L&K spare wheel

Hi all,

I have just purchased a L&K Superb 2014. The car has no spare wheel but a great big hole for one. My dog has jumped in the back and nearly gone through the boot floor. 

Do do they come without a spare wheel? What do other people do that carry heavy loads in the back! 

Spare wheel was an optional extra to save weight (keeping down official fuel economy and CO2 ratings). It should have a polystyrene insert in place of the spare to support the boot floor and hold the compressor and goo kit.

Lots of cars don’t come with a spare these days, if they do it is usually a steel rim with a smaller diameter to the ones fitted to the car.to save cost. Less weight will have a reduction in emissions too which company car drivers look at closely for tax reasons.

If it is a smaller wheel fitted, it will have a yellow band with 50 MPH MAX speed warning.

I have seen a picture of an L&K wheel in a boot, but it looked very tight. 

My car has a steel rim with the same tyre fitted to the normal wheels, I would like to have an alloy spare but they are quite expensive when the steel will do the job.

It usually has a large polystyrene insert which can be removed to allow fitting a spare.

It could be someone nabbed it and sold it on ebay, or it may not have come like that from the factory.

Edited by 3T51704x4

The standard space-saver spare Skoda supply is a 205/55/16 94V tyre on a 6Jx16 rim - it's basically a normal tyre/rim (and stock for some trim levels) but has to be marked with the 80 km/h warning since it's a different size/spec to what's fitted on most Superbs.

I have always ordered my last 3 Superb's to come with a full size spare wheel, I can't be doing with the aerosol can, with a proper wheel you can drop off the damaged wheel for repair while you can get on with your days work.

6 hours ago, chimaera said:

The standard space-saver spare Skoda supply is a 205/55/16 94V tyre on a 6Jx16 rim - it's basically a normal tyre/rim (and stock for some trim levels) but has to be marked with the 80 km/h warning since it's a different size/spec to what's fitted on most Superbs.

My S2 combi 2011 came with a 7J x 16 wheel with tyre 205/55/16.

seems the Superb 18” wheels may also be 7J. However I have fitted 6.5J wheels from my Octy and they are fine with the same tyre size in Winter. Plenty for sale on eBay, 3C0601027 M/N revision which seem to come out of Passats with a slightly wider 215 tyre, I found when looking for Winter Steels. 

I ordered my S2 L&K with the space saver wheel - and was very glad of it when I managed to drive over a metal strip which shredded one of my tyres beyond repair.  In rural southern Italy. On a Friday night. Before a three day weekend.  Getting a replacement tyre was a challenge (in fact impossible).

Having unloaded the fully laden car, I was very surprised to find that the standard 18" Sirius fitted the spare wheel well just fine, albeit with the tyre deflated.  When I finally sourced a replacement tyre (in Athens) I got the fitters to try the wheel + inflated tyre in the well and it fitted fine... hence I've now replaced the space-saver with a fifth Sirius.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

My S2 combi 2011 came with a 7J x 16 wheel with tyre 205/55/16.

seems the Superb 18” wheels may also be 7J. However I have fitted 6.5J wheels from my Octy and they are fine with the same tyre size in Winter. Plenty for sale on eBay, 3C0601027 M/N revision which seem to come out of Passats with a slightly wider 215 tyre, I found when looking for Winter Steels. 

Is your spare a factory or dealer fit though, or one a previous owner picked up in a scrap yard and put in there? The Superb 18s are 7.5J.

4 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Is your spare a factory or dealer fit though, or one a previous owner picked up in a scrap yard and put in there? The Superb 18s are 7.5J.

Sorry was not sure about the 18” size knew they were 7x rather than 6x. I believe it is a factory fit as I have the foam and tools, but as you say could have been dealer or factory. 

18 hours ago, Butler99990 said:

Hi all,

I have just purchased a L&K Superb 2014. The car has no spare wheel but a great big hole for one. My dog has jumped in the back and nearly gone through the boot floor. 

Do do they come without a spare wheel? What do other people do that carry heavy loads in the back! 

Welcome to Briskoda B)

Where did you buy the car from, Skoda main dealer, independent garage or private?

Given that the spare wheel and polystyrene are absent might suggest someone has robbed the spare wheel out of the car prior to sale.

If it was an approved used car from a Skoda main dealer then they're obliged to either put a spare wheel in, or the tyre inflation kit and polystyrene supports.

Seems unusual not to check prior to purchase, was it there before you agreed to buy the car?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Welcome to Briskoda B)

Where did you buy the car from, Skoda main dealer, independent garage or private?

Given that the spare wheel and polystyrene are absent might suggest someone has robbed the spare wheel out of the car prior to sale.

If it was an approved used car from a Skoda main dealer then they're obliged to either put a spare wheel in, or the tyre inflation kit and polystyrene supports.

Seems unusual not to check prior to purchase, was it there before you agreed to buy the car?

Hi,

Yes main dealer in Northampton. 

• Like 1

Unbelievable. Another tick in the box for "what exactly are we paying a premium for by buying approved used?"

At least you have a cast iron case.

They either need to supply you with a full tyre inflation kit, or a full spare wheel kit, depending on what was fitted from the factory.

Try and get a picture of either the first page of the service book (if it has one), or the white sticker down in the spare wheel well, this will confirm the specification of the car when it left the factory. 

If the dealer won't play ball, give Skoda UK customer services a call and ask them to open a case.

• Like 1