Cigarette Lighter dual USB Fast Adaptor, Flush mount

I have a dual port USB charger that I plug into the "cigarette lighter" as and when required, mainly because it sits quite proud from the socket - I know, shouldn't be a bother, but it does! :)

Can anyone recommend a dual-port USB fast charger (so I'm guessing around 5v/25w) that fits almost flush with the socket?

Really would like both ports to support fast charging if possible - seen a lot where only one of the ports is fast.

Cheers.

Are you looking for any specific standard? 

Qualcomm QC3.0 for example? Apple Fast Charging? 

I think you'll struggle to find proper dual fast charge certified flush fit adapters as the latest standards for fast charging not only draw a lot of power (so heat to dissipate potentially), a lot of them also operate on varying voltages etc. which no doubt require a good chunk of control circuitry taking up space. 

The fact that the brands I trust for this sort of cheap electronics (Anker, Aukey, RavPower) don't seem to offer one, suggests to me they aren't viable yet. 

They all make a standard 5v 2.4A x2 flush fit adapter, some as you say with 1 QC3.0 enabled but I can't see any with 2.

Cheers.

I'd forgotten that there are a number of charging standards - why Apple are so intent on reinventing the wheel each time is just a mystery.

Both of us are Samsung people - currently have relatively old S8's at the moment, we'll certainly be sticking to Android.

This one jumped to the front while I was searching:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerDrive-Adapter-iPhone-Black/dp/B07PGT7LSR

Well priced and looks as flush as it can be. I think I need to realise that we cannot necessarily get a zero to 100% charge in 45 minutes via the car :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoofa said:

Cheers.

I'd forgotten that there are a number of charging standards - why Apple are so intent on reinventing the wheel each time is just a mystery.

Both of us are Samsung people - currently have relatively old S8's at the moment, we'll certainly be sticking to Android.

This one jumped to the front while I was searching:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerDrive-Adapter-iPhone-Black/dp/B07PGT7LSR

Well priced and looks as flush as it can be. I think I need to realise that we cannot necessarily get a zero to 100% charge in 45 minutes via the car :)

That's what I'd be buying - you'll be pleased to know Samsung only supports QC2.0 anyway (even on the S10 range), as its the closest aligned to their own 'adaptive fast charge' standard, so you're not likely going to be missing out on much potential charging speed with that. 

It seems a real mine-field regarding chargers - the term "Fast Charge" just seems to indicate you chuck more wattage at it and that forces it to charger quicker!

I just found this one:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ISOUL-Cigarette-Qualcomm-Certified-Chargers/dp/B07VK6NLBZ

This seems to be slim but does support QC3.0, so should be backwards compatible to the QC2.0 on my S8.

Is there a genuine issue with leaving these plugged in all the time?

My thinking on a slim one is that I will just leave it there - but if that is potentially going to cause an issue, I'll just stick with the taller one I have and just plug-in when required.

20 hours ago, Gasconman said:

Been looking for something like this.

Really like the look of that one if it came with the lid that's in the third picture down. None of the other photos show a lid 😞

Don't fancy one with a led on it and would like a lid/cap to stop stuff getting down into it.

Isn't the cigarette lighter switched off with the ignition, so no fear of these things heating if left in car ?

I was having a general read around the site and it appears that the front socket remains live even when ignition switched off?

I'm guessing that even if that is the case - even a single LED isn't going to be putting that much drain on the battery so as to cause problems?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

I was having a general read around the site and it appears that the front socket remains live even when ignition switched off?

I'm guessing that even if that is the case - even a single LED isn't going to be putting that much drain on the battery so as to cause problems?

I have one which has leds in the ports and no issues with battery drain on my 6 year old battery. Stays plugged in all the time.

Given up trying to find a flush fit one though that does Power Delivery fast charging for my Google phone. 

3 hours ago, lway said:

Isn't the cigarette lighter switched off with the ignition, so no fear of these things heating if left in car ?

No the cigarette lighter is permanently live, but the battery management system will turn it off if the battery voltage gets too low.

12 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

No the cigarette lighter is permanently live, but the battery management system will turn it off if the battery voltage gets too low.

I thought I'd read in another thread (or maybe a Facebook group) that the 12v sockets aren't monitored, as someone managed to flatten their battery with a 12v coolbox

On 16/09/2019 at 16:28, Gasconman said:

Don't suppose you could share a photo of it fitted please?