Retrofit steering wheel

Do you have multifunction steering wheel?  This seems to be a requirement for easy swap.  If you do then You just need to swap the wheel and buttons and use the original air bag.

If you don't then you will likely need a new module under the steering wheel as well.  Should be able to do it for not much more than £200.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I thought I was done with the conversion of the steering wheel, and only had to code the DSG paddles via VCDS .....

Unfortunately, things went differently and the DSG paddles could not be coded.

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

The steering wheel looks beautiful in the car. I also bought and assembled DSG extenders.
I liked the white DSG paddles and the green steering wheel controls.

1k0.jpg

Then I started to think about where the problem might be why the DSG paddles could not be coded.
Wrong gateway? Now I have MQB MID GW, maybe I need an MQB HIGH GW?

What seems; the flattened FL steering wheel (2018) has white steering wheel controls and white DSG paddles.
Because this steering wheel control has different functions than my PFL Octavia (2013), I was forced to purchase other green steering wheel controls with the same functions as my current steering wheel + DSG inputs.

So in the end white DSG shifters and green (correct) steering wheel controls with DSG inputs, as I described in an earlier post, I thought this would look OK.

Now I contacted a seller from the Czech Republic, where I bought several parts, and explained to him that we didn't get it coded, with this in answer:

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Does this sound plausible? So white DSG flippers DO NOT work together with green steering wheel controls due to other resistors? Perhaps a cheaper and easier solution than changing and learning a new gateway, but I can hardly believe it ....

And then the question if someone has an item number of the GREEN-colored DSG paddles, so that I can start the search .....

• 2 weeks later...

@Neolithian Yes you can! I finally got it fixed in my own Octavia 2013 DSG-7!

You have to check if your buttons have DSG inputs. Can you see a small connector at the sides where normally the airbag is?

Otherwise you need new/other buttons with same functions, and with DSG inputs. I've got 1 set spare right now!

-------------------------

How did I finally fixed it? Well our Czech friend was right!!!! White DSG-paddles CAN'T communicate with green buttons.

Now I changed white DSG-paddles for green ones, it works as it should be!!!!

I didn't need to code it with VCDS, it just was plug&play.

For the record; I got a 2013 Octavia DSG-7 with a MQB Gateway MID!

So now this is how it looks like...... I'm a happy man!

IMG_1108.thumb.jpg.27469e8039a0723f4af09c9340c5551a.jpg

• 6 months later...

I need help too. I have 2015 2.0.tdi dsg, steering wheel with buttons but without paddles. I can buy steering wheel with paddles but it is from 2013. Octavia. Will it work straight or I need to change something?

Can I simply solder those connectors for paddles to my buttons that dont have connectors at the side?

On 24/06/2019 at 10:09, JohnnyType2 said:

you need to check you have the correct can gateway for a Multi Function Steering Wheel or the functions wont work, the you can use ODBII or VCDS to get the version of gateway. Dont look past me if you need one. i have two spare both CP removed and the correct revision for MFSW controls.

im missing the roland rat joke? i am old enough to remember, i was a huge rat fan but whats the meaning?

Hi do you still have the gateways available?

how much do you want for one if you still have one?

I’m looking at adding a MFSW to my 64 reg SE

Cheers

Graeme

On 22/09/2019 at 19:30, HarrieSkoda said:

@Neolithian Yes you can! I finally got it fixed in my own Octavia 2013 DSG-7!

You have to check if your buttons have DSG inputs. Can you see a small connector at the sides where normally the airbag is?

Otherwise you need new/other buttons with same functions, and with DSG inputs. I've got 1 set spare right now!

-------------------------

How did I finally fixed it? Well our Czech friend was right!!!! White DSG-paddles CAN'T communicate with green buttons.

Now I changed white DSG-paddles for green ones, it works as it should be!!!!

I didn't need to code it with VCDS, it just was plug&play.

For the record; I got a 2013 Octavia DSG-7 with a MQB Gateway MID!

So now this is how it looks like...... I'm a happy man!

IMG_1108.thumb.jpg.27469e8039a0723f4af09c9340c5551a.jpg

Can you please give me item nuber of white paddles? Also, do you know will green paddles work with white buttons? Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 Mk2 VRS with the round MFSW with Paddle Shifter . What parts do i need to get and the steps needed to convert to flat bottomed steering wheel?

cars-equipment has a set that is suppose to work on MK2 according to the descriptions but it does not come with airbag module. Anyone know if the stock MFSW airbag module will fit?

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-4/oem-vrs-flat-bottom-mfsw-steering-2/

Can the MK3 MQB VRS stock flat bottomed steering wheel fit MK2?  

I included a picture of my current steering wheel

20191130_132942.jpg

• 1 year later...

you need to check you have the correct can gateway for a Multi Function Steering Wheel or the functions wont work, the you can use ODBII or VCDS to get the version of gateway. Dont look past me if you need one. i have two spare both CP removed and the correct revision for MFSW controls.

im missing the roland rat joke? i am old enough to remember, i was a huge rat fan but whats the meaning?

