1st service notification...

RoDM

Recieved a call from my Skoda dealership today to notify me that my Karoq  Edition was due its 1st service, and asked what day would be suitable after 5th May? 

I said "any day just let me know when it would suit and I'd bring it in the day before and collect it at the close of the day..."

So the receptionist said she would call me back later with the time and date... After 15 mins she called me back again and asked me "what the mileage was ?" I resported " Oh about 4500 miles" 

To which the reply came as a shock... Oh well she said "your vehicle doesn't require a service till it's done over 10,000 miles, so you'll have to wait till next year"

My main question is surely an oil change and filter change is required and also connecting it up to the computer to check for software updates....

I look forward to any updates, on whether I should just accept their recommendations on waiting another year or insisting they do a proper service on the vehicle...

RodM

Which Dealership Group?   Is it PARKS?

I would not accept her recommendations if her job is calling people and knowing nothing other than phone numbers.

What does the car show if you look at the Service Indicator?

Was your cars service reset from it was delivered to the dealership from Variable so 24 months or 18,000-20,000 miles at the PDI

to Fixed and 372 days / 10,000 miles?

?

Do you have a Service Plan for Fixed Service intervals?

Or are you paying for any services as the car goes in?     I would not pay the £169 they might want for a 1st Service.

I would want a 12 month old car even with a low mileage inspected if you are not doing checks.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

This is the Fixed Price Servicing on cars 3-10 years old.

I would not pay this for a first service which will be a Oil / Filter service at 12 months and look sees.

Screenshot 2019-04-04 at 16.46.02.png

Screenshot 2019-04-04 at 16.46.24.png

Edited by Skoffski

16 hours ago, RoDM said:

Recieved a call from my Skoda dealership today to notify me that my Karoq  Edition was due its 1st service, and asked what day would be suitable after 5th May? 

I said "any day just let me know when it would suit and I'd bring it in the day before and collect it at the close of the day..."

So the receptionist said she would call me back later with the time and date... After 15 mins she called me back again and asked me "what the mileage was ?" I resported " Oh about 4500 miles" 

To which the reply came as a shock... Oh well she said "your vehicle doesn't require a service till it's done over 10,000 miles, so you'll have to wait till next year"

My main question is surely an oil change and filter change is required and also connecting it up to the computer to check for software updates....

I look forward to any updates, on whether I should just accept their recommendations on waiting another year or insisting they do a proper service on the vehicle...

RodM

I had a call as well and I’ve booked in for the 1 year service, I’ve done less than 6000 miles.

Funnily enough the next day the service warning popped up on the dash.

Its 12 months or 10000 miles, whichever comes first I believe.

On 06/04/2019 at 12:46, TheRoq said:

I had a call as well and I’ve booked in for the 1 year service, I’ve done less than 6000 miles.

Funnily enough the next day the service warning popped up on the dash.

Its 12 months or 10000 miles, whichever comes first I believe.

Yeah just noticed mine says 26 days till oil and filter service check due... so I'll be contacting them on Monday to arrange something.... 

• 3 weeks later...

My Karoq is around 11 months old now and just coming up to 10k miles, but I'm mystified by what it says in the service section of the infotainment system...  It says my next oil change is due in 405 days or 9000 miles, which seems to me to be pushing it even for fully synthetic long life oil!  I'm going to change mine now, as in my 30+ years of diesel ownership I don't think I've ever asked more than 10k from my oil.

Yours is obviously set on the variable service

Changing the oil and filter will not cause harm.. but is probably not needed.

My last 4 VW have had variable service and oil change at 18K miles and 36K miles...  no issues.

Thanks Simon.  I'll go ahead and change it anyway I think - for peace of mind as I tend to keep my cars a long time so I will want to get a good high mileage out of it.  All I need to do now is track down where the filter is - on first inspection it looks pretty well hidden!

1 hour ago, JonCowdock said:

I'll go ahead and change it anyway I think - for peace of mind as I tend to keep my cars a long time so I will want to get a good high mileage out of it.

That's what I would do - the variable servicing is mainly for fleet and lease cars banging up and down the motorway where they want the lowest costs possible. And usually say goodbye to the car after 2 to 3 years. 

