39000km

Has had under warranty

2 front calipers and pads

Boot door lock

2 front shocks

2 front wheel bearings

Disappointed ?

Yes

Car remains a very capable super efficent kitchen appliance.

Should it ever actually "break down "

I'll burn the f@#king thing

(That is tongue in cheek for the literal amongst us,I've trying to convey a sentiment).

Another Skoda ?

No

4 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Utter boll@#ks

I would expect reliablity from any brand,I've owned/worked on enough of them to know

Is your Casio gonna blow up cos it  doesn't say Rolex ?

Budget is attained (or rather should be) via design,materials,fit and finish,complexity or lack thereof , labour costs,older tech that has recouped it's investment etc etc.

Re your fiat 500, that's looking no worse than this skoda,I actually forgot to mention it's has two new front calipers and pads also cos the originals were clattering like good things.

no, there are cheap brands and premium brands, otherwise what would be the point in VAG having 4 different levels of brands? same with the wife's current Hyundai i20, built to a cost, 2 years old and all 4 wheels corroded, rust on car from bad manufacturing, I could think of other things too but can't be bothered! it's a cheap car and only built to last a few years..

9 minutes ago, marko said:

no, there are cheap brands and premium brands, otherwise what would be the point in VAG having 4 different levels of brands? same with the wife's current Hyundai i20, built to a cost, 2 years old and all 4 wheels corroded, rust on car from bad manufacturing, I could think of other things too but can't be bothered! it's a cheap car and only built to last a few years..

Read the post, reliability should be inherent regardless of price point,"quality " is what you should be paying for with your premium brand,re your Hyundai it won't break/consume a heap of very long life consumables in no time flat.

All brands, even premium brands, build "Friday specials" - nobody knows 100% why but the fact that people build them must be a factor? And maybe if a parts delivery is delayed then some parts are "found in a corner" that may not be in "as new" condition when fitted on the production line?

@181ce it sounds to me like you have been unlucky enough to get one such "Friday special". In the 40 years I've owned cars I've had a couple of them :thumbdown: - one in the space of 18 months "eat" 3 batteries and 4 exhausts (it wasn't a Skoda).

Sadly in this life this happens, all you can do is get it fixed and move on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Read the post, reliability should be inherent regardless of price point,"quality " is what you should be paying for with your premium brand,re your Hyundai it won't break/consume a heap of very long life consumables in no time flat.

"should" have reliability in anything these days, yeah. a pile of quality parts doesn't always mean a perfect end product, it's how it's all screwed together, I know they share a lot of components but the Audi's are ridiculously screwed together well (I know I've worked on enough).

with you having so many issues on the front end I do wonder what the state of your roads are like you drive on? it's a lot of miles in 1 year so you get about a bit!

28 minutes ago, marko said:

"should" have reliability in anything these days, yeah. a pile of quality parts doesn't always mean a perfect end product, it's how it's all screwed together, I know they share a lot of components but the Audi's are ridiculously screwed together well (I know I've worked on enough).

with you having so many issues on the front end I do wonder what the state of your roads are like you drive on? it's a lot of miles in 1 year so you get about a bit!

Yes I do get about a bit,most of my roads aren't great but all these factors haven't changed across the last 4 cars I've owned.

If I wasn't determined to get a second electric car,I would happily go back to my tried and trusted scheme a buy /maintain a secondhand car myself.

Regardless of what anybody tells me this car has been a dissapoinment.

Unfortunately I think this is a continuing trend that's only going to become worse.

Think e-class Merc ( w210)  that nearly buried mercedes reputation as the ultimate expression of the fallout from cost cutting.

I guess ultimately it's all an expression of the throwaway society we live in.

for me the biggest disappointment is still the front light arrangement and lack of engine/transmission choices in the current Octavia line up, that's the only thing putting me off buying another Skoda! in fact the later is a problem right across the VAG range, they struggle to maintain 2-0TSi production for more than 5 minutes and offer lower powered units instead.

Ofc you are unhappy with your current car. I would as well.

Last car was a Volvo V50, did an avg of 48000 km/year had it for 8 years, Only did service on it. And I used it everywhere, even on my trips to the forest for picking mushrooms and berries. So it did a few hundred km on very bad trails/surfaces every year, still not an issue with the car.

Current Skoda costed me 100k more than the Volvo, do I expect the same easy life with this car as my previous? Definitely.

