Carista - can it make the aircon colder?

FabFabFabia

I'm looking at buying the Carista app and interface. Has anyone used this (or a similar app) to make the Karoq's aircon temperature colder? I found during last summer's heatwave that the cabin of my Karoq Edition was not as cool as in previous cars. Thanks!

Thanks, but even on the lowest setting the aircon is not as cold as the Fabia. Carista's webpage does indicate that a setting can be changed ("for hot countries") so I just wondered if any Karoq owners have done this and can actually feel a difference.

1808424463_ScreenShot2019-06-16at7_14_05pm.jpg.a1bb79e10be0f50ae8175299bffa2ced.jpg

According to Skoda official article a read not so long ago, the AC is the same in all Karoqa with only certain SW modifications with respect to the climate. Also EU cars are all said to be set to mild AC changes. 

Therefore such modification could be possible with respective app. 

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/innovation/technology/air-conditioning-hot-facts-about-cooling/

From the article:

The individual ŠKODA models feature the same air-conditioning system regardless of the market. Only the software is region-specific.

and

We distinguish between countries with mild climates and those with tropical climates, such as India and China. Here, the fan start-up curves are higher in order to generate more intensive air exchange. Cars in Europe respond more slowly,” explains Jan Hrnčíř. 

Edited by xyz007
  • Like 1

Am I right is thinking that this is a fuel-saving imposition? I remember getting into a colleagues Renault some 25 years ago - it was a baking hot day, and the Renault was like a freezer. I am not impressed by my Karoq's cooling capabilities ....... but are these rules being applied to all cars nowadays?

7 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Am I right is thinking that this is a fuel-saving imposition? I remember getting into a colleagues Renault some 25 years ago - it was a baking hot day, and the Renault was like a freezer. I am not impressed by my Karoq's cooling capabilities ....... but are these rules being applied to all cars nowadays?

My 10 year old Golf can still get down to 3c at the face vent where as the Karoq can only manage just under 6c and that is with system tweaked with VCDS to 'colder' cooling operation!

A friend of mine has a new Merc and he's not happy with the weak air-con system fitted, not a patch on his previous vehicle.

Given the way the EU interfere with anything and everything it wouldn't come as a surprise to find they've had a hand in the demise of proper air-con in vehicles.

My Karoq Edition currently goes down to 8.3 degrees but I've just bought Carista (£15.99 Amazon) which will enable me to change the aircon setting to "hot climate" (which the dealer offered to do for £55 and then decided not to). I'll post the result again after I"ve changed this. The reason I knew my Karoq was under-performing was when the dealer lent me a 2019 Fabia and the aircon was blistering cold - just what I need for the hot days we'll be getting in a month or two. Why a car a third of a price of a flagship Karoq has much colder aircon astounds and disappoints me.

Edited by FabFabFabia

On 18/06/2019 at 16:30, FabFabFabia said:

My Karoq Edition currently goes down to 8.3 degrees but I've just bought Carista (£15.99 Amazon) which will enable me to change the aircon setting to "hot climate" (which the dealer offered to do for £55 and then decided not to). I'll post the result again after I"ve changed this. The reason I knew my Karoq was under-performing was when the dealer lent me a 2019 Fabia and the aircon was blistering cold - just what I need for the hot days we'll be getting in a month or two. Why a car a third of a price of a flagship Karoq has much colder aircon astounds and disappoints me.

UPDATE - Amazon delivered Carista today and on my 2018 Karoq Edition in a matter of a few minutes I had activated the gauge needle sweeps, audible beeps on locking/unlocking, increased the coldness of the air conditioning (from 8.3º to 6.3º), and deactivated the auto start/stop system. There is nothing technical to learn or decode as everything is in a simple ON/OFF one-line description so if you want to return anything to the factory default you simply reverse the setting you changed. I 'm using the free one month trial that comes with the product. So far, so good!