Sorry to raise an old thread, but thought a simple question rather than a new thread, I have just fitted MFSW to my 2014 octavia and nothing is working, My gateway is an MQBLow 5Q0907530D, Does this need to be a Mid or High to work? 

• 5 months later...

Hello Skoda owners! 

My car came without MFSW, I have one now... But don't work. How to make it work? Will hardware alone do it? Mine's a manual version... 

4 hours ago, Gabiosx said:

Hello Skoda owners! 

My car came without MFSW, I have one now... But don't work. How to make it work? Will hardware alone do it? Mine's a manual version... 

So I will need VCD? Which I don't have 

1 hour ago, Gabiosx said:

So I will need VCD? Which I don't have 

VCDS or VCP or OBDeleven, or someone mentioned here local to you will usually do it for 'beer tokens'

Edited by PetrolDave

• 3 months later...

Hey Jonny pulling up

an old post but I’m looking to fit a mfsw to my 2016 octavia wondering how ill

ude tidy what controller I have and if it’s a straight swap or if I’ll need a new can gateway? I have vcds so if ya can let me know what to scan also have you still got the right gateways? 

thanks Mark

Just now, Markmccorry said:

Hey Jonny pulling up

an old post but I’m looking to fit a mfsw to my 2016 octavia wondering how ill

ude tidy what controller I have and if it’s a straight swap or if I’ll need a new can gateway? I have vcds so if ya can let me know what to scan also have you still got the right gateways? 

thanks Mark

This is ment to say “how I’ll identify what controller o have” not ude tidy 😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

i wasnt able to program the gateway properly as the guys over here had no idea how to do it using ODIS software so i gave up after two expensive tries. I still have the gateway. I wont use it though and its brand new.  I have reduced functionality but its hardly noticable. The only thing that is fixed is the center dial images and i always have them set MPG and trip anyway.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, does anyone knows if the airbag of a pre fl octavia 3 will fit on a steering wheel from a fl octavia? Have a good deal on all the parts needed to make the swap,my octavia doesn't have multifunction,all the parts should be plug & play, only thing I'm not sure is the airbag. Thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2022 at 11:38, Goncalves said:

Hi everyone, does anyone knows if the airbag of a pre fl octavia 3 will fit on a steering wheel from a fl octavia? Have a good deal on all the parts needed to make the swap,my octavia doesn't have multifunction,all the parts should be plug & play, only thing I'm not sure is the airbag. Thanks in advance. 

Hi Goncalves, did you manage to do it?

I am also checking what I need to fit a MFSW but in my case, in a pre-fl mk3, any information will be welcome :)

10 hours ago, SelfResetInput said:

Hi Goncalves, did you manage to do it?

I am also checking what I need to fit a MFSW but in my case, in a pre-fl mk3, any information will be welcome /cdn-cgi/mirage/edba65b585c03ea8837496604905daaf80fe13159d00a28718b63577f1f90229/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Hi,maybe I didn't make myself clear, my octavia is a pre fl,the wheel im using is from a fl octavia.and yes, everything works fine,the air bag is the same,only had to change the can gateway and the air bag cable, all the rest was done at a skoda dealer and it coasted 40 euros. 

The wheel with multi function coasted 100, the can gateway 65 and the cable 20 plus service 40. pretty sweet deal.but if your car doesn't have cruise control from factory you also have to change the steering wheel ring ,or whatever is called,go for it,it makes a huge difference in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, just bringing back this post, seeking for advise and try to record here all the neccessary steps to install a multi function steering wheel (MSFW) into my car.

First of all, starting point:

• Octavia mk3 State from 2014, elegance trim
  • Steering wheel: 4 spokes without any button
  • Radio: 5E0035867A (swing radio without bluethooth, no unit in the glovebox)
  • Can gateway:    Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 T    HW: 5Q0 907 530 F   Component: GW MQB High   128 1188  Can someone confirm that this is a valid gateway? couldn't find anywhere that is a valid GW
  • Cluster: 5E0 920 750, I guess that is a maxidot, can someone confirm?

So taking this into account, I have two options for the material required

Recycling

• Buy second hand steering wheel with all buttons required

Buy new

• Set of buttons  5E0919719B
  • Wiring between buttons 5E0971584A
  • Frame for buttons: NA

Apart from this, it will be also required:

• Airbag harness: 5E0971584A -> Skoda harness, is possible to fit any other VAG harness with MFSW? like 5K0971584C
  • Wiper switch: 5Q0953513D I could not find just reference for the right switch to remove the trip buttons, only the full set

After this, some VCDS coding will be required, I will post steps required for this as soon as I have done it

(To be confirmed)

Module 16- Steering wheel > 07 Coding >

Any feedback advised will be very welcome!

• 2 months later...

Hi @SelfResetInput

I am at the exact same starting point as you and looking to upgrade to the MFSW. 
Did you finish you MFSW retrofit? 

I have also been looking at the (07) coding of steering wheel module (16). Couldn’t find any obvious boxes to tick in the long coding helper in VCDS. Perhaps it also requires some adaptations…
Did you came any closer to how the coding is done? 

Regards Mikkel