Both cars were bought new

5 hours ago, marko said:

at the end of the day Skoda is the budget brand from VAG so I would expect things to fail faster? 

Why when the parts are shared?

Golf will have the same wheel bearings as Octavia.

Engines and gearboxes come from exactly the same production line.

Certainly some of the common DSG faults are shared across the brands.

The budget side comes from the quality of the interiors, the fitting of cheaper suspension components, the lack of sound insulation.

The engineering and components are shared.

9 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The budget side comes from the quality of the interiors, the fitting of cheaper suspension components, the lack of sound insulation.

they would have you believe yes.. a car is not a pile of parts but the end sum of how it's put together.

personally I've never had a problem with the 3 Octavias I've had over 10+ years, my last one had a front wheel bearing changed under warranty at 9k miles but there was nothing wrong with it, the dealer was scamming at it's 1st MOT!

On 26/04/2019 at 19:29, Golfmk56 said:

Seems everyone is missing the point.  There will be many many Skoda owners who've happily covered 39000 miles error free

And still on the very same set of front tyres that their car came out of the factory with........

:notme:

7 hours ago, marko said:

Don't UK Hyundai's have a 5 year warranty?

• Like 1

Hyundai built in the Czech Republic and 5 year warranty and the sister brand cars from KIA in Slovakia get a 7 year warranty.

Maybe more Fridays in a week in the Czech Republic or just less attention to detail, especially in the Skoda Factory where those that can not get a job at the Hyundai factory work.

Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 17.13.18.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Just by way of comparison,I have a 35 year old example of reputedly the worst car ever built ie a range rover with 275k miles on it since I stuck a very 2nd hand 200tdi in it 12 years and 10k miles ago it has had the following.

Door lock return springsx4

A heater motor

A complete exhaust

A radiator

A battery

An alternator

Transmission brake ,brake shoes.

All of the above 35years old,except the battery,that had a 2003 label on it,the alternator was circa 1990

On 27/04/2019 at 12:28, logiclee said:

Yep agree.

Similar mileage to my wheel bearing failures and DSG issues

MQB maybe a technical marvel but the quest for lightness and cost cutting have been taken too far. For me it isn't just the issues people are having it's the light tinny doors, the ride and noise, the torsion beam suspension. The Mk2 felt an upgrade in quality over the Mk1, the Mk3 has the upgrade in technology but feels a cheaper build.

Totally agree. At this time my octavia 3 has done 32000. Such failings  would be wholly  unacceptable. I always reckon on at least 100000 before any significant replacements,  including in most cases , brakes on the cars i have owned over many years. My son has my old mk1 with 170000 on the clock and it is still pretty much original including the clutch.  Other than 'pilot' error, such premiture wear is down to poor quality.

On 26/04/2019 at 19:29, Golfmk56 said:

Seems everyone is missing the point.  There will be many many Skoda owners who've happily covered 39000 miles error free, there will be others who've had far worse problems that shocks and wheel bearings.  So call your Skoda a ****box all you want but what about telling us what car you're going to replace it with, because the second you do that, I'll happily send you examples of what some owners think what a  ****box that car that is.

Catastophically bad and decsribing a car that's covered 39000km as new? Good luck arguing that one. (Sounds a bit drama queen if you don't mind me saying).  But that aside I don't understand that sentance.  What age is your car - are you saying it's 10 years old?

39k km is circa 24k miles  nad i for one woul;d consider all the issues unacceptable in a car with that mileage , and in particular if still under warranty , no matter the manufacturer , yes faulty parts , but does make 1 wonder whats going to fail next or just after warranty ends . 

22 minutes ago, johnmb said:

, but does make 1 wonder whats going to fail next or just after warranty ends . 

Which is why I sold mine, before the warranty ended.

Nearly £6.5k in warranty repairs.

I think this whole Skoda Audi quality thing is carp. Yes the dash/trim is nicer, but Audi tend to be less reliable as they get the new toys to beta test.

personally, I think designed in quality has long since gone from VW group and they’re living off an old reputation.

if everything in life was reliable as a golf... I dread to think.

However, the mk3 for me has had annoying cost savings that have been fixed. What it hasn’t been is a bad car. Mine has so far been a very comfortable mile eater. It’s been brilliant at eating up the motorway miles.

Basically I think all VW group cars are overpriced, but I managed to negotiate a sensible price when I was looking at a superb. As always, if the price looks silly, don’t pay it.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 11:52, logiclee said:

A lot of parts are NOT shared! That's the problem. Most of trim and mechanical parts are made in Czech. 

