The Official Brexit Thread - The Transition Period.

john999boy

15 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

They probably have a vote in the morning to decide Tea or Coffee for breakfast. Can feel Churchill rolling over in his grave. Core-Bin Laden wants more voting on the same 4 options on Wednesday evening. Must have plans to spend the overtime payments on a trip to Palestine to write some good luck message on a rocket.:yawn:

Churchill was pro Europe as is his Grandson Nicholas Soames. The rest of your post is waffle that avoids my question. Avoidance is a trait of yours I've come to expect though as whenever faced with a tough question you either deflect or turn to whataboutery. Don't you.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Can feel Churchill rolling over in his grave. 

Why? The EU as it is, is exactly what Churchill supported. He'd be rolling in his grave that people want to undo his work in unifying Europe to prevent any reoccurrence of the atrocities ever again 

43 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

So, if they came to an agreement to revoke A50 or to allow a second referendum would you still call them 'spineless'? 
They'd have come to a decision that would have taken guts, surely. Or would they then, in your eyes, be 'traitors'?

This is the democracy they wanted so much. 

So they need to suck it up and enjoy what however many people voted for. 

I wish someone would be able to remind me how many votes it was again :D

20 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

He's just confirming that Melton Mowbray Pies will be banned from all EU canteens after 22nd May.:giggle:

Actually part of our leaving Europe is we lose regional protection. 

So anyone elsewhere in Europe can make Cornish Pasties, Melton Mowbray pies etc etc and cut off our exports of these protected foods. 

Because leavers want to leave the parts of the EU which contain those protections as part of the bridge burning 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Churchill was pro Europe as is his Grandson Nicholas Soames. The rest of your post is waffle that avoids my question. Avoidance is a trait of yours I've come to expect though as whenever faced with a tough question you either deflect or turn to whataboutery. Don't you.

At least xman and myself are happy and contented which is more important than answering stupid questions.:inlove:

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

So, if they came to an agreement to revoke A50 or to allow a second referendum would you still call them 'spineless'? 
They'd have come to a decision that would have taken guts, surely. Or would they then, in your eyes, be 'traitors'?

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

At least xman and myself are happy and contented which is more important than answering stupid questions.:inlove:

It's not a stupid question. It's a difficult one for you to answer. 
What's the phrase again? Ah yes; 'there's no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers'.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Your memes which lack any debate either for or against brexit don't really bring anything of value to the discussion.
I'd hope @john999boy would agree. 

As this thread is in RH I’d expect people to act accordingly so it looks like I’m siding with @Lee01 on this one.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Some facts on the UK Economy. Crude oil per barrel 1st June 2018 $66. Currently trading at just under $62 as of 1st April 2019.

Inflation for the last 3 months (March figures available April 17th 2019). Dec 2018 2.0%,  Jan 2019 1.8%,  Feb 2019 1.8%.

Unemployment down from 4.0% to current 3.9%. 222,000 new jobs created in the last 3 months. Makes very depressing reading.:nerd:

12 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Gotta laugh at the sheer hypocrisy of some people. One minute they're slating Germany and how they want to 'rule Europe by the back door' and the next they're championing Germany for possibly saving the jobs of the very people who voted to lose their jobs.
And the Germans are the baddies? Don't make me laugh..........

And the fact that you're the one saying the UK is doomed, and here we have a German company showing interest in dealing with the UK and using UK workers to create EU products.......

Post Brexit.

• Like 1

It is not working out well with German Manufacturers or even Canadian or South Korean investing in Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia etc for cheap skilled labour because they thought it was a cunning stunt,

now there is a labour shortages of these skilled workers and then the people are not stupid in those countries and are demanding fair pay and conditions.

The Governments and Unions are not stupid either, they welcomed in the Corporations, took the money and knew that once the Billions were coming in they could bend the Corporations over a barrel.

So good the EU & WTO rules and agreements, it sorts the men from the boys when it comes to bullying the bullies.

It takes a very stupid type of CEO / Management board that go and invest heavily in their future manufacturing in 'land locked countries', 

so no coast and all transport needs to be by Rail, Road or Air or by rivers / canals.

Especially stupid when energy needs transporting across land boarders in areas where neighbouring countries governments are not that stable.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

This topic is going down the drain like every other topic about Brexit. I see a lot of division, attacks, anger, stubbornness, and a lot of passivity when it comes to DO something.

It is very clear why the EU is fed up with that attitude and endless delays. It is only a matter of days till the EU will say "You had enough time to pass a deal agreed with us. The time is up. It is a NO DEAL from today. Good bye."

