How to handle/live with dragon green?

Buy it. 

Drive it.

Enjoy it.

Be proud:thumbup:

Oh and make sure you put black Škoda badges on the bonnet and boot and take the other badges off to make it clean.

Edited by Bud

3 hours ago, freelunch said:

Wow! Nice loaner!

They said they wanted my car for two days and offered me a Citigo.  I explained that the reason I had a Superb estate was that I needed a big boot and couldn’t afford to sit at home for two days. 

Fair play to them, as they’re not even the supplying dealer. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well this isn't helping :) I was half hoping y'all talk me out of it.

Seeing a cat puts the colour in perspective ;)

I agree, DG in a 270 is what it's shouting for, and that's the bit I'm sort of unsure about.

All the pros about finding it are spot on. I guess it is a little like the yellow and greens of before, in it's own way. I'm sat here wearing green trousers, I like green.

Problem is, and maybe it's too good to be true ;) the price seems right, other than it's DG. There is a similar spec in Bril Silver, i.e has the bits that cannot be retrofitted easily, like light assist, lane, heated screen and skipped stuff like virt cockpit and other stuff that can.. a kind of sweet spot and not brand new, not a old 6spd box, so good for 300+ happily ( long term keeper )...

SWMBO asked if I'd seen/driven it, I said no. she said why not, I said I'd buy it. She laughed... now is that a yes or a no?

Suddenly picking DG or BS seems easy.

1 hour ago, ColinD said:

I agree, DG in a 270 is what it's shouting for, and that's the bit I'm sort of unsure about.

All the pros about finding it are spot on. I guess it is a little like the yellow and greens of before, in it's own way. I'm sat here wearing green trousers, I like green.

Problem is, and maybe it's too good to be true ;) the price seems right, other than it's DG. There is a similar spec in Bril Silver, i.e has the bits that cannot be retrofitted easily, like light assist, lane, heated screen and skipped stuff like virt cockpit and other stuff that can.. a kind of sweet spot and not brand new, not a old 6spd box, so good for 300+ happily ( long term keeper )...

SWMBO asked if I'd seen/driven it, I said no. she said why not, I said I'd buy it. She laughed... now is that a yes or a no?

She just gave you permission. Fact. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Just wondering if you are aware of something I'm not Colin ... are you saying that the wet 6 speed is less reliable than the wet 7 speed ? 

• Administrators

From my readings, I'm led to extrapolate the 7spd one has a higher torque rating. Both more than adequate even if you fiddle a little. If you go more, then both need help. For me it's not an issue as there are no sportline plus in the 6style at the moment.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColinD said:

From my readings, I'm led to extrapolate the 7spd one has a higher torque rating. Both more than adequate even if you fiddle a little. If you go more, then both need help. For me it's not an issue as there are no sportline plus in the 6style at the moment.

Thanks for that Colin ... was a bit concerned for a moment as I thought the wet 6 was pretty bombproof at least to stage 1 :)    I managed to acquire one of the last   6 speed 280's which  had the larger columbus system with wifi , heated front seats , F/R sensors Canton , Pan Roof ,  Rear Camera , spare wheel and a couple of other extras last December , 4 months old / 800 miles at £28k  . Plain old Moon White though !!    Amazing car and highly recommended , in fact so good this is my second one ...... 

• Administrators

@Boxerdog1 Aye I think there isn't much in it and final drive seems to be similar. I still don't get how they can quote 39mpg, nothing Iv'e read suggersts it gets close, so all my math is on 30.

Well this was is the one I was going to be looking at, but dealer called to say someone else now... despite me accomodating them in waiting a bit in order to look at it...
https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/superb/20-tsi-272ps-4x4-sportline-plus-dsg-hatch-q4b2cha

It might be a ruse, but I'm of a unstable enough mindset to FU and walk away from it and come back in a few months.

Fortunatly it's a buyers market; sort of. With the new octavia and FL superb means more opportunity for forecourt movements. I'm going to look at a non dcc sportline + too, in std form there are loads of them about, in grey too. A Plus is enough to be getting on with. I'm coming around to thinking dcc is going to be disapointing, if not that, then costly given the roads I use ;)

I think if the above wasn't DG it wouild be 27+ and quite possibly sat outside already :D

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I still don't get how they can quote 39mpg, nothing Iv'e read suggersts it gets close, so all my math is on 30.

I'm usually lucky to see mid-20's when driving around town and/or on short journeys BUT I have seen 41 MPG on a 200 mile drive down the A1 with the ACC set to NSL and free-flowing traffic.  Looking at my tank-to-tank calculations the computer isn't too far out either.   On the same journey (I tend to do it every few weeks) I can and do see high 30's and 40 so it is doable but you have to be disciplined.  I just keep telling myself that there's too many speed cameras/vans and it's not worth my license. 

I would surmise that a 272 would be even better as 7th gear means a few hundred less RPM at 70mph, Vs the 280 which tends to be at ~2200 RPM. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

She just gave you permission. Fact. 

For God's sake @ColinD, get it tomorrow. Before she changes her mind. Remember - it's either that or a Transit :D. I'm guessing Penguin has been married nearly as long as I have as I read it exactly the same way. 

Seriously, we should only ever regret the things we have done, not the things we haven't.  On that basis my current plan is to keep my 190 for an extra year and use the saving to pay for the fuel cost increase when I buy a 272 in 2021. I also have permission :thumbup:.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ColinD said:

@Boxerdog1 Aye I think there isn't much in it and final drive seems to be similar. I still don't get how they can quote 39mpg, nothing Iv'e read suggersts it gets close, so all my math is on 30.

Well this was is the one I was going to be looking at, but dealer called to say someone else now... despite me accomodating them in waiting a bit in order to look at it...
https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/superb/20-tsi-272ps-4x4-sportline-plus-dsg-hatch-q4b2cha

It might be a ruse, but I'm of a unstable enough mindset to FU and walk away from it and come back in a few months.

Fortunatly it's a buyers market; sort of. With the new octavia and FL superb means more opportunity for forecourt movements. I'm going to look at a non dcc sportline + too, in std form there are loads of them about, in grey too. A Plus is enough to be getting on with. I'm coming around to thinking dcc is going to be disapointing, if not that, then costly given the roads I use ;)

I think if the above wasn't DG it wouild be 27+ and quite possibly sat outside already :D

39 mpg is probably achievable in a 50mph zone over 20 miles on ACC Colin ... I tend to get 28ish overall down here in Cornwall / 22ish in a 'hooning' mode and best was about 36 on the 250 odd mile trip back from Swansea to Cornwall when I bought it ...mind you I only do about 4/5000 miles pa so not a big issue . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/07/2019 at 00:55, Bud said:

[...]

Oh and make sure you put black Škoda badges on the bonnet and boot and take the other badges off to make it clean.

+1 I fully agree. This would make Sportline look really consistent.

10 hours ago, daveo138 said:

They said they wanted my car for two days and offered me a Citigo.  I explained that the reason I had a Superb estate was that I needed a big boot and couldn’t afford to sit at home for two days. 

Fair play to them, as they’re not even the supplying dealer. 

You're lucky! When I let my Superb to my dealer. I usually only deserve a Fabia Mk3. And last time, I even had a Citigo 😑 !!! Fortunately, I only needed to go to work and back, without any carrying need... 😉

Geeting back to Brilliant Silver. Does any of you have a picture... I don't see how it looks like... 🤔

Edited by Bap33

12 hours ago, ColinD said:

That is really a stunning car. I would go for it. Too many greys and silvers on the road now.

You don’t want a Superb in silver or grey, you will look like an airport mini cab driver.  (Have you ever seen the approach road to Heathrow on a Monday morning?)

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

You don’t want a Superb in silver or grey, you will look like an airport mini cab driver.  (Have you ever seen the approach road to Heathrow on a Monday morning?)

Ha! Yeah, colours in context: a red Sportline looks great when it's standing alone or running as a support vehicle in a bicycle race.

But, it's not so great when it's parked next to a London bus or outside a fire station...

😐

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Yeah, I feel the same when parked next to a Royal Navy frigate 

Being invisible has it's bonus however. Should you find yourself on a Ferry in the Straight of Hormuz the Iranian Republican Guard will not be able to hijack you.:tongueout:

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Well a little sadly this has resolved itself.

I arranged a test drive last week, for tomorrow at the dealers convenience, the directors wife was using it. No problem when you're free is good for me.

I said, I didnt mind popping down to Mansfield, hour each way, to just see it... No need will be here for you next week.

They sold it today.

Think the guy I use is a bit miffed for me too, or it's a sale he's not got 🤫

If I'd messed them about, I could be understanding, but no... A deposit would of secured it, and been lost if I didn't like it.

That might of been the fourth one from that dealer. Not sure I'll go back. Spread the brisky love around.

Still plenty more out there, just not DG, and going to cost me more. Some good BS from other sales guys today mind.

Interesting mood day... 😟🥺😬😖

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Well a little sadly this has resolved itself.

They sold it today.

Interesting mood day... 😟🥺😬😖

Frustrating, I know. But a good lesson in how this works. I was in advanced discussions on an ex-demo 150 TDI in December  2017 and on the Friday evening had set the dealer the challenge of meeting the £100 reduction I needed  to make the numbers work. I was prepared  to  drive to Darlington from Bristol to pick it up. Apparently they wanted to sleep on it. At 8.30 on Saturday morning a 190 popped into my inbox at an affordable price - in Derby. By 10am, sight unseen on both sides, I'd agreed the trade-in, paid the deposit and secured the car subject to a positive outcome of a test drive. 

You know what you want. When it appears you need *immediately* to move on it, or someone else will. 

Just to be clear - I didn't buy your intended car today!:)

• Thanks 1