Infotainment retrofitting

16 hours ago, theandywaite said:

Very useful.

Can the Amundsen units be upgraded to a later version with firmware? Or is a MY16 always a MY16?

Amundsen MY16 accepcts only MY16 updates MY17 - only MY17 updates, MY18 - ponly MY18 updates

- MY16 is software 02xx

- MY17 is software 03xx

- MY18 is software 04xx

• Like 1

So If I have Canton amundsen mib1 and want to upgrade to columbus mib 2 or 2,5 I can ditch the amp because it can drive the subwoofer and centre speakers or do I still need to upgrade to mib2 amp?

On 23/06/2019 at 21:03, pab567 said:

Every Columbus unit can drive directly subwoofer and central speaker (although this setup is not officially supported by Skoda).

You have my attention :D please tell me more, I am warming to the idea of improving my speakers now my radio setup is perfect!

9 hours ago, TonisT said:

So If I have Canton amundsen mib1 and want to upgrade to columbus mib 2 or 2,5 I can ditch the amp because it can drive the subwoofer and centre speakers or do I still need to upgrade to mib2 amp?

If you already have sound system by Canton then better change amplifier as each of your speakers is driven separately (active crossover). Columbus can drive 4 channels (doors) via PASSIVE crossover and additionally subwoofer and central speaker. Such setup is used by SEAT - you can see they have three sound system possibilities:

1. standard system (4 channels driven directly from the unit)

2. Seat Sound System (6 channels driven directly from infotainment unit).

3. Beats Sound System (6 channels driven via extaernal amplifier)

What I mentioned is option 2 which is not used in SKODA - but with some "magic" it can be done with COLUMBUS units as they have required hardware on board. This is not possible with AMUNDSEN units (although SEAT version of AMUNDSEN, also manufactured by Technisat / Preh, can make it - but SEAT versions have required hardware on board while AMUNDSEN not). 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pab! Any contacts in Australia for updating the infotainment? Skoda has told me it’s not possible to update to a newer system in my 2016 Octavia rs. I noticed someone else did it with your help but I’m a million miles away. Is there a tutorial at all for the swap? And if it fails can I just easily revert to the old system and undo any damage? 

are these infortainment able to work , if the car has the the cheap stock radio without lcd? ( i think called blues radio)

is it plug n play or i need to do strange things?

also , my car is not the elegance edition, but ambition which means it has not got bluetooth.

with these screens will i have also bluetooth or i need extra things ?

pic_5E0057187.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Pab and SashaGrace, it looks like you might be  able toi help me please.

I have a 2015 Scout premium with columbus /Canton MIB2 system.:

IMG_5283.thumb.JPG.75cd840b1d664ec5ca15294a05eafb90.JPGIMG_5293.thumb.JPG.85ccdad9751de1b9efa9b4eb9f4e9571.JPG

IMG_5485.thumb.JPG.dc60c7d23f8639a079cfa737a9c7a5ad.JPG

I note thaqt this is not in Pab's list above?  BTW I am in Australia FWIW

My issue is that the USB connector has stopped working so does not recognise memory sticks or iPhone and no longer charges phones.  Have tried various cables and iPhones - all behave the same way.

I have done a system reset with no change

Iam hoping that a system software reflash or upgrade might fix this.    Is there an upgrade that I can apply?  Do you think that might work?

Any other Ideas?

cheers,  Trevor

Thanks SashaGrace.  So the USB interface has its own replaceable module?

Any suggestions for the best place to get one? Prefer new to used I think.

Or instructions how to get at it?

Cheers

Trevor

First thing is a scan ideally so you can look out for a fault in the external media connection. If such a fault is present I would replace the USB with another. Can get them new on AliExpress or used on eBay. You need to take the radio screen and climate panel out and then the USB clips into the lower dash trim.

SashaGrace I see that there are lots of these available on the web, on ebay from China with "made in poland" sticker and second hand from lithuania...  China looks the cheapest to me.

Had a look at the car and can see that you are right about getting access to it.  Fun.....!

I did do an Auto scan with the latest VCDS yesterday and there were no media errors.  Thanks for the suggestion to do a chanel map of controller 47 and 5F before I start, just in case

Cheers and thanks again for your help.

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again  SashaGrace.  The 5Q0035726E  module has arrived.  I made 4 keys to remove head unit/screen but cannot see how to get the HVAC control panel out so I can get to the USB connector in the bottom of it.  No way to see or reach the back of the module without getting it out.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Thaks SashaGrace.  I have actually purchased a service Manual online and it confirmed your advice.

