Citigo Discontinued (except new electric version)

SurreyJohn

New Citigo brochure showing all models now available from stock only

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/23bfab84-bca0-4571-a0d2-8e07a6cfede1/SKODA_CITIGO_Pricing_and_Spec_MAY19.36fb8a3ed2beadb22e40df57398d07e5.pdf

The recently launched electric version will be the only version going forward, and that is probably because an electric city car (the VW Up version) is already paid for in design, slightly newer battery and it will continue as VW group city car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Confirms what we all expected, I think 😥. A sad way to bring the curtain down on what is a brilliant car. We had idly contemplated getting a new one, but with this news I think we'll be holding on to ours for a few years yet. It has changed the way I perceive what a small car is.

• Like 1

Shame. I guess there aren't enough customers willing to pay a few pounds more for a "grown up" city car against the over-styled Aygo and it's French cousins, or the bland Korean offerings.  Just leaves the uncomfortable (and dated) Panda.

I'm hoping that the next generation of electric Up! and it's derivatives have a much better range at a sensible price.  I know that manufacturers see their smallest vehicles as just city cars, but a small, comfortable, car is very useful in rural areas too, where a decent range is essential.

• Like 1

There are a couple of factors at play here:

TheCitigo has probably stolen sales from the next segment up in VAG's own product lineup.

New petrol cars will soon be required to have expensive exhaust treatment fitted (PPF) and small city cars are probably just too cheap to accommodate that in a reasonable price.

The small affordable simple city car is heading towards being a thing of the past. Ecomentalisam is not necessarily good for the environment!

• Like 1

Eight years of production,and we all know the car has its foibles.Decent value for what it was,but  it seems the euro consumer is being railroaded into electric.

Whether the technology is up to it,is another thing.Never driven an electric car,but how do these things perform on hills - must be one hell of a current drain.Some one on here will tell me that they are meant for town use,but some rural areas and resorts  have some very steep inclines.

What is the cost of a replacement traction battery set,once they no longer hold charge........

• Like 2

Will be interesting what happens to the prices of used petrol citigo's given that you can't get a new petrol anymore

Not against electric cars but looking around there ain't much charging infrastructure around ..

Edited by steveeeg

There was a day when car makers had the strategy of "driving the customer up": e.g. the Golf owner always replaced his Golf with another one... but the 1st Golf was 3,7m long, then it got to 3,85, then to 4m, 4,20 and now I think it's about 4,40? And the price rose accordingly.

Obviously, as soon as you don't have in your line-up a 3,7m car... you need one. Enter the Polo. And so on. Enter the Up!. Etc.

Now they found the easier(?) and faster way of SUV's.

Unfortunately, the old car business saying "Small car, small profit; big car, big profit" is always true.

I'm afraid a Fabia and a Citigo cost almost the same to manufacture. Virtually all the same mechanicals, same electronics, not very different interior.

But a Fabia can squeeze at least 1000Euro more from client's wallet. Just making an example. The same can be said for any citycar/supermini couple of any maker.

Also, it seems that sensible cars have no (enough) market. Ford dumped the B-max and is pushing the Ecosport (ugh!) Now VAG dumps the Up!/Citigo/Mii.

What a sad day for us "rational" buyers. With two big dogs, I'm afraid I'll have to go back to our minivan days.

Edited by duro
additions
  • Like 1

Ford quietly dropped the Ka. They now offer the bloated ugly turd that is the Ka+. I think VAG tried to push people up a segment by downgrading the Citigo (removing the option of built in satnav). 

33 minutes ago, Chris GB said:

I think VAG tried to push people up a segment by downgrading the Citigo (removing the option of built in satnav). 

Maybe but in its original concept it was a basic city car anyway. Very little in the way of frills. And then over time lots of stuff and options got added. The PID was a great idea but plagued with reliability issues, plus being supplied by a third party meant they were always reliant on someone else for a supply and support. I guess that’s why they dropped it in favour of a poorly designed cradle. 

Very short sited by the VAG group. Disappointing, 100 mile range for twice the price? Also, it must move their point of entry up by a good few £0000.