There is a world of difference between Audi parts and Skoda parts. I had an A6 along side my VRs and absolutely everything on the Audi was many times better. Your in cuckoo land if you think not. Powertrain parts are the main shared items. That is why Skodas are cheaper, the sum of the parts are far cheaper, much the same as Skodas always were. The Dacia of VW group! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

A lot of parts are NOT shared! That's the problem. Most of trim and mechanical parts are made in Czech. 

There is a world of difference between Audi parts and Skoda parts. I had an A6 along side my VRs and absolutely everything on the Audi was many times better. Your in cuckoo land if you think not. Powertrain parts are the main shared items. That is why Skodas are cheaper, the sum of the parts are far cheaper, much the same as Skodas always were. The Dacia of VW group! 

You are comparing a longitudinal platform that is bespoke to Audi with an Octavia.

For Audi's longitudinal platforms nearly everything is Audi.

If you are looking at MQB cars such as Audi A3, Golf, Octavia then yes the majority of the mechanical parts are shared and that's why the most common faults are seen across the brands and so are the recalls. DSG issues, wheel bearing issues, water pump issues etc.

If you buy a small TSi DSG A3 then it's more than likely the drive train is Czech made.

Of course the body panels and interior trim are bespoke to the brands but the whole setup of MQB is to reduce costs by having central manufacturing plants to share parts across the brands.

To be honest that may be the issue, Skoda topped reliability and customer satisfaction surveys before MQB.

59 minutes ago, logiclee said:

You are comparing a longitudinal platform that is bespoke to Audi with an Octavia.

For Audi's longitudinal platforms nearly everything is Audi.

If you are looking at MQB cars such as Audi A3, Golf, Octavia then yes the majority of the mechanical parts are shared and that's why the most common faults are seen across the brands and so are the recalls. DSG issues, wheel bearing issues, water pump issues etc.

If you buy a small TSi DSG A3 then it's more than likely the drive train is Czech made.

Of course the body panels and interior trim are bespoke to the brands but the whole setup of MQB is to reduce costs by having central manufacturing plants to share parts across the brands.

To be honest that may be the issue, Skoda topped reliability and customer satisfaction surveys before MQB.

Not really, I’m comparing the product, there’s a very good reason Audi and VW cost more than Skoda. The quality is far better. The mirror that dropped off my car could only be sourced from Skoda, it was expensive Czech made and Skoda (only) branded  

I had 3 Audi’s on the trot, none went back under warranty, the Skoda.... numerous times. My wifes Focus ST hasn’t been back either nor the BMW.

Audi's are not fault free.  Have many of the same issues. Some have crap discs / calipers, springs / dampers.

Excessive Oil user TFSI's just the same as a TSI,

and a s-tronic with the same issues as a DSG.  Fancy names or adding a 'F' fools some. 

The comfy interior is nice to sit in while waiting for Audi Assistance which is just as busy as VW, Skoda or SEAT Assistance.

Maybe more so.

Euro 5 TDI Defeat Devices just the same, and then VW, Audi & SEAT were caught with the Implausible / irregular C02 g/km tested Euro 6 Petrol & Diesels were as Skoda had been a bit more careful.

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 13.37.50.png

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 13.38.28.png

Edited by Skoffski

A friend needed a window switch on his 4 year old Boxter. Porsche dealer gave him VW part number to buy as same part but far cheaper from VW. Would be very surprised if things like wheel bearings were different across all VW brands. 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 15:20, 181ce said:

To clarify, bought it new on PCP,

I don't care that I can f@#k it back an get it fixed for nowt for the warranty term,they're obviously fitting crap components,again it's 24k MILES,it's never been abused,it doesn't live in arduous conditions,it's disappointing END OF,point is it's getting replaced by a milk float at PCP end,now consider that there may be a Skoda electric option by then I won't be their guinea pig ,new to the electric game and with this predeliction for penny pinching ?

No thanks

Seem to remember you bragging about ragging your 1 litre buzz box to 100kph in under 10 seconds so either you were lying about not abusing it or you were joking about how impressed you were with it's incredible performance. Repeatedly testing a cars 0-100kph time will shag dampers and wheel bearings. 2,000 miles per month is alot. My car has done under 22,000 miles in 20 months with not a single fault and the components on my Vrs have been thoroughly pushed to the limit and beyond.:thinking: