I'd forgotten how much I love this car

We drive similar cars and I have similar thoughts to you about mine.  Having been retired for 1½ years means that if SWMBO wants some shopping, we drive to Merthyr Tydfil or Abergavenny during the day most weeks when it's not too busy and we can enjoy the journey.  She also wants to visit Hafren Furnishers in Llanidloes in Mid-Wales soon, so that's even better with a trip over the Epynt Mountains.

We usually drive to Lithuania each year to visit SWMBO's family and friends which really gives me a chance to put the car through its paces and I look forward to the challenge, but I haven't been able to go this year yet due to ill health, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to go next month or, at the latest, October.  The car is ideal for such a long journey with the comfort, fuel consumption, performance and the load it'll carry.

• Like 1

@Penpusher - my work now requires me to turn left rather than right at the top of the M32, and I have been spending a lot of very enjoyable time in the Principality:thumbup:.  I might just investigate some slightly less direct routes home...

SWMBO is originally from Prague and she has been pestering me to do the journey by car for a while (we spend about 4 months a year there as we have work there, but it is usually spread into short, regular periods so we fly usually). Having endured rather too many low-cost flights, I'm planning on taking the Superb the next time we are there for more than a couple of weeks. 

@freelunch - I can certainly empathise with that. I had a wonderful A6 when I lived in West London. I doubt it averaged much more than 20mph when not on the M25 (I was working in Sutton at the time). 

3 hours ago, Penpusher said:

Abergavenny 

We have family down there, recently had a tour round Tenby and Pembrokeshire. I can't remember the road coming home but bloody hell there was a stretch of about 20 miles with about 10yds of straight.

6 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Just to add a bit of  food for thought to the "thinking of a change" threads... Holibobs meant I didn't get to drive mine for the best part of three weeks. What a joy to get back into it! Wafting down the motorway, comfort and quiet, Canton doing its thing, DSG and all the driver aids making the journey a doddle. I got out of the car fresher than I got into it.

[...]

Like I said - I'd forgotten just how much I love this car.

I fully agree! We flew to our holidays destination and I had to rent a car for 2 weeks. Since we didn't have to drive a lot once there, we had booked something like a Renault Kangoo or similar (most easy and affordable solution to put 3 baby seats on the back row, if you don't want an expensive MPV. Note : I hate MPV's look 🤮).

We were granted a Dacia F*ckster Duster... Sorry, just kidding😄. OK, It's not the same price, it's not the same customers targe and it's not the pointt... But... As BriskodaJeff, I was 'sad' that holidays were over, but so happy once back at the airport to get into our Superb 3 L&K! I really enjoyed its comfort and equipments

• Like 1

@BriskodaJeff  I can attest to the fact that this is a Superb car on holiday. We did a month-long tour to Sicily last September and it was a real pleasure cruise. We used to tour on a motorcycle and I worried about the cost: fuel, tolls, parking and, yeah, it was more expensive. But all that was worth it for the comfort. The car really eats up the miles. Plus, I'd rather drive my car than a hire car.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

We have family down there, recently had a tour round Tenby and Pembrokeshire. I can't remember the road coming home but bloody hell there was a stretch of about 20 miles with about 10yds of straight.

Was it the A482 from Lampeter to Llanwrda?   That road is well known for being a long series of bends with no straights.  I became familiar with it in the 1980s when I had a girlfriend who lived in Aberaeron and I went along that road every weekend one summer before being dumped.😢

16 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

SWMBO is originally from Prague and she has been pestering me to do the journey by car for a while (we spend about 4 months a year there as we have work there, but it is usually spread into short, regular periods so we fly usually). Having endured rather too many low-cost flights, I'm planning on taking the Superb the next time we are there for more than a couple of weeks. 

.We've visited Czech Republic a number of times in our three Superbs we've had so far, the last time being only last year when we visited the Tatra Museum in Kopřivnice.  My first visit by car was in 1974 (before I met SWMBO) when, of course, it was still Czechoslovakia,.  A few things have changed over there since then as well as the name!

• Like 1

I don't put to sport unless I'm doing 120kph+ on twisty country roads >_<. Yesterday I've had so much fun, until I was unable to stop the car before hitting a fox which broke intercooler protective plastic and ran off (this is second time this happened to me in last 2 months)... The stopping distance for the speed I had was very low, but still that speed and the weight of the car takes 70-80m to stop. I tried to avoid the fox but she got scared and after running half road decided to go back on and jumped directly into the car.

In either way this car is true machine for its size/price... The additional sound deadening makes fast driving very quiet and relaxing, which somehow clouds your judgement about how fast its safe to drive. I admit I drive way too fast sometimes without good thought on what could go wrong. I'm going for a test drive for new BMW 5 touring and Mercedes E250d this/next week so I'm very excited to see the difference that the price tags bring on those two, if any in some aspects.

Edited by JackySi

My annual holiday to France is a joy in the Superb.   I drive down from Glasgow and the journey is a breeze in the L&K.

Apart from the aforementioned M25 (and also the M1).  I have the utmost pity for anyone who has to do these roads daily.

I "popped up" to Seaham yesterday, in the North East and would concur with BriskodaJeff's comments.  Pleasure to drive, easy and relaxing. 

@BriskodaJeff

I drove to Chester Zoo today  from Leeds area with , me , my partner , my daughter (in her child seat) and both grandparents.

It was a sedate journey and I averaged 55mpg

It was a sedate journey home and I average 48mpg due to traffic

I dropped them off at home as alas we had missed the local supermarkets closing time but 20mins, so off to local 7-11 Sainsburys it was (6miles away)

After behaving, gently cruising at 70mph with the Canton running at volume 2-3 to keep everyone happy I duly got into mine (190SCR TDI, same as yours), instantly wanged it in Sports mode, turned the Canton up, lowered the window and shot off into the sunny horizon.......   

Totally different beast...

I've contemplated changing her for a Volvo V90 and actually put a deposit down on one the other week, I drove it and it underwhelmed me (D4 form

I posted this in a separate thread  

I drove a Volvo V90 yesterday which has a similar output to the Superb ...mine minced it in standard tune

I put my foot down n the Volvo (as directed by the employee ) the throttle response was better than the Superb but I didn't get that initial surge , it made a lot of noise bit after a while I looked down at the Speedo and it was reading 60mph, I was kinda shocked. I drove the same stretch of D restricted road on the way home and at the same marker point I was doing 75 as my limiter warning message appeared .....

Basically on reflection , is there actually a more complete car than the Superb Estate ?...the answer is actually .......nearly.....if I could afford to run a 280bhp 4x4 then the answer would resoundingly be YES..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get my mojo back with the Superb as the new one is far out of reach interms of ££££ and will need a good 12months to stop being silly money and start to creep down in price. Today's quick burst to the shops after a long sedate drive made me smile again, the engine was warm and loose and the DSG was re-active and it pulled like a train.

I am considering a remap (RSTuning) or a box (Racechip DPUK), but I really want to put mine on a dyno, it's seriously rapid between 30 - 70........BIG SMILES

• Like 2