Octavia vs mondeo

50 minutes ago, MC Bodge said:

This is a comical thread. 

It is about manufacturers of cars, not religion.... 

Religion ????????

It is actually about the unlikely comparison of a Mondeo to a Octavia. However if you don’t agree the Octavia is better some cannot handle it snd resort to crass comments and pathetic personal attacks. Seems the Skoda stigma is alive and well. 

53 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

You got the spelling slightly wrong it's CASHCOW.:thumbup:

Cashcow? Never heard of any problems with them whatsoever and always been a top 6 seller. Plus it’s built in gods country so that must make it vastly superior 👍

Edited by teescom09

4 hours ago, skomaz said:

The difference is that the Skoda's tend to get the older 'proven' technology which means they can be more reliable than the VW / Audi's with the newer stuff.

Having owned Audi's, VW's and Skodas. (18 in total) I don't really agree. It's true that the higher up the ladder you go the more complex you get but I think we are still looking at expectations.

If I have a wheel bearing replaced on my £17k Octavia or sensor fault on my Yeti which I'm leasing for £99 a month then my customer satisfaction rating is not dented to much. (Both happened)

But if I have a wheel bearing fail on my 2 year old £45k S5 or a sensor fault on my £450 a month Passat, I'll likely be a lot more annoyed. (Didn't have these faults)

5 hours ago, teescom09 said:

You cannot get a 250/40 hp Mondeo and haven't been able to for years. Otherwise I would have got one for work before the Octavia. 

You can....  take a look on autotrader.

There's not a huge amount, but up until last year it seems there was a 238bhp 2.0 Ecoboost, available in various trim levels.

They're going for less money than the same age vRS now for some reason.  I can guess why, but I don't want to fuel the debate any more.

2 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Either your just being silly or maybe you’re not very old and lack a bit of experience, not trying to be personal but you did it yet again, just can’t resist can you. I have first hand experience of the cars I refer too, not my grandad had one or my uncle. I don’t make comments on cars I  have no experience ir evidence off. Your description  of Vauxhall is bull****. Not worth arguing about BMW on this site. 

TOP selling car last month? not a Skoda, they’re not even in top 10. It’s the Vauxhall Corsa !!! Outsold the Fiesta by 10% not bad for a awful cheap nasty car ehh?  Unfortunately now owned by PSA.  

And how have Honda lost their way? I mean the Type R is crap isn’t it? 

I never had any problems with Audi they were first class with of mine. but a couple of serious issues with Skoda service which   I won’t go into. Pots and kettles there. 

Im not sure are you just trying to grandstand/troll or just plain incite arguments. 

Also just so I understand your view point correctly. 

Because I didn't own any of those millions of 1.5 turbo Hondas that have been recalled or fell foul of the lemon law it didn't happen? 

Or my uncles disaster of a 635d Beemer didn't happen because I didn't own it? 

Is that what you are getting at?

Personally I have owned an old corsa C and as our farm/beater run abouts ( that's my part time hobby job) we have had Vauxhall cavalier, vectra, Astra and currently a mokka, also a mk5 fiesta (these vehicle I have/had a part share in) 

At my day job we have vauxhall combo, vivaro, Astra (car and van). So I would say that qualifies me to comment. Or because I didn't 100% own these vehicles did they not happen either. 

Just now, Alex-W said:

There's not a huge amount, but up until last year it seems there was a 238bhp 2.0 Ecoboost, available in various trim levels.

They're going for less money than the same age vRS now for some reason.  I can guess why, but I don't want to fuel the debate any more.

Fuel it, why not? Where did you find that? Newest  I can  find on autotrader is 2011, 1.6 ecoboost after!?  If there was and they were cheaper  I think it would have more than a little do with it being a mainstream model and not an ST, if it was an ST it would be a lot more valuable and sought after.  The Focus ST goes for a chunk more than a VRS. The RS for nigh on double. 

I don’t buy second hand so not relative to me. 

11 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

They don't sell because.

The new Mondeo is a comfy cruiser which suits diesel.

The 2.0 Ecoboost came with fairly old school 6 speed torque converter auto which crippled the 0-62 time and hurt economy.

I did try one of these and the 1.5 ecoboost and the 180 diesel powershift before I bought the XF.

9 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

I don’t buy second hand so not relative to me. 

There is one I found on Autotrader at Bristol Street Motors, Bromley, 

BRAND NEW - IN STOCK

Ford Mondeo 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium Edition 5dr Auto Petrol Hatchback

with 237BHP

Skoda ones are called a Recall or Recall Actions and Registered Keepers are not even informed, even DVSA slip but Service Campaigns and Recalls are all mixed up and a damn mess.

Nobody should need to find stuff from Un-official sources, Social Media etc, 

& when a Manufacturer has a VIN Checker they should be trustworthy.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

https://car-recalls.eu/make/SKODA

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 09.07.44.png

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 09.08.41.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

32 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

BRAND NEW - IN STOCK

with 237BHP

Strange. Certainly not available in current model

Edited by teescom09

30 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

BRAND NEW - IN STOCK

with 237BHP

Cannot find any used ones newer than 2011 although autotrader had it listed in two versions 2016. Mystery

Just now, teescom09 said:

Cannot find any used ones newer than 2011 although autotrader had it listed in two versions 2016. Mystery

I've driven new ones, they are not a patch on the Mk4.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201905037588792?model=MONDEO&sort=price-desc&make=FORD&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ng110ee&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Petrol&year-from=2017&page=1

7 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Maybe brought it back? Looks fantastic. Wish it wasn’t red might have been interested. Is it auto? If so definitely not. 

The 2.0 engine is finished, doesn’t make sense. Will check with Ford site. 

That car is old. Sync 2 finished years ago. Expensive too!  

Edited by teescom09

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Having owned Audi's, VW's and Skodas. (18 in total) I don't really agree. It's true that the higher up the ladder you go the more complex you get but I think we are still looking at expectations.

If I have a wheel bearing replaced on my £17k Octavia or sensor fault on my Yeti which I'm leasing for £99 a month then my customer satisfaction rating is not dented to much. (Both happened)

But if I have a wheel bearing fail on my 2 year old £45k S5 or a sensor fault on my £450 a month Passat, I'll likely be a lot more annoyed. (Didn't have these faults)

Fair comment I guess...

2 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

What £27,251 for an 8 year old Ford? 

Exactly! According to what car thry disappear 2017. So two years old maybe. 

Where are the cheap ones? Not relevant to me though, would have to be ST of which there are none. 

9 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

Maybe brought it back? Looks fantastic. Wish it wasn’t red might have been interested. Is it auto? If so definitely not. 

The 2.0 engine is finished, doesn’t make sense. Will check with Ford site. 

That car is old. Sync 2 finished years ago. Expensive too!  

The 2.0 Ecoboost was available throughout the "World Car" model.

But it came with the same gearbox as fitted in the USA, a six speed torque converter box with is siky smooth for the Mericans but hurts economy and performance.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=year-desc&radius=1500&postcode=ng110ee&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=FORD&model=MONDEO&year-from=2015&fuel-type=Petrol&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0

Old mondeo was euro only was it not? 

Current mondeo was US fusion first, years before Ford Europe let us have it here as the mondeo. 

Whats not to get? 

Skoda are minnows by comparison to Ford. 

Edited by Gmac983

Just now, teescom09 said:

I don’t get this world car stuff. Its just marketing bull. Where do Skodas  and all other makes sell, around the world? 

Ford allowed Europe to have their own model upto and including the Mk4. Ford Europe designed the platform, suspension and steering to be best in class for handling and feel.

For the Mk5 Ford wanted to save money so Ford Europe had to have the World Car. The platform was designed to be a comfy cruiser for USA and Asia. Ford Europe delayed bringing it to Europe while they tried to fine tune it for European tastes but they were not able to achieve the same balance and feel as the earlier models.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Ford allowed Europe to have their own model upto and including the Mk4. Ford Europe designed the platform, suspension and steering to be best in class for handling and feel.

For the Mk5 Ford wanted to save money so Ford Europe had to have the World Car. The platform was designed to be a comfy cruiser for USA and Asia. Ford Europe delayed bringing it to Europe while they tried to fine tune it for European tastes but they were not able to achieve the same balance and feel as the earlier models.

They seem to call all Mondeos world cars. You would expect regional variations.

So a world car (Ford) is one that is sold in US ? And not if sold all around the world apart ftom US. Jesus.

My point stands then. Most makes sell in US including Skoda so must  be world cars. 

Edited by teescom09