesel?

There's more diesels about at the price I can afford the nearest petrol one is over 100 miles away from me :( 

You will be driving the 1.6TDI for years, so if no petrols near then maybe worth getting on a bus / train.

Best look harder for petrols, plenty will be getting handed back at 3 years old.

Cars that were on Motability Lease will be at auction in the next months then at dealerships for sale.

Asking prices for TDI's are a wish and a dream, especially ones out of Manufacturers Warranty, so they can be cheaper then you might see when looking at adverts.

Personally i would not touch with someone else's barge pole.

Cant wait until my 2016 2.0 TDI / SCR piece of crap is handed back.

it does 45-55 mpg on runs, and 20 mpg in town on short trips and is reggening all the time in town use.

DPF blocked light on for 4 days now.

Edited by Skoffski

1 hour ago, SKOD said:

Maybe getting a VAG product with the above engine will be Euro 6 emmisions. Is the 1.6 TDI as bad as some people say it is?

My annual mileage is 11,000 so should I be considering the 1.2 or 1.4 instead ?

Thanks

Thought bout the 1 liter at all?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKOD said:

I would be looking at 65/16 plate ones my daily commute comprises of 5 miles b roads then 1 mile of town driving then 4 miles of B roads then 2 miles of town driving then 2 miles of town driving then 3 miles of town driving twice a day journey takes between 40 to 1hr each way.

As a driver of diesels, with that driving I would say go petrol as the tax regime around diesels isn’t clear and the fuel costs more.

Add a DPF and potential issues as your drive isn’t long steady state drives, and I don’t think it’s worth it.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

With that annual mileage petrol all the way imho.

You're not going to get the benefit of diesel unless you can get up to cruising speed and stay there for some time. A quick calculation for your mileage shows a saving of £167 per annum, based on 50mpg diesel and 40mpg petrol. In reality the figures may be closer than that based on newer, more efficient petrol engines.

You really have to be doing high mileage per annum for diesel to make sense. I don't think I'd buy a diesel again, even though my annual mileage is 25,000.

I have had an early mark 3 Octavia with the 1.6 diesel engine, it isn't perfect but it is far from awful either, hardly ever got less than 50mpg out of it and on a longer drive high 60's mpg was very possible, a lot of my driving with that car was shortish ten to fifteen minutes mixed town and country, not too many regenerations that I noticed. Main issue I'd say is that manual versions only have five speed gear boxes with gear ratios too far apart, third gear is nearer fourth in most cars and fourth and fifth nearer fifth and sixth as overdrive gears. Engine underpowered about town but fabulous on motorways etc at speeds say 50mph and above when turbo actually starts to work, you won't feel much effect at lower speeds in town driving.

Edited by AllanDJ

I have the 1.4 150 bhp tsi as a taxi, just coming up to 70K miles in just over 17 months, average fuel 35 to 55  mpg  , costs so far £28 for a sensor, car was out of warranty, 

Edited by skippy41
  • Like 3

On 18/03/2019 at 07:21, SKOD said:

We have a 1.2TSi and a 1.6TDi.

For that mileage and driving I'd be taking our TSi.

I’ve had a 1.6 tdi and it was ok, but I wouldn’t go back from my 1.4 tsi. For the minimal mpg gains that the diesel gives, the petrols are quieter, and smoother than than the 1.6 tdi and still decent on fuel.

The fact is the dpf regens harm the overall average mpg. Timing belt and water pump cost more and need doing more regularly, long term you’ve got potential egr, dpf and dual mass flywheel issues. In order to meet legislation Diesels have just become too complicated for what they do.

Try a 1.0 tsi if you’re not not doing much mileage, they’re surprisingly good.

Edited by classic

One thing to add.

Most modern small capacity petrol engines are very efficient at low throttle input but are less efficient than the old NA engines at higher input. Diesels are not as pronounced in this effect.

So basically if you live in a hilly area and have a heavy right foot, you'll probably be disappointed with a modern small turbo petrol's economy.  For example my wife's 1.6 tdi golf does ~55mpg when the 1.2 tsi golf we had (due to a deer!) could barely manage 40mpg on the same runs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/03/2019 at 08:44, AllanDJ said:

I have had an early mark 3 Octavia with the 1.6 diesel engine, it isn't perfect but it is far from awful either, hardly ever got less than 50mpg out of it and on a longer drive high 60's mpg was very possible, a lot of my driving with that car was shortish ten to fifteen minutes mixed town and country, not too many regenerations that I noticed. Main issue I'd say is that manual versions only have five speed gear boxes with gear ratios too far apart, third gear is nearer fourth in most cars and fourth and fifth nearer fifth and sixth as overdrive gears. Engine underpowered about town but fabulous on motorways etc at speeds say 50mph and above when turbo actually starts to work, you won't feel much effect at lower speeds in town driving.

Pretty much exactly the same as me.  I've done 4k miles in 4 weeks (my average is not normally quite that high) and it's been great, however, were it not for the mileage I do I would've bought petrol (was considering a Focus Ecoboost as an option, but settled on the Skoda).

I've got a 15-plate 1.6 TDI GreenLine. It'll do 55+mpg in local running because I'm a nerd when it comes to playing the fuel economy game, and on a motorway run (70+) it easily tops 70mpg. Tall gearing means it's way below 2000rpm at 70mph. My commute is 75 miles a day with a large amount of motorway so it works for me.

For you, even as pleased as I am with the GL's fuel economy, I'd definitely recommend petrol. Beware the heavy right foot, though, as has been mentioned above. Tickle the throttle and you'll see decent returns. Don't, and you won't.

7 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@No.733

If one week you do just 55 miles, so for 7 days you just did 8 miles locally each day,

4 miles from cold start and 4 miles back from a cold start would it only need 4.546 litres brim to brim?

Yeah, it would, not that I'd use this car like that. Local running to a town five-ish miles (had to Google Maps that and correct my guess) from where I live, including 8 or 9 roundabouts, a couple of short 60-70mph stretches (sub-1-mile) and usually a few short queues has been bringing up 58mpg on the computer when I'm back on my driveway. I'm confident that a pump-to-pump test would show at least 55. I'm pleased with that, but as I say, I bought it to eat motorway miles, not potter around town.

P.S. I should qualify that I used to test cars as a journalist week-in, week-out and I know how to maximise fuel economy. :)

Edited by No.733

To me using locally means just as i asked about.

My 2016 2.0 TDI SCR DSG will do 45 mpg easily, over 50 mpg regularly on runs.   63 litres can do 630 miles, and sometimes 730 miles.

But one week of 55 miles used as i described it will need 9 litres of fuel brim to brim.  A the DPF light will be on after 5 days.

Hypermileing is easy out and about,

not easy 'driving locally' if the engine oil is not getting even to 50*oC, and the coolant maybe just getting to 90*oC indicated.

Taxis/ Private Hire cars can sometimes do great MPG because the engine is staying hot, and even if sitting stationary ticking over lots 

it all works out with the averages.

MPG is after all how many miles driven, but needs to take into account how long an engine might be running and covering no miles, 

as a Taxi sitting waiting to go someplace with the engine fired up can be used.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

On 24/04/2019 at 16:55, lol-lol said:

Poor in manual car.

Pretty good when matched to 7 speed DSG.

Exactly my thoughts & not under powered in town driving as AllanDJ says.