Has anyone actually removed the stop start

This graph seems to show temperature consistently rising over the last 150 years, increasing faster as CO2 ppm increases faster,

2002741402_co2measurements.thumb.jpeg.d49732dc98ab358c9d872a2d06ffa0cb.jpeg

Using your graph, from 1880 to 1910 temps go down CO2 goes UP, from 1945 to 1978 temps go Down CO2 goes UP, from about 2010 to 2019 temps are FLAT (the pause) and CO2 goes UP.

Doesn`t look like CO2 is driving temps up.

Edited by Bobclive2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

What i do not miss is when it will not function, like in low ambient temp, difference between low ambient temps and interior heating setting, A/C on maybe, high demand on the battery etc.

Is there an extra  'not' in that?

I have edited the above after not having the system working for 18 months. No I'm not a  popcorn eating climate scientist.

What i do not like is when it will not function, like in low ambient temp, difference between low ambient temps and interior heating setting, A/C on maybe, high demand on the battery etc

Edited by gregoir
Popcorn

No. 

I do not miss why it does not function sometimes or fail to understand how it operates or should, i read the Owners Manual, and all the threads on the subject.

& yes i do miss Stop / Start when i want it to function like in a vehicle where someone disabled it so no Stop / Start and i dont want to mess with someone else's setting.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, gregoir said:

Is there an extra  'not' in that?

I have edited the above after not having the system working for 18 months. No I'm not a  popcorn eating climate scientist.

What i do not like is when it will not function, like in low ambient temp, difference between low ambient temps and interior heating setting, A/C on maybe, high demand on the battery etc

Not all popcorn eaters are scientists. Trust me I'm an expert.:nod:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bobclive2 said:

2002741402_co2measurements.thumb.jpeg.d49732dc98ab358c9d872a2d06ffa0cb.jpeg

Using your graph, from 1880 to 1910 temps go down CO2 goes UP, from 1945 to 1978 temps go Down CO2 goes UP, from about 2010 to 2019 temps are FLAT (the pause) and CO2 goes UP.

Doesn`t look like CO2 is driving temps up.

Look at the trend of the data. You link to an article which talks entirely about patterns in trends over time. I post data from the same source which the article’s author deliberately excluded, and you then argue against that data by ignoring the trends? You can’t have it both ways.

As I said earlier, typical denialism tactics: cherry pick what data you use and change arguments to suit what’s put in front of you. 

I’m done, this is a waste of my life and entirely fruitless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maffyou said:

Look at the trend of the data. You link to an article which talks entirely about patterns in trends over time. I post data from the same source which the article’s author deliberately excluded, and you then argue against that data by ignoring the trends? You can’t have it both ways.

As I said earlier, typical denialism tactics: cherry pick what data you use and change arguments to suit what’s put in front of you. 

I’m done, this is a waste of my life and entirely fruitless. 

:clap::whew::whew:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

lets increase the sample data...

Englander%20420kyr%20CO2-T-SL%20rev.jpg

do you see any patterns? its easy to manipulate data to fit any narrative.

Yeah even Stevie Wonder can see that every 100,000 years it gets really cold (ice age) followed by a period of global warming which we can see from soil samples if we chose to see and understand nature and its cycles.:whew:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bobclive2 said:

Are you real, it`s a discussion between two eminent climate scientists with apposing  views, how can you possible form a valid opinion by only listing to one side of a discussion.

Let's consider the reason why is this "discussion" out in the public domain?  Why isn't this topic treated like string theory, where uncertainties are examined by publishing peer reviewed papers in scientific journals?

As you've pointed out, it smells like tobacco industry strategy spreading once again. Or do you plan to turn around and say smoking is not bad for you? Or asbestos is not harmful?

15 hours ago, Bobclive2 said:

The book Merchants of Doubt, by Naomi Oreskes, was made into a box office bomb (it crashed). But, darkly, it has an ongoing life in our schools. Tony Thomas uncovers the push to put propaganda in front of children, dressed up as education.  The director of the film tells the world that his aim is to stop skeptics from being broadcast on TV. (Because that’s what you do when you can’t win a fair debate eh?)

This film was never about science, but about doing exactly what it claims to “expose”. (It’s projection all the way down.) The real merchants of doubt are those that seed doubts about honest whistleblower scientists, using character assassination, namecalling, tenuous associations, innuendo and allusion instead of scientific arguments. They don’t find a scientific fault in anything skeptics say, but resort to twenty year old false tobacco smears.

http://joannenova.com.au/2015/08/merchants-of-doubt-insidious-propaganda-in-schools/

Let me get this straight, you (or the obscure Australia article you've c&p) are suggesting we should place our trust in a small number of "honest" whistleblower scientists who use mass media to broadcast their opposing views. As opposed to vast majority of scientists who use peer-reviewed journals to publish their findings.

