Which brake discs and pads front?

NumZie

I'm looking to replace my front brakes, but looking at various shops, I'm not sure which ones to go for reg. measurements.

I have a 2015 1,2 TSi 90 hp Combi.

It seems as if there is both 256 mm diameter / 22 mm thick and 288 mm / 25 mm.

For the pads there are even more choices.

Thickness / width / height: 20 - 146 - 55  ||  21 - 156 - 66/71  ||  18 - 131 - 52

Can anyone tell me the exact sizes I need to get?

Most items say for 1ZG or 1ZC - but none of those are listed in my data record attached.

I think I'm going for Brembo.

Customer service data record attached.

Regards

Kenneth

skodaspec_1.jpg

Edited by NumZie

2 hours ago, NumZie said:

It seems as if there is both 256 mm diameter / 22 mm thick and 288 mm / 25 mm.

You can measure the diameter of the disk without taking the wheel off.

You can sometimes measure to height of the pads as well.

This might help with the codes:-

https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29366

Thanks AG Falco

OP, as your car is listed as being a 2015 Fabia, if you look through the wheel at the outer face of the front calliper, if it has FS111 cast into the calliper body, then you have 256mm front discs, on the other hand, if the front calliper has a vertical anti-rattle spring fitted then you have 288mm front discs. The pads are different for these two and then different again for 312mm front disc brakes.

• Like 1

Thanks for guiding.

I'll try to see if I can spot any of those pieces of information.

I tried the decoder, but it only held information about rear brakes.

If I have the 256mm front discs (which I believe are the right ones), do I then need the 20/146/55 pads?

If you have the 256mm discs/FSIII calipers, you want the discs/pads that suit the 1ZG PR code, see 'fitment detail' section of wherever you buy from.

If you have 288/Lucas caliper you need stuff related to 1ZC PR code.

All part numbers are in the second- or third from last pages here: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2015-797/6/

If you're feeling brave, there's a Ukrainian site that gives full PR-code info (all the codes related to your VIN, not just those on the data sticker). 

Sometimes seems to work, other times doesn't. https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/skoda

Watch out for random boobies if you click in the wrong places though.

Edited by Wino

17 hours ago, rum4mo said:

OP, as your car is listed as being a 2015 Fabia, if you look through the wheel at the outer face of the front calliper, if it has FS111 cast into the calliper body, then you have 256mm front discs, on the other hand, if the front calliper has a vertical anti-rattle spring fitted then you have 288mm front discs. The pads are different for these two and then different again for 312mm front disc brakes.

I really can't see anything casted.

On the other hand, I am now pretty sure it's the 256mm based on a quick measurement so the FS111 must be somewhere behind all the dirt 😉

IMG_20190903_165648-1190x1587.jpg

Just now, Wino said:

That's odd, it's usually really clear, like this.

Looks a bit different where two of the outer pad clips sit too?

Screenshot 2019-09-03 16.10.47.png

I have a 15 plate (MY16) with 256mm brakes, they do not have the FSIII markings on them.

Mintex Discs; MDC1019

Mintex Pads; MDB2034

Can get them from eBay for a total of like £56 or so..

Make sure you use lots of grease, and fully disassemble and clean the calipers and the slider pins.

The more you clean it the better, obviously don't get grease on the friction surfaces.

Those discs are also coated with anti-rust paint stuff which so far seems to have done a good job of keeping them in good shape (had mine on front for a year and rear for ~6months)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

That's useful info.

I've been using Mintex brake boxes (discs plus pads set) on a few jobs recently and have been pretty happy with them.

If you get them from this supplier on eBay;

image.png.f13f37cff3bd742bf6cc903dc60f7fd7.png

Chances are you'll get the complete set (i did). It looks like they get the full sets in themselves but list the individual part numbers.

(probably for people who for some reason don't want to change their discs because £36 is better saved than their life if the discs end up failing because they're too thin)

They'll also come with a wear indicator sensor cable, my car doesn't have a connector for that so i just used a pair of flush-cutters to remove the cable off the pad.

They look to be very close to being FS111, and the pads and carrier certainly look like that type of front brake set up.

By the way, any/all Pagid discs I've bought have been coated, I think that initially VW Group called that Geomet in the disc description.

Edit:- Wino, I think that as time has moved on TRW have changed/simplified these castings, from 2017> many/most of these cars ended up fitting front callipers from Mando who seem to ask for less money than TRW did - probably.

Edited by rum4mo

One other thing that I do with every VW Group I've owned or get asked to work on is, ask your local dealer for a print out of CAR DATA - that many paged document lists all options where they exist and can be very handy to have when buying new parts, ie a lot more option codes listed than shown on the build sheet stuck to the car or included with the service book when they existed.

My local Skoda dealers won't hand out information like that. 

It's laughable, I know.

But it sounds like you think I have the 256mm discs.

I consider Brembo, TRW or ATE.

1 hour ago, NumZie said:

My local Skoda dealers won't hand out information like that. 

It's laughable, I know.

But it sounds like you think I have the 256mm discs.

I consider Brembo, TRW or ATE.

Legally they aren’t allowed to refuse. Data held on the system isn’t theirs to withhold and as that info is not printed with the car they are obligated to provide it. 

• Like 1

I asked for the info from my dealer who sent it to me without any questions.  I printed it off as a MS Word file.  As rum4mo says, it is handy to have and has answered a question I had on my Octavia regarding Front Assist being fitted at the factory (it was not).

10 minutes ago, nbramwel said:

I asked for the info from my dealer who sent it to me without any questions.  I printed it off as a MS Word file.  As rum4mo says, it is handy to have and has answered a question I had on my Octavia regarding Front Assist being fitted at the factory (it was not).

I know, but in Denmark they don't give a f*** about that.