Agree, and frankly, I hope that the no-deal goes through. It'll be tough, but it'll be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Agree, and frankly, I hope that the no-deal goes through. It'll be tough, but it'll be done.

yup, according to farmers it will kill off most of the farming sector and it will devastate our fishing exports but hey, who cares, neither of us works in either of those industries do we?

• Like 2

Just now, john999boy said:

Done maybe, but done badly isn't really beneficial is it! :sweat:

But done. I'm open to suggestions, at 12 days to go, what would be the most likely scenario from here?

I'm not going to pin my hopes on any sweet deal being done in the next few days. Let's just 'man-up' and crack on with it. The EU are prepared, and so are we. It's not the best, but it's where we are.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

I hope that the no-deal goes through.

Goes through by who? The British parliament? Never in a million years. They are the ultimate image of division and indecisiveness in the population of the UK.

1 minute ago, john999boy said:

Done maybe, but done badly isn't really beneficial is it! :sweat:

Well yeah, but that happens when incompetent and corrupt people rule for you. Change the system from the roots. Cut the gangrene and start fresh with a healthy body.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, domhnall said:

yup, according to farmers it will kill off most of the farming sector and it will devastate our fishing exports but hey, who cares, neither of us works in either of those industries do we?

It'll devastate our fishing exports? Well, maybe because the EU want to help themselves to our fisheries!

Oh, but it's a reciprocal arrangement, so we can help ourselves to theirs. 512 milllion people vs 66 million. That's fair, right?

But can you outline in detail how the farming sector will be mostly 'killed off'? That's really strange. How?

Edited by Skoda_newby
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RicardoM said:

Goes through by who? The British parliament? Never in a million years. They are the ultimate image of division and indecisiveness in the population of the UK.

Well yeah, but that happens when incompetent and corrupt people rule for you. Change the system from the roots. Cut the gangrene and start fresh with a healthy body.

Of course the Parliament won't make the decision - they're pathetic, but it'll be made for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skoda_newby said:

But can you outline in detail how the farming sector will be mostly 'killed off'? That's really strange. How?

Go and read about sanitary and phytosanitary checks and also the requirement for the approval process required for non EU countries to import food of animal origin - which I believe the UK has not started to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trundlenut said:

Go and read about sanitary and phytosanitary checks and also the requirement for the approval process required for non EU countries to import food of animal origin - which I believe the UK has not started to do.

Please.... you're saying that the UK has never imported animal products as food from a non-EU location? Or we have never sold animal products as food to non-EU locations?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicardoM said:

This topic is going down the drain like every other topic about Brexit. I see a lot of division, attacks, anger, stubbornness, and a lot of passivity when it comes to DO something.

It is very clear why the EU is fed up with that attitude and endless delays. It is only a matter of days till the EU will say "You had enough time to pass a deal agreed with us. The time is up. It is a NO DEAL from today. Good bye."

I couldn't disagree more.  It's just a good old healthy debate amongst people with differing views.  It's good to see a number of people actually engaged with what is going on and expressing their opinions.  Anyone that doesn't like it doesn't have to participate.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Please.... you're saying that the UK has never imported animal products as food from a non-EU location? Or we have never sold animal products as food to non-EU locations?

Strangely enough the UK has never exported stuff to the EU as a non member no.  Why would the rules on how we export food to a country that isn't the EU be identical to the rules that apply to importing to the EU?  If that was the case then everyone would have the same rules and the EU would be irrelevant.  As an importer we are not subject to the rules the exporters are and as the EU do the approval process through the European Commission, Directorate General for Health and Food Safety which is based in Ireland we haven't had to do very much.  When we leave we won't be a member anymore, remember that was the point.  So we need to register, but to do that we need not be a member of the EU, so we can't do it until we leave and it will probably takes about 6 months to go through the process.  that wouldn't be so much of a problem if we had a transition period as it gives us time to sort it out.  Also we need to have all of the appropriate regulatory bodies in place to oversee things and guess what, we are little behind on that.

The issue is that as a member of the EU we can't be a non member of the EU.  When we leave we will no longer be members and as shocking as this may sound the rules that apply to non member states will apply to the UK as a non member state.

As a fun aside the SPS requirements apply to wooden pallets, so not just food, anything on a wooden pallet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, domhnall said:

Increased import tariffs on "protected" meat products e.g. Beef will help UK farmers through better prices at market

Or are you talking about EU farming subsidies which we fund anyway and gets handed out mainly to wealthy land owners in the UK, Prince Charles and Dyson to name just two.

Maybe the UK can concentrate on food self sufficiency instead of funding French tobacco producers and Billionaires.

And how does regaining control of our territorial fishing waters devastate it? 

• Like 1