Recommended disc and pad upgrades?

alff

I have the standard mk1 and need new discs and pads front and might just change the back anyway, can anyone recommend any decent and reasonably priced upgrades that i'd be able to pick up easily?

3 hours ago, alff said:

I have the standard mk1 and need new discs and pads front and might just change the back anyway, can anyone recommend any decent and reasonably priced upgrades that i'd be able to pick up easily?

No upgrades, just try and avoid downgrades by fitting Brembo or Pagid discs and pads rather than cheap rubbish.

• Like 2

Another vote for Pagid. Never had any issues with them and stand up well to corrosion too so keep looking good. 

You won’t get much of a performance upgrade regardless of what make you go for unless you opt for softer pads but that also gives more wear and dust. If you know what your doing give the calipers a good service with new seals and pistons if required and change the fluid. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Munfred said:

Got mintex discs and pads all round on my vrs

Cost a little over £100 from Ebay.

That's a really good deal, managed to find it.. Seems like pagid and mintex are basically the same, or made by the same people, so will probably go with these for £109.99 on ebay. 

Second set of APEC front discs warped on mine after 13 months, so won’t use that brand again. 

Decided to go with Delphi this time as they have a 3 year warranty. Managed to find 312 discs and pads on eBay at £85 down from £165. Probably cheaper for the 288mm discs found as standard on the Fabia. 

On 12/10/2019 at 12:01, alff said:

That's a really good deal, managed to find it.. Seems like pagid and mintex are basically the same, or made by the same people, so will probably go with these for £109.99 on ebay. 

Depends which TPS. Glad i can buy from mine, very useful!

On 12/10/2019 at 12:01, alff said:

Except Pagid are German and Mintex are British...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

Except Pagid are German and Mintex are British...

Ah yeah well take what I say with a punch of salt this was just from a quick google found some people saying they’re both made in the same place!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, alff said:

Ah yeah well take what I say with a punch of salt this was just from a quick google found some people saying they’re both made in the same place!

People making stuff up on the internets, who knew? 🤭

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 22:15, DriverTom said:

I've found OEM VW discs from TPS (dont sell to the public anymore)

The only public that they dont sell to any more is the public that turns around and walks away when they see the notice in the branch stating the above.

If you want to avoid what you may percieve to be a potential confrontation then phone them up and give them the part number and your credit card details and they will bite your hand off, you will become "Generic counter sales" and not Mr member of the public.

They really dont want people at the counter except to collect orders, they are geared up for telephone sales, its mainly foreign taxi drivers that go in and frustrate them, next time I will phone and I reckon there is a good chance they will deliver to me to keep me away!!!!

The pagid and brembos ecps sell are made under licence and not officially ' official pagid/brembos'

Saying that never had a problem with pagid from ecp. Used to fit them on a hire fleet of taxis/mini cabs etc.

Had some issues with ecp brembo stuff but could have been unlucky. 

Avoid the eicher brand. Cheap crap. 

I was under the impression that Eicher were another ECP special brand, but I've seen other unconnected places selling them, I still think that I'd avoid them though.

Edit:- I find ECP useful in holding down prices, but I do wish that they would leave off manipulating established names into supplying parts that were, or found or thought, to be inferior to the real thing.

Edited by rum4mo

30 minutes ago, stevobeavo said:

The pagid and brembos ecps sell are made under licence and not officially ' official pagid/brembos'

Saying that never had a problem with pagid from ecp. Used to fit them on a hire fleet of taxis/mini cabs etc.

Had some issues with ecp brembo stuff but could have been unlucky. 

Avoid the eicher brand. Cheap crap. 

Not sure where you get that information but the Pagid discs and pads I've used have part numbers that correspond to the Pagid catalogue so unlikely to be licensed versions. When I've not had time to get down to ECP and gone to the local motor factors they have produced the same goods from the part numbers

36 minutes ago, stevobeavo said:

Motor trade urban myth, Pagid and Brembo do not license manufacture, why would they risk damaging a hard won reputation for quality by allowing cheap crap to copy their brand identity? It's completely absurd if you actually think about it for a nanosecond.

ECP buy in such vast quantities that they can get rock bottom prices and no-one else can compete is the simple truth.

8 minutes ago, BRUN said:

Both those brands are part of TMD Friction

Undeniably, however TMD Friction are also German and make Pagid discs and pads in the expanded Pagid plant in Essen since closing the smaller Leverkusen plant. Mintex discs and pads are still made in Cleckheaton oop norf AFAIK.

Globalisation is scary, amirite? I just bet they used Chinese investment munny to buy stuff, so really they're Chinese like everything else is these days.