Also, you seems to place more importance on dramatised film rather than the contents of the book, completely missing the point on the purpose of the book.

16 hours ago, Bobclive2 said:

This is hilarious,  Met scientist predicting a 0.3 degree temperature rise, actual rise 0.04 degrees, the comments are worth reading, the Met had then a £97 million super computer.

You are employing people to read youtube comments as..... support for your view?

Do you have any idea how the scientific process works? How the science community actually work out disagreements? What is involved with peer reviewing a paper?

Let me say this a final time, and I'm out. We, as the public, are not qualified to make a judgment on climate change. A few loud scientists does not make a side of debate/argument/discussion. This isn't a he said/she said situation, unfortunately the public and political figures does not understand this. The general scientific consensus from vast majority of peer reviewed papers is that climate change is happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has to be one of the strangest..daftest threads Iv seen on here, firstly stop start isn't hard to get used to, its good for so many reasons like saving fuel and can be turned off with the press of a button.

One day you will want to change the car and that will probably bite you on the arse.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenie58 said:

This has to be one of the strangest..daftest threads Iv seen on here, firstly stop start isn't hard to get used to, its good for so many reasons like saving fuel and can be turned off with the press of a button.

One day you will want to change the car and that will probably bite you on the arse.  

yes it seems the climate change fear mongers are blaming the turning off of stop start on the destruction of the environment... bizarre :fubar:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

In the sticky thread at the top of this forum...

Permanently disable start/stop

15 hours ago, Luptonian said:

Aaah! Worth pursuing that. Father in law might be interested too. Another DSG'd Octavia owner.

The other option is to fit something that will remember the current state of start/stop so it can be defaulted to off if you wish.

Start Stop memory module

• Like 1

Having read through all seven pages on this subject, it seems the members are pretty much split in leaving start/stop on or off.  Living in a rural area, I tend to switch it off as waits at junctions tend to be short.  If I go into say, Bristol, where there are lots of traffic lights and long waits, I switch it on again.  My start up drill is, power on for camera, switch on camera, ignition on, start/ stop off, start engine.

2 hours ago, Oldmansomerset said:

Having read through all seven pages on this subject, it seems the members are pretty much split in leaving start/stop on or off.  Living in a rural area, I tend to switch it off as waits at junctions tend to be short.  If I go into say, Bristol, where there are lots of traffic lights and long waits, I switch it on again.  My start up drill is, power on for camera, switch on camera, ignition on, start/ stop off, start engine.

well this is it...

city living = on ?

country living = off?

5 minutes ago, Rodge said:

I've never turned it off, but I usually cycle anyway. The car sits on the drive for weeks at a time.

Hopefully you don't cycle on pavements like the idiot who nearly knocked me over today walking to the shops (he was doing at least 20mph). What a selfish moron.:thumbdown:

56 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Hopefully you don't cycle on pavements like the idiot who nearly knocked me over today walking to the shops (he was doing at least 20mph). What a selfish moron.:thumbdown:

There’s your first mistake right there :nod:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Hopefully you give way at roundabouts unlike the idiot who nearly ran me over today cycling to work (there was a traffic jam and he had nowhere to go on the roundabout). What a selfish moron.:thumbdown:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maffyou said:

There’s your first mistake right there :nod:

I always walk to the shops. Helps reduce co2 not using a car, good exercise and you spend less because I can't carry more than about £20 of groceries. I have got a mountain bike and never ride it on a pavement (something I expect all adults to obey as a Policeman can fine you £80 if they see you).:thinking:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I always walk to the shops. Helps reduce co2 not using a car, good exercise and you spend less because I can't carry more than about £20 of groceries. I have got a mountain bike and never ride it on a pavement (something I expect all adults to obey as a Policeman can fine you £80 if they see you).:thinking:

Oh I completely agree, just teasing :giggle:

There are some stupid cyclists out there who give decent cyclists a bad name but I have to say I only occasionally see a dangerous cyclist whereas I come across at least one dangerous driver on every single car journey I make. Sadly. 

Don't want to derail this thread further...!

• Like 1

I always ride on pavements where there is no street lighting.  Because you can, and then there are shared pedestrian and cycle pavements and paths.

Also there are utter nutter turbo barstewards doing 'traffic light grand prixs' like grand pric-ks so sometimes the pavement is the safe option as they have FWD, all the gear and little idea.

?

Is it now an £80 on the spot fine for cycling on pavements?

Screenshot 2019-06-07 at 08.59.25.png

Screenshot 2019-06-07 at 08.59.49.png

Screenshot 2019-06-07 at 09.08.31.png

Edited by Skoffski