Android Auto / Apple Carplay not recognising devices

CoolC

Odd one here.

I generally use the Columbus sat nav with my phone providing data for traffic flow. But as that's not as good as Google maps live data, I'll use that via Android Auto if I have a tight deadline to meet.

So, the other day I had the need to use Google maps so plugged my phone (Sony XZ3) in to the USB, but nothing, it was as if there was no phone connected even though it was providing power to the phone still. Odd, so tried my work phone (iphone 8 ) and the same.

Both cables are genuine items that have always worked in the past.

Any ideas where to look to try and diagnose the issue here?

TIA

5 hours ago, CoolC said:

So, the other day I had the need to use Google maps so plugged my phone (Sony XZ3) in to the USB, but nothing, it was as if there was no phone connected even though it was providing power to the phone still. Odd, so tried my work phone (iphone 8 ) and the same.

i know i'm stating the obvious here - but u do actually have Android Auto or Carplay installed on ur mobiles yeah??

2 hours ago, Kenrw8 said:

Likewise is Carplay or Android Auto installed on the Colombus

U don't/can't install these apps on the Columbus.

If u have SmartLink, it will have the ability to do Android-Auto/Carplay/MirrorLink.

It all depends on the phone.

• Thanks 1

Phones are a Sony XZ3 and Apple iPhone8 which have Android Auto and Carplay installed. Both have worked fine in the recent past and both are being connected with genuine leads which again have worked in the recent past.

The only thing that has changed is that in the meantime, both phones have had software updates.

Both phones have bluetooth and are connected to the car at all times for calls etc.

I have two very occasional problems:

1. The multimedia system doesn’t “see” my iPhone even though it worked fine on the previous journey. I either have to switch the car right off (annoying if I’ve already started driving) or reboot the multimedia system (hold on/off button for about 10s).

2. My iPhone occasionally decides it won’t enable CarPlay without unlocking the phone first (despite the setting being set to allow when locked, or whatever the setting is...)

Maybe one of these will help you?

FYI if your phone is not connected hit the icon in the bottom left hand corner of the Smart view screen and see if it's there 

Mine randomly doesn't connect but it'll see the phone I select it and it then connect with no issues

If not the check the Bluetooth settings, try forgetting it on your phone and the car and reattach.

Try a different cable , they can fail .....sad but true

Also try doing a hard reset if your Columbus by pressing and holding the power/volume switch for 10-15 seconds and let it reboot 

Another FYI my Pixel 2 XL has been updated to Android 10, there is not a native Android App anymore it's baked into the OS thus it doesn't appear in the app draw anymore 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to this.

I've tried multiple phones (mine/wife's/daughter's) and various good cables, but still nothing. 

I'm convinced it's the car unit where the problem is. Checking if there is an update, but it's not saying there is when searching.

It should be ready for a service soon (just clicked over 35.000 miles) so will get the dealer to have a look and feedback here.