Edited by FabFabFabia
  • Like 3

Nice one, all for £16.........8.3 down to 6.3 is good but the real action is in the next few degrees, 3c is twice as cold as 6c, that's where I'd like to be........but I doubt that is achievable, outside influence has banished proper air-con, mother knows best it seems?

I wonder if a little extra charge would help?......I recall some years ago having a new compressor on my Golf, just a few miles down the road and I knew it wasn't anywhere near as good as it had been, "it's been filled to the correct level" claimed the service manager. I insisted it should be done again and, hey presto, an hour later and we were back to 3c.

Edited by Berisford

40 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Nice one, all for £16.........8.3 down to 6.3 is good but the real action is in the next few degrees, 3c is twice as cold as 6c, that's where I'd like to be........

Erm no, - its actually only 1% colder.

Absolute zero is minus 273° celcius.

• Like 1

My Skoda dealer checked the aircon during last month's free service and said it is working exactly to spec - even though I told him their new Fabia was much colder. I asked them to change the setting in the software but they said they didn't have the £350 lead to do it. For £16 I did it myself with Carista.

Edited by FabFabFabia

6 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Now if only it could fix your Canton issue! BD

LOL, I actually resolved this issue by playing music off my iPod through the "Onkyo music" app which has a great parametric graphic equaliser enabling me to pull out 6db of the rough 3.5kHz frequency boost of the Canton and this removes all the rough sound. And the Onkyo keeps all my iTunes playlists and has a wider sound than the iPod's sound engine. I also gently prized off the Karoq's centre dashboard grill and disconnected the centre speaker which was narrowing the sound and making it middly and too "forward". Don't need it. So now I'm a happy bunny :-)

My apologies in advance for what might seem like a stupid question from a novice but where is the ODB port on a right hand drive (UK) Karoq as the Carista module looks interesting.

10 minutes ago, Hairball said:

My apologies in advance for what might seem like a stupid question from a novice but where is the ODB port on a right hand drive (UK) Karoq as the Carista module looks interesting.

Drivers side....just under the little storage box.

Edited by Berisford
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Drivers side....just under the little storage box.

Many thanks, I think I'll order one as the air con on my route home this evening from work the car was giving it full blower but but not  at the low temp that my old Yeti did taking a long time to really cool down. One of the disadvantages of a sunroof in the err... sun.

Thanks again.

Update: Order placed, it should turn up sometime this weekend.

Edited by Hairball

We took our test drive in December and I never for one moment imagined the air-con wouldn’t be up to the job........driving down to warmer climes next month....normally I’d be looking forward to the trip......

5 hours ago, Berisford said:

We took our test drive in December and I never for one moment imagined the air-con wouldn’t be up to the job........driving down to warmer climes next month....normally I’d be looking forward to the trip......

Honestly, I gladly help in this topic or in general, but I find AC as is just fine. 

On 19/06/2019 at 22:38, FabFabFabia said:

UPDATE - Amazon delivered Carista today and on my 2018 Karoq Edition in a matter of a few minutes I had activated the gauge needle sweeps, audible beeps on locking/unlocking, increased the coldness of the air conditioning (from 8.3º to 6.3º), and deactivated the auto start/stop system. There is nothing technical to learn or decode as everything is in a simple ON/OFF one-line description so if you want to return anything to the factory default you simply reverse the setting you changed. I 'm using the free one month trial that comes with the product. So far, so good!

Is it noticeably colder with the hot country setting turned on? 

Just now, kerbero5 said:

Is it noticeably colder with the hot country setting turned on? 

Since I altered ours there’s not been a suitably warm day in which to try it......i’m hoping  that today else tomorrow will give the right conditions.......however, despite a genuine improvement in the temps at the vents I’m not convinced I’ll be feeling much cooler......the Karoq system seems inherently weak.

After changing the setting with Carista I did notice my A/C feeling a bit cooler yesterday so it has made a difference but if I could make it go even colder I would. Next week will be the acid test when the weather is supposed to be getting hot around 32 degrees.

Edited by FabFabFabia