What car next?

garyvrs

Been a member for a while and made use of the posts on here often. (Thanks)😉. Not been much of a contributor as my Vrs is pretty much std...and there has always been people who know so much more.

But time has come after 12 years to change cars but I can't seem to find anything that compares to the good old fabia.

Thought abought a Juke Nismo but didn't like the fact you have to rev it to get anywhere.

What cars have any of you guys gone on to buy...and been happy with? ( looking for somthing a couple of years old.)

P.S. Whats my old girl worth...56 reg..88k miles..average condition but unmodded and full service history.

Or do I just keep it and mod the hell out of it.

I had a 54 plate standard 130bhp Vrs Fabia when everyone seemed to be mapping them to 160bhp or more. Thought is was pretty nippy TBH and the only thing I didn't like about it was the large black clouds of soot that shot out of the exhaust when you booted it. It averaged 45mpg which was about the same as my 2015 Vrs TDi DSG Octavia. Been driving a stage 2 Vrs245 for just over 2 years and love it. Currently showing over 500 miles from 50 litres of unleaded which is mental considering it develops 330bhp at 5,000rpm. Has averaged over 40mpg over 25,000 miles so can't complain about running costs. Road tax only £145 and insurance just over £300 fully comp.:thumbup:

Depends how long you want to keep it.....

At present hydrocarbon fuels are cheap and fuel stations abundant. That is because of demand, however. Fast forward 10 years.... More electric car infrastructure, much less business for fuel stations.

If I go petrol or diesel for my next car it might be my last fossil fuel car.... Unless I adopt a project.

J.

Tend to keep my cars for 8-12 years....just can't justify the cost of a battery car...and none of them takes my fancy either.

Had a look at a 1.4 turbo swift...they can be chipped up to 170bhp and 280NM. That could be fun in a car that weighs less than 1000KG.

On 20/09/2019 at 17:45, sepulchrave said:

Just remap the VRS and keep it until you've run it into the ground, it already owes you nothing but that doesn't make it worthless.

leaning towards this but having driven 'new' cars, I like reversing cameras phone sinking and flasher displays.

Just put 4 new tyres on the car a so might be worth spendong £500 on a decent stero/satnav etc

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, garyvrs said:

leaning towards this but having driven 'new' cars, I like reversing cameras phone sinking and flasher displays.

Just put 4 new tyres on the car a so might be worth spendong £500 on a decent stero/satnav etc

Ooooh, pretty lights... 

A Juke !

I used to have a Fiat Multipla, I was glad when the Juke was introduced as there was now a new 'ugliest car' on the road.

The Multipla was designed to be a practical and versatile 6 seater car and was shaped accordingly, God only knows what design criteria the Juke crew were working to.

I'd have to say keep your current car and not have people point and laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, totoro said:

A Juke !

I used to have a Fiat Multipla, I was glad when the Juke was introduced as there was now a new 'ugliest car' on the road.

The Multipla was designed to be a practical and versatile 6 seater car and was shaped accordingly, God only knows what design criteria the Juke crew were working to.

I'd have to say keep your current car and not have people point and laugh.

Two cases of should have gone to Specsavers.:tongueout:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, garyvrs said:

Keep the VRS and pop a double din Dab sterio in that will take a reverse camera and have Bluetooth and CarPlay/android auto.

lifts the interior to almost a modern level.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Keep the VRS and pop a double din Dab sterio in that will take a reverse camera and have Bluetooth and CarPlay/android auto.

lifts the interior to almost a modern levelwas

As I was reading down the list was just about to post more or less the same thing. You'll obviously know your old fab' rather well by now, just keep 'er lit for a few more years yet and then go electric once they become more mainstream and affordable, particularly if you like to keep your cars long term. 8-12 years time will likely see an abundance of ev' s taking to the road and hopefully plentiful charging points. 

Buy a skip, fit Christmas lights and a Nintendo switch, make the engine noises yourself, get a burd to wipe your chin if it gets messy. Skips are ace because they're cabriolets, you can fill them with water and use them to stay cool when it's hot.

Nissan Juke indeed...

• Haha 3

In defence of the Multipla, it was a very versatile car, bags of room for six adults, their luggage and a kitchen sink. Great driving position and all round visibility, seats out in minutes to give a work van. I bought one s/h very cheaply as my two grandchildren used to argue about who was in the front; they then argued about who would be in the middle.

Anyone care to offer just one reason why the Juke is such a weird and ugly design ?

1 minute ago, totoro said:

In defence of the Multipla, it was a very versatile car, bags of room for six adults, their luggage and a kitchen sink. Great driving position and all round visibility, seats out in minutes to give a work van. I bought one s/h very cheaply as my two grandchildren used to argue about who was in the front; they then argued about who would be in the middle.

Anyone care to offer just one reason why the Juke is such a weird and ugly design ?

Wife says it reminds her of a frog like the original Ford Ka which is only good if you are a Princess in a Fairy Tale.:x

22 hours ago, totoro said:

Because its a awful car. If it looks like everything else it wouldn't sell.

Plus they use french engines and have big problems with the timing chains

9 hours ago, stevobeavo said:

Plus they use french engines and have big problems with the timing chains

That's a bit unfair, they use Renault engines, Don't tar them all with the same brush, some of the Peugeot engines have been ok :D

2 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

That's a bit unfair, they use Renault engines, Don't tar them all with the same brush, some of the Peugeot engines have been ok :D

Maybe the odd one or two lol. Going back 15/20 years they made some great engines.

I know mercedes have taken a big hit with reliability with the A class because of the French engines they've put in them haha. 

21 minutes ago, stevobeavo said:

Maybe the odd one or two lol. Going back 15/20 years they made some great engines.

I know mercedes have taken a big hit with reliability with the A class because of the French engines they've put in them haha. 

The two brands I see broken down the most are Mercedes and BMW, I've seen quite a lot of Mercs burnt out on the hard shoulder as well.

Fools and their money are easily parted and Mercedes haven't built a good car since the 90's and the 80's was peak build quality, I'm sure they lost money on every 190 they made, the build quality was absolutely incredible.

• Like 1

O.K....for a few days I got all Giddy and excited that I may be buying a new car but alfer looking at everything on offer, Nothing floated my boat.

As  Fabia owner, it's obvious that I'm not in the bling camp and used to enjoy embarrasing pumped up Audis and BMs on dual carriageways with this 'dull little car', But I'm a little more sensible these days, so thought I ought be sensible and move the old girl on.

My feet have been brought back to the ground as you guys have convinced me that the cash I was going to splash on something else should be  better spent. so over the winter I'll be putting on new suspension...a decent stereo/satnav/reversing camera and of course the mandatory rechip...and maybe get those little signs of age on the paintwork worked on.

Must admit it I've always been a fan of the way electric cars develope torque and even their 'cooking' models have some serious 0-60 times, so it will only be a matter of time ...

• Like 2

On 22/09/2019 at 18:09, garyvrs said:

I'm itching to get a newer car, but the sensible side of me wants to run the one I have into the ground until some really expensive repair comes up. Pretty certain mine is now worth just scrap value given the age and condition. 

A few months ago I swapped out the OE FM aerial for a DAB/FM one as the base was cracking, and installed a Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB. Great to have Android auto and Google Maps. Also added a Viofo A129 Duo dashcam as, hopefully, some sort of insurance against losing no claims bonus, in addition to the opportunity to poke fun at bad drivers and have them on camera. Hoping I can pull stereo and dashcam out and fit to the next motor whenever that happens.