As of today, Skoda Italy website is "updating" the configurator. Meanwhile, the Citigo is still there with the 60HP/man, 75HP/man and 75HP/auto. No Methane engine anymore.

Same for the French website.

On the German website, the Citigo is listed as selling but you can't configure it yourself: they say you must address to the retailer.

The Up! is still configureable on the Italian VW site but only with 60HP and methane engines (no 75HP).

• 1 month later...

I just got my wife a new white with black roof colour edition, her 3rd Citigo.  Very cool car.

So sad that Citigo is going to only electric but the world is being overrun by fuel guzzling SUVs.  Everyone thinks they need a big car these days, ridiculous when it is clear that the planet is not in a great place.

I really hope she can get into an electric Citigo in 3 years. 

On 23/08/2019 at 21:33, KenL123 said:

the world is being overrun by fuel guzzling SUVs

True, but an electric Little Tikes is not the answer to a use case that is mostly 11 miles extra-urban A road, with some trips at 80 to 200 miles A and dual carriageway.

Just opened the Skoda Italy website. Citigo is still offered as a TwinColor special but... no more Citigo whatsoever in the configurator.

I'm afraid the electric option will be the only one in the future (if any!)

Meanwhile, the 60HP engine has been re-introduced in the Fabia configurator (alongside the 95HP), clearly to somehow compensate the Citigo's disappearance. But I suspect very few will be sold.

Octavia has been re-given the 1.0 and 1.5 TSI options (Diesels only looked too silly an option, given the -22% drop in diesels sales, here)

• 6 months later...

I'm on my 2nd Citigop SE-L, & would have gone for a 3rd.  But I AM NOT prepared to shell out £16k+ for a tiny little  hybrid (with such a limited range) so I'll either buy (I'm on a PCP) my current car & run that, OR I'll go for a petrol-engine car from another manufacturer,  Pity really, as I do find that the Citigo delivers all that I need from a car, but if Mr VAG is getting "green (& greedy) than they've lost what was a loyal customer.     It's somewhat ironic, but as small petrol-engine cars reach their optimum, then the EU slaps a kibosh on them & decrees that "everyone" has to go electric.    & does anyone ask themselves where this electricity comes from??? 

• Haha 1

@Michaelski  Here you go.  http://gridwatch.co.uk 

See which countries are selling electricity into the UK while in the UK companies are paid not to produce any.

It is an Electric Citigo they are selling, not a hybrid.  For a Light Hybrid that is coming in an Octavia and Superb with 1.0 TSI's and 1.5 TSI with DSG's.

Skoda no longer do an DSG Fabia anymore.

Lots of electricity is being generated around the UK on shore with wind farms and solar farms and with nuclear and offshore with wind and with no way to store it other than with hydro or battery.

Windfarms are paid to not generate because of contracts to buy in electricity and to generate with gas, even buying in gas like petrol and diesel is bought in.

Like Oil and gas is used to produce petrol & diesel and electricity.

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 20.37.09.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Now appears the Citigo electric sister car, the Seat Mii is only available from existing stock

No idea why the Skoda version was pulled about 16 months before the Seat version in UK.  Must be something to do with VW Group politics

Before I had my Citigo in December 19 (a 2014 SE 3 door) I also considered the Aygo/107/C1 and the Hyundai i10. I discounted the first three when I saw how small the boot is, which left the Citigo and the i10. In the end it came down to little more than a coin toss. 

As to electric cars on hills, I hadn't really thought of that. My thoughts were firstly using the heater. That must really drain the batteries. And secondly what would they be like in the middle of february at 5 in the morning when you have to leave for work? If you have a dead battery with a petrol or diesel car you use either jump leads from another car or one of those rechargable booster things. With electric you're stuck.

Best not park the car up without enough powerer for the season or weather forecast and then people usually know for their area what winter can be like from October til April    If you have not charged the car or had it charging and pre warming the interior / defrosting the glass and let the battery die then it is dead until you charge it. But that would just be stupid really.      For those that have an EV and can not get around to being sure they have charged or have enough charge the Breakdown services have vehicles that can provide a charge to get you to a charger.  Much like the help they give to motorists that have not enough petrol or diesel in their vehicles to get to filling stations. 

Edited by e-Roottoot