I would still suggest to use the correct long life VW grade oil (be careful here) and also an OE filter.

Yes they seem to put the filters in inaccessible places.

Not sure on 2.0 TDi as garage looks after mine - but on my daughters 1.6 - filter is a plastic / paper inside plastic housing that has nut on back and a screw thread with orings - easy to change - just messy..

The Oil for TDI's is Long Life. 

VW504 / 507 Full Synthetic Long Life, 5w 30.    Or now they leave the factory with VW 508/509 so 0w 20 FS LL.

There is not another spec to use for Fixed Servicing,

you are just not doing the Variable / Flexible Service Interval.

Petrols / TSI are VW504 / 507  or now VW508 /509. Fixed or Flexible Servicing.

But if someone wanted could still us VW 502 so 5w 40 Full Synthetic for Fixed Service Intervals.

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 16.21.15.png

It was exactly that. 

See

'The use of VW504 oil instead of VW508 can result in a slight deterioration in the emissions values'.

So about WLTP results for Certification / Approval

, emissions and economy when the cars retested possibly as Imported to countries like the UK when still Un-Registered.

No more need to do the 'cheat' of Diesel in the Engine oil.   Not that Skoda would do that, not to say VW, SEAT or AUDI never did.

4 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

So, the logical question seems to be: will the use of VW504 oil prolong engine life compared to using VW508?

I don't know but seeing as it's somewhat cheaper and my 3 score and 5 mindset doesn't like the sound of 0 - 20sae I'm going with it for a 'kerbside motors' intermediate 3000 mile change........:biggrin:

On 25/04/2019 at 22:56, JonCowdock said:

Thanks Simon.  I'll go ahead and change it anyway I think - for peace of mind as I tend to keep my cars a long time so I will want to get a good high mileage out of it.  All I need to do now is track down where the filter is - on first inspection it looks pretty well hidden!

Wont that invalidate the warranty?

No - because he is doing a service inbetween the car telling him the service is needed.

As long as the service that is required and shown by the onboard computer is carried out by a dealer all is good.....

BUT... as I say I would suggest he uses the correct LL oil and OE filter.... so come service time the dealer can not tell its already had a service..

9 minutes ago, SimonAudi said:

.... so come service time the dealer can not tell its already had a service..

I'm thinking you might be giving 'main dealers' more credit than I do........

I hear you... but despite many having just wage slaves with not much between their ears... there are also some good... well informed tech's too...  and you never know....

Read the Manufacturers Warranty T&C's.

Read about Servicing to Manufacturers Guidelines.  OME Fluids, Parts etc.

Pity the Manufacturer, VW Group / VW, Audi, Skoda, SEAT is not so clear with Guidelines or Schedules in the form of Service Books or Owners Manuals.

Pity that Service Plans, and even Full Main Dealer Service Histories do not mean that Main Dealers serviced to the 'Manufacturers Guidelines' and 

the vehicle might not have had the DSG, Haldex or Brake Fluid changed to the Manufacturers Guidelines.

Over servicing really really should not be an issue considering how 'Franchised / Approved Repairers / Main Dealerships might be 'not doing enough', 

including missing the Body Checks for the 'Paint / Corrosion Warranty' and putting on the system.

Pity the DSG or Halex Services are not always correctly done and the Dealership Techs / Fitters might not change filters, and even accept there are filters to be changed with some vehicles.

Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 11.23.37.png

Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 11.23.59.png

Edited by Skoffski

Thanks everyone.  Job done.  I used Castrol Edge 5w-30 fully synthetic long life oil, which meets all their specified standards, OEM (VAG) filter and seals, and also replaced the sump plug as specified in the Skoda maintenance manual.  Oddly, the washer, which I am used to replacing on other vehicles, comes fitted to the sump plug and you can't get it off so have to replace the whole thing.  Seems a but of a wasteful design!  Staff at the local dealer didn't seem at all phased by me doing the job myself - even gave me a few tips to help avoid some problems they have had when doing the job.  I'm happier with nice clean oil in now to see me through to the first official service point :)

• Like 1