Anyone gone from an estate to a Hatch Octy ?

This time last year we were running both, boot size on both good. The estate felt like it was easier to load bigger bulkier  items because of the rear window has less of an angle. Now have just a hatch and boot is plenty big enough for everyday use.

It’s not the boot that is most affected, it’s the rear seats and doors that are the most different. The shape of the doors is different on the hatch and they have extra bits of bodywork that stick out. Harder to open in tight gaps and I always find I hit them somehow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s not the boot that is most affected, it’s the rear seats and doors that are the most different. The shape of the doors is different on the hatch and they have extra bits of bodywork that stick out. Harder to open in tight gaps and I always find I hit them somehow.

Not what I would have expected. How are the seats different?

Me too. I went from a hatch to a combi. For ease of loading really and I like the looks. Having said that , there is little difference in the luggage capacity but a bit easier at garden centres.

I'd a Passat Estate around 2000 and loved that as well.

Edited by gregoir

19 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Why would you though, when the estate looks so much better

Because some people have subjective opinions ;). That, and a non-functional spoiler 🏁

Edited by Ads230
Spoiler love.
  • Haha 2

The estate or boxy SUV looks like a loaf of bread with a nose to me.

I much prefer saloon look, or more specifically "fastback". Love the side profile of A7, CLS and Model S/3.

• Thanks 1

thanks all for your replies - im having a bit of a nightmare trying to choose a replacement car and due to a repricing, which means the estates are not available at the moment, (company internal problem)  the Superb (mk3 superb estate is what i hve now), is not cost effective this time round si im trying to decide what to do.

plus,. going to be getting a dog in the near future so maybe the hatch is not really a good option....

cheers all.

I test drove a hatch 4 years ago, because it was the only car the dealer had with the engine we wanted. I thought the rear visibility out of the hatch was terrible, and there were pointy sticky out bits three quarters of the way up the rear doors which looked just right to hit a child's head.

On more than one occasion I've taken advantage of a 'take it away today and get e.g. 25% off' deal on white goods - getting a 600mm appliance (washing machine, dishwasher, oven, etc.) into the boot of an estate is easy but a hatch???

I really wanted an estate but ended up with a hatch because a fully loaded ex-executive car came along at a price that was too good to pass up. I'm actually really happy with the hatch body style, it's quieter than the wagon and lighter too; so far in 12 months of ownership I've never had anything that won't fit in the boot. That said I still much prefer the look of the estate version and would like one next time

IMG_20181025_183316.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

I really wanted an estate but ended up with a hatch because a fully loaded ex-executive car came along at a price that was too good to pass up. I'm actually really happy with the hatch body style, it's quieter than the wagon and lighter too; so far in 12 months of ownership I've never had anything that won't fit in the boot. That said I still much prefer the look of the estate version and would like one next time

IMG_20181025_183316.jpg

Good effort there, i am really undeciced at the moment to go for a SE Tech with loads of options in Estate form, ie, digital dash, 18 inch rims, tinted glass, reversing camera, net partition, sport steering wheel, canton, plus a few other things,  or a Sportline Hatch... i honestly cant decide...

i prefer estates, but time is against my choice, and options are bloody limited at present.

ps... thats not a man bag is it ? :)

Only had the hatch, but the boot is cavernous tbh.

I personally prefer the looks of the hatch, however wasn't hugely fussed when looking for cars.

Having two kids (2 weeks and 2 years) it easily swallows multiple pushchairs, travel cots, carry cot, bags, shopping etc.

Sure, if you're likely to be loading an estate to the roof then you can't do that with a hatch so easily but how often does that really happen?

For those occasions (likely camping) I'm happy to just get a roof box.

No idea about dogs but I've seen people put dogs in the back of Hyundai i10s so I'd imagine it's not a problem.  

1 hour ago, Alex-W said:

Only had the hatch, but the boot is cavernous tbh.

For those occasions (likely camping) I'm happy to just get a roof box.

Estate plus roof box = plenty of room for 4 people plus camping equipment (and the estate comes with roof rails which make fitting the roof box easier) B)

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Estate plus roof box = plenty of room for 4 people plus camping equipment (and the estate comes with roof rails which make fitting the roof box easier) B)

yeah, i laready have a roof box for my estate superb, plus a 4 bike towbar bike rack !! and we dont have much room at present when going camping either

This was a stop off in France for a few bottles lol - no tent on this trip so had loads of room.

20170602_130403.jpg

Edited by RickTT

9 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

(and the estate comes with roof rails which make fitting the roof box easier) B)

Some do, done don't.

When I was looking, I only saw ones with no rails, and tbh they don't look very nice so I discounted them.

In all honesty I don't think the capacity week make much difference as the estate is actually angled rather than being flat backed like a Volvo estate or something.  The actual volume figure is going to be minor.

The big difference will be the loading lip you get and having to lift stuff over the hatch one, the solid Vs retractable boot cover/parcel shelf plus the lack of extra windows on the hatch if that matters to you.

As for the white goods transport that was mentioned before, the hatch would easily swallow washing machines etc.  My wife used to have a Mazda mx3 and we shifted several washing machines in that, and that was a coupe.  The Octavia is far larger in either form.

I have and the Estate gives a much rougher and noisier ride. I like them though and hope I can get a Mk IV SE L 2.0TSi DSG if one ever comes into existence.

On 06/09/2019 at 09:24, PetrolDave said:

the estate comes with roof rails which make fitting the roof box easier

15 hours ago, Alex-W said:

Some do, done don't.

When I was looking, I only saw ones with no rails, and tbh they don't look very nice so I discounted them.

I've never seen an Octavia III estate in the UK without roof rails (which run front to back).

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1