Lots of diesel 4x4s available

Andy P

Hi guys. I’ve previously owned a 2009 yeti 1.2tsi, then a 2013 Octavia 1.4tsi. I now currently have a 2016 fabia Monte Carlo. I’ve been considering going back to a yeti, but I’ve noticed the majority of yetis available are 2ltr diesel 4x4s. So I’m thinking is there an issue to look out for with those models ? It’s almost like everyone is getting rid of those models. 

Nothing wrong with mine (Euro6/AdBlue). Couldn't be happier. 

50.93 mpg from new per the spreadsheet. Lives outside but no leaking sunroof.

At recent third service, (24000 miles) disk and pad wear minimal and tyres had 4mm front and 5.5mm rear.

On short, local drives we try to use the Fiat. 

They are brilliant, but make sure you get a Euro 6 one to avoid any of the emission fix issues. Its Euro 6 if it has an adblu tank under the boot floor. 

You have a choice of 110ps 2wd or 4wd or 150ps 4wd

My 150ps dsg does around 50mpg average on longer trips. The 110 2wd manual could see 60mpg or more

If you can get a post April 2017 one the road tax is less and it will have a load of extras as a runout model. You wont find an indoor, monte carlo or l&k after that date though as all stopped earlier.

I was just concerned there may be issues with the haldex 4x4. I think the 110hp diesel would be ideal for me. My previous yeti was the first generation 1.2 tsi. When I purchased it, it had already had a replacement turbo and a timing chain fix but it still used to rattle badly on a warm start up. Plus I had the stone chip issues on the rear doors. Yet despite those problems I have really missed the yeti over the past 5 years since I traded it in. 

I've got a 2ltr 4x4 yeti and I think the only two major flaws I've found are that it isn't self-cleaning and the washer fluid bottle doesn't refill itself automatically. If Skoda could crack those two issues it'd be difficult to beat.

Apart from that mine has been great, 27k done now and nothing loose or broken. No paint problems (well excluding the small m'way stone chip I picked up, grrr, but even that hasn't rusted), no mechanical problems, no electrical gremlins either.

• Like 3

Yes, should've got £200k for it!!  hehe typo of course....2015 .....and not only do I now do short journeys, but also use it to go into the congestion zone in London.  Had no choice but to change to a petrol.

The dealer said it was serviced in January but how do I check that? 

37 minutes ago, twoladies said:

Yes, should've got £200k for it!!  hehe typo of course....2015 .....and not only do I now do short journeys, but also use it to go into the congestion zone in London.  Had no choice but to change to a petrol.

The dealer said it was serviced in January but how do I check that? 

Ask the dealer for proof or a copy of the service record. 

I've had three CR170s, all have been nothing short of brilliant. The current one I bought to keep at the end of the three year finance period.

No regrets - it did a real 47 mpg when on a 70 mile a day commute for 18 months, rest of the time it's averaged mid-40s. Shark remap was done sometime back and I've stayed well away from any emissions 'fix'... Despite being driven 'with spirit' when required or in the mood, the front pads and discs made it to 72,000 miles and weren't completely shot even then. 

Nothing I have owned in the past has come close to doing everything the Yeti can do. When a few months old, it did a trip down to Dubrovnik which I wrote up here (if you want a bit of light reading): 

Now I have a 9 mile daily commute so there was only one option as that really didn't suit a diesel: Yeti stays in the garage ready for the longer journeys and a Citigo Monte Carlo does the daily commute.  

No doubt eventually the UK government and press will suddenly realise that diesels are not the work of the devil and they'll come back into favour again!

Edited by aerofurb
  • Like 2

Nothing wrong with diesels........that was until VAG TRIED TO CHEAT on emissions and that was the beginning of the end or dieselgate as we now know.

Can't believe I am going to view a new diesel 4 x 4 SUV tomorrow. That is normally 3 things I dislike in a vehicle but the current market is awash with some amazing deals and this particular car has 10 miles on the clock and is up for £6,500 off list price so is on my radar at least. Wife will have to put up with a bit of clatter first thing if I buy it for her. Hope she likes surprises most Ladies do.:sweat:

6 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Nothing wrong with diesels........that was until VAG TRIED TO CHEAT on emissions and that was the beginning of the end or dieselgate as we now know.

The only thing VAG did compared to a lot of other manufacturers was get caught. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

That’s alright then?

No, just not fair to aim the blame at VW for bending rules on emissions. They are just the scape goat for a whole industry that was using clever software to get around legislation. 

• Confused 1

They never bent rules.

They along with their accomplices produced cars with 'Illegal Defeat Devices' so that under testing they could cheat and this included with SCR systems in the USA so that they could get away with smaller tanks.

They admitted to their actions being illegal in North America yet say they were not illegal in Europe.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

They never bent rules.

They along with their accomplices produced cars with 'Illegal Defeat Devices' so that under testing they could cheat and this included with SCR systems in the USA so that they could get away with smaller tanks.

They admitted to their actions being illegal in North America yet say they were not illegal in Europe.

I've never understood the "illegal" claims. The EU wrote the "tests" in conjunction with manufacturers, then let them self comply. As long as the vehicles complied with the mutually agreed "rules", everyone was happy. VAG, it seems, seem to have struggled with the EA 189 engine to comply early on, so some "technical measures" were introduced to make them "pass the test".

Not really illegal or devious, more the EU is guilty in allowing this sort of gaming to be established. As said before, everyone was at it with the EU turning a blind eye? I do know a major UK manufacturer was doing stuff to make their software more "compliant" with the EU "tests". Everyone must have been in the happy circle, but when the story broke in the US, people like Bosch distanced themselves rapidly and left VAG out in the cold. 

My take is the EU must take the major share of blame, VAG should have blabbed out the true facts of life straightaway - but didn't, and so became a scapegoat while all the other manufactures scrambled to sort their own affairs.

Just my opinion, so please don't start another debate :yawn: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

The EU Governments and agencies, public / civil servants were complacent in it as they were told various times what was going on.

RDE2 will catch them out even more than WLTP last year was putting a spanner in the works.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20265282

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 10.33.46.png

That's a really good read.

But - it just shows how opinions vary widely depending on facts/personal opinion/etc. Possibly the truth lies by reading between the lines and taking a view based on common sense, knowledge of the few facts you may have.

One thing I'm certain of is the EU sits at the top of the pile of this mess, and they got it wrong big time (among other things :biggrin: )  

VAG sits at the top of the pile of the dieselgate mess along with Mercedes and bmw who all cheated emission levels for profit with a complete disregard for peoples health rather than produce a legal emission diesel engine and it now appears to have run into issues with the 1.5 tsi petrol engine which after only 18 months in production has been dropped from half its range of cars but on the bright side you cant cheat on battery powered vehicles...………………………….OR can they?

Course they can, and with such a large percentage of an EV's price being the battery, well...

You know what they say, if you can't make it, fake it!

I'll bet that right now there are clever people building software for EV's that will lie about true battery capacity, range, etc.  So cheaper, smaller, less efficient, filled with more toxic chemicals, or less technologically advanced in other ways, batteries could be used instead of big expensive ones.  They will rely on most not noticing because they charge every night and use their diesel second vehicle for long journeys.

Oh, no I hear you say, carmakers will have learned the lesson of dieselgate.....

:rofl:

• Like 1