Problem is that the part I purchased was listed for a Golf with the suffix J instead of E and has a different plug..... 😒   My Bad for not paying attention to the detail.!

Guess I will have to look further for an E variant..

Trevor

IMG_5548[1].JPG

IMG_5549[1].JPG

SashaGrace, They are available on AliBaba for about US$35  but I will get one from the local dealer for about A$105.  pick it up next week.  I will let you know how it goes.

Trevor

• 1 month later...
On 13/09/2019 at 21:57, SashaGrace said:

Try it; might work. I know the E suffix ones work.

SashaGrace, I have finally got the correct part from Skoda Australia - $A106 - and have fitted it today.  Voila!  it is all working correctly.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/07/2019 at 14:07, Joeydae said:

Hi pab! Any contacts in Australia for updating the infotainment? Skoda has told me it’s not possible to update to a newer system in my 2016 Octavia rs. I noticed someone else did it with your help but I’m a million miles away. Is there a tutorial at all for the swap? And if it fails can I just easily revert to the old system and undo any damage? 

OMG, I overlooked this post, sorry. Yes, pls contact me on PM and I will send you contact for Australia

On 12/07/2019 at 15:18, haris said:

are these infortainment able to work , if the car has the the cheap stock radio without lcd? ( i think called blues radio)

is it plug n play or i need to do strange things?

also , my car is not the elegance edition, but ambition which means it has not got bluetooth.

with these screens will i have also bluetooth or i need extra things ?

pic_5E0057187.jpg

Sorry, I missed your post... I believe it should but will probably need CP removal

On 23/06/2019 at 21:03, pab567 said:

Due to high number of requests let me make some short summary of units that can be installed in Octavia III cars. I have focused only on MIB2 / MIB2.5 units, to indicate differences between them.

1. Amundsen MY16 unit 5Q0035864A (without DAB) or 5Q0035874A (with DAB)

2. Amundsen MY17 unit 5Q0035864B (without DAB) or 5Q0035874B (with DAB) 

3. Amundsen MY18 unit 5Q0035864C (without DAB) or 5Q0035874C (with DAB)

4. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035020x (with DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

5. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035021x (with DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

6. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

7. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035044x (without DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

8. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035020x (with DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

9. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035021x (with DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

10. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

11. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035044x (without DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

All MIB2 units (as well as Columbus MIB1 which is not listed here) work with 800x480 pixels screens, either 6.5 or 8 inch.

Amundsen MY16 has old style (rotating, monochrome) menu, with only 1 skin having 5 memory buttons in radio and phone menu. They  don't support for APP key in 8 inch FL screens.

Amundsen MY17 has old style (rotating, monochrome) menu, with 2 skina having 5 or 6 memory buttons in radio and phone menu. It may also support Media Command (depneding on FEC.SWaP codes installed).

Amundsen MY18 has both old style (rotating, monochrome) and new style (pictures, color) menu, with 2 skina having 5 or 6 memory buttons in radio and phone menu. It may also support Media Command (depneding on FEC.SWaP codes installed).

Columbus units have built-in DVD drive and HDD for maps and audio / video files.

Only Coilumbus units can play video files.

Every MIB2 Columbus unit can be reworked into MIB2.5 unit if required. MIB2.5 Columbus requires new 9.2" screen 5E0919606D.

Every Columbus unit can drive directly subwoofer and central speaker (although this setup is not officially supported by Skoda).

"x" at the end of Columbus units model number is letter A/B/C/D. Can also be missing. It makes no difference, just indicates original SW release family.

Every of listed above units can be reworked into Plug&Play version (no need to visit SKODA dealer).

Hi

excellent info thanks.

is it possible to rework the Columbus mib2 from 4 to 5 spec

ie from ...20x to 21x to add the LTE modem.

i can connect my phone as a hotspot to provide internet but lose this if I plug it in (apple CarPlay takes over) which is kind of necessary or the phone battery takes a hammering

also you say Columbus MIB2 can all be reworked to MIB2.5 

could I rework my ....20X (4 in your list) to 9 in your list and what would need doing and is it DIY able (I have VCDS)

thanks

Adding LTE modem is usually not possible as motherboards in units not equipped with LTE modem do not have the connector required to install LTE modem. However, if motherboard is exceptionally equipped with LTE modem connector then it can be done - but I have found such case only once.

4 (3V0035020x) can be reworked into 8 (565035020x). You can not do it by yourself, sorry 😞