Need mk1 alloy wheel help!

Cleggy

Just aquired the 06 mk1 and wanting to swap the tired original wheels and purchase some new. Ive exausted the forum and ebay, what is a good reliable site for alloy wheels? 

Feels like a minefield out there. Also is it possible to fit 17 as standard or too big? 

Any help much appreciated, thanks

20190927_173802.jpg

What size rims and tyres have you got at the moment? Looks like it might be 6Jx15 ET38 rims with 185/60R15 tyres.

If so, you've probably got the best compromise. Going to even 16" rims will reduce the height of your tyre sidewalls, which makes the ride much harder. By the time you get to 17" tyres, the sidewalls are so low that you are at risk of damaging your rims when going over potholes.

I often see fashion victims running around with 205/45R16 tyres on these cars. Very bad idea. Tyres are part of your car's suspension. 185/60R15 tyres are far more comfortable than 205/45R16 tyres due to the higher sidewalls of the 15" tyres. Also, 16" tyres tend to be much more expensive than 15" tyres, although it depends on the exact size. Some sizes are more popular, and are therefore cheaper.

I'm running 185/65R14 tyres on 5Jx14 ET35 rims and using 34psi front tire pressures and 31psi rear tyre pressures. Very comfortable ride and much better grip than the original 165/70R14 tyres that the car came with.

With 185/60R15 tyres, I suggest you use 36psi front tyre pressures and 33psi rear tyre pressures as the load index is lower on the 15" tyres. The load index on 185/65R14 tyres is 530kg, whereas the load index on 185/60R15 tyres is 500kg. So although you get slightly sportier handling with your 15" tyres, I get more comfort with my 14" tyres. I'm using good quality tyres, so the grip that I get is more than adequate.

The correct size tyre for 15" rims is actually 195/50/15, for 14" it's 185/60/14, but I can confirm that 205/45/16 is crashy on B roads which is why I have 15's fitted and the 16's are in the shed, I haven't tried 17's but they must be useless outside town or on the motorway.

That's what my car has and mine are way worse and more tired than yours. Those are Sprint 6Jx14 wheels which originally came with 185/60/R14 tyres. I suggest sticking with them, maybe refurb them according to your liking? Maybe go OEM+ by using original 15 inch wheels from a Golf/Jetta/Octy and the right combination of tyres if you haven't done much to your suspension. 

I'll have mine refinished in the next few weeks since my car rides fine as it is and I like the styling. It's a bit crashy as it is so I can't imagine how it would ride with 16" wheels. 

Hi all,

Thank you for the advice, on this information i will keep what i already have and purchase some new tyres. I will look at a slight lowering as i dont want be slammed. 

There are literally hundreds of 15” and 16” alloy options out there. If you want to stick to OEM wheels then MK1 Octavia, MK4 Golf, New Beetle, MK1 Leon, MK2 Toledo, Audi A3 can all be fitted straight on (5x100) with 195/50 15 or 205/45 16 tyres 

Edited by Tech1e
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

What is also drivel and dangerous is someone advising on what tyre pressures to run without knowing or mentioning if the car is just trucking around with a driver or 5 people on their way to weight watchers with their dumbells in the boot.

185/65R14 tyres running 34psi front and 31psi rear with a fully loaded car driving at 80mph for hour after hour in the heat of the summer will not fail. If you drive at over 80 mph add 3psi to the rear tyres if your car is fully loaded. T-rated tyres can run at 118mph for sustained periods of time if correctly inflated. Tyres fail when they overheat, which can be caused by a combination of underinflation and high speeds. Slight underinflation (3psi for example) in combination with speeds far below the speed rating of your tyres won't cause your tyres to overheat and fail.

What is dangerous is damaged tyres such as deep cuts and bulges and significant underinflation.

Everyday is a school day on Briskoda ha

Anyway ive managed to snag a bargain on ebay and got myself some Fox fx005 rims. Will provide a pic.

Second hand but my first bought set, bit of cleaning needed. Once again thank you all for the advice 

IMG_20191009_214743_435.jpg

5 hours ago, Cleggy said:

Everyday is a school day on Briskoda ha

Anyway ive managed to snag a bargain on ebay and got myself some Fox fx005 rims. Will provide a pic.

Second hand but my first bought set, bit of cleaning needed. Once again thank you all for the advice 

IMG_20191009_214743_435.jpg

You may need spigot ring adapters if they weren't on a VW group car before.

Check what wheel bolts you need. Shoulder angle etc.

Also need centre caps.

Can get Skoda decals to add to centre caps.

What size are they?

1 hour ago, vindaloo said:

You may need spigot ring adapters if they weren't on a VW group car before.

Check what wheel bolts you need. Shoulder angle etc.

Also need centre caps.

Can get Skoda decals to add to centre caps.

What size are they?

Hi,

They have the adapters included, they were on a seat 1.2 before and looks like just lug nuts. Im going to measure up for the centre caps and are 15 inch. 

On 09/10/2019 at 01:09, Carlston said:

What size rims and tyres have you got at the moment? Looks like it might be 6Jx15 ET38 rims with 185/60R15 tyres.

If so, you've probably got the best compromise. Going to even 16" rims will reduce the height of your tyre sidewalls, which makes the ride much harder. By the time you get to 17" tyres, the sidewalls are so low that you are at risk of damaging your rims when going over potholes.

I often see fashion victims running around with 205/45R16 tyres on these cars. Very bad idea. Tyres are part of your car's suspension. 185/60R15 tyres are far more comfortable than 205/45R16 tyres due to the higher sidewalls of the 15" tyres. Also, 16" tyres tend to be much more expensive than 15" tyres, although it depends on the exact size. Some sizes are more popular, and are therefore cheaper.

I'm running 185/65R14 tyres on 5Jx14 ET35 rims and using 34psi front tire pressures and 31psi rear tyre pressures. Very comfortable ride and much better grip than the original 165/70R14 tyres that the car came with.

With 185/60R15 tyres, I suggest you use 36psi front tyre pressures and 33psi rear tyre pressures as the load index is lower on the 15" tyres. The load index on 185/65R14 tyres is 530kg, whereas the load index on 185/60R15 tyres is 500kg. So although you get slightly sportier handling with your 15" tyres, I get more comfort with my 14" tyres. I'm using good quality tyres, so the grip that I get is more than adequate.

OE width for 14” rim is 6”... or that was just for my 16V 74kW petrol version?185mm tyre on 6” rim have good balance between handling and comfort. 5” rim for 185mm tyre should be just on comfort side, sorry. With 5” rim I would go for 165mm (max, 175mm) tyre.

These tyres i have all ready try, (185/60-15 studded winter tyres)  205/45-16 orginal vrs size and all so 205/50-16 and now i running 215/45-16 and i have now Eibach 25mm lowering springs installed and it look so nice now :)