Main stealer

Service today on my ‘18 190 DSG Sportline estate.  ~16k miles

Dealer:  Urgent requirement - new discs required sir (£450), you brake too gently.  The pads are fine though.

Me: Really? That seems more of a warranty issue if the discs wear more than the pads

😧 I’ll get the chief tech to have a look

Me: I think you should

😧  Turns our they’re OK sir, see you in 12 months?

Me: ...

In a similar vein, at my last service the dealer advised an air-con service "Skoda recommendation due to age" at £89.

Further, despite reporting that the tyre treads measured 5,5,5 mm across each front tyre and 6,6,6 mm across each rear tyre, they recommended a wheel alignment check "to preserve tyre wear" at £60.

I have no technical knowledge of air-con, but I feel that if it's working fine (and I always have it on) then it doesn't need any work.

Likewise, completely even tyre wear across the fronts and across the rears does not scream misaligned wheels to me.

So, as far as I am concerned, these two recommendations are simply bogus attempts to jemmy more cash out of  the customer.

The car is going for its first MOT this month so I'll report back what "recommendations" that comes up with.

• Like 1

It's a sad reflection of what seems to be main stealer standard policy. 

Once AC even tried to con me into replacing an unused space saver spare tyre and regarding brake replacement, is just a given that they will claim perfectly good brakes with plenty of life left are shot and require replacement. Also weirdly they always used to let the tyres down to well under the recommended pressure. 

P.S

That was a citroen agent. However AC do have the skoda franchise as well local to me. 

These threads are becoming increasingly common.

Upselling, chancing, trying their luck, preying on the vulnerable, whichever one you choose the desired outcome is the same. They want more of your money.

And how better to do it than with the brakes. Afterall who scrimps on brakes? Who buys a smart price child seat?

The only way this will become an issue is if you complain, we all complain. Email the dealer and tell them you've uncovered their rouse and that it sucks.

Use Skoda UK's online contact form and alert them to their franchised dealers unscrupulous tactics.

You saw through it, many, many more unsuspecting customers won't and are replacing their brakes unnecessarily.

Stop the rot.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/contact-us

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Never had an issue with my local.  In fact, had an AdBlue fault so took it in.  They did the usual fill up, still a fault.  Spent a whole morning working on it, drained the AdBlue tank, refilled, software update, forced regen, still a fault.  Went to get car back and asked "how much?"...told not to worry and given instructions on a routine of putting it into manual mode, into 4th, and drive up and down the revs between 1500 and 2000 and if that doesn't clear it to take it back later in the month.  Fault cleared today...fantastic service from the team at Platinum in Bath (even offered to put my drenched coat in a radiator to dry...).  

To boot, they have a Kodiaq VRS in the showroom, as well as a new facelift L&K Superb...I think I drooled a little too much!  

• Like 1

Hi,

Having bought my first Skoda ever this year, (Superb SEL Exec), which I am delighted with - I am dismayed by the amount of horror stories r.e. main dealers....

Could anyone recommend a good one in the Derby area please - I would be pleased to travel to surrounding areas, for the best one.

Also.… I have just suffered some damage from a "loose" shopping trolley - see attached.  Couldn't have been in a worse position !

Does anyone have experience of similar and if it can be repaired successfully please.

Thanks very much. 

Ouch !.jpg

1 hour ago, Fazer321 said:

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of similar and if it can be repaired successfully please.

Thanks very much. 

Ouch !.jpg

Man that sucks. To be honest that will test any paintless dent removal to the maximum. I doubt you will get it good result. Body shop is your best bet where it will be like new but it won't be cheap.

18 hours ago, wrecked-looking-guy said:

What was allegedly the fault with the discs? Seems like....a bit of a money grab

The classic “corrosion and uneven wear” and “I can’t get this on video as it’s mostly on the inside of the disc”.

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2019 at 13:19, adamjackdrew said:

Never had an issue with my local.  In fact, had an AdBlue fault so took it in.  They did the usual fill up, still a fault.  Spent a whole morning working on it, drained the AdBlue tank, refilled, software update, forced regen, still a fault.  Went to get car back and asked "how much?"...told not to worry and given instructions on a routine of putting it into manual mode, into 4th, and drive up and down the revs between 1500 and 2000 and if that doesn't clear it to take it back later in the month.  Fault cleared today...fantastic service from the team at Platinum in Bath (even offered to put my drenched coat in a radiator to dry...).  

Is your car under warranty? If so then surely it's the least they could do?

On 02/11/2019 at 00:18, cardo said:

In a similar vein, at my last service the dealer advised an air-con service "Skoda recommendation due to age" at £89.

I have no technical knowledge of air-con, but I feel that if it's working fine (and I always have it on)

Air conditioning services are ‘recommended’ every 2 years by the manufacturer, so the dealer will simply follow that schedule. 

Air conditioning does not ever ‘need’ a service, there is no official interval, so just get it done when it stops working.

It’s for sure just an upsell opportunity though, there’s no duty of care for it like a Cambelt or DSG oil

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wardy- said:

Air conditioning services are ‘recommended’ every 2 years by the manufacturer, so the dealer will simply follow that schedule. 

Air conditioning does not ever ‘need’ a service, there is no official interval, so just get it done when it stops working.

It’s for sure just an upsell opportunity though, there’s no duty of care for it like a Cambelt or DSG oil

I was advised that the air con needed servicing and the brake fluid needed changing on the three year service.

I declined both. The air con was working fine and surely they should check the water content in the brake fluid rather than saying it needs changing.

7 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I was advised that the air con needed servicing and the brake fluid needed changing on the three year service.

I declined both. The air con was working fine and surely they should check the water content in the brake fluid rather than saying it needs changing.

On the air con, they’ve just quoted the schedule but it’s pointless to have it carried out so soon so you were right to decline!

The brake fluid change schedule is 1st at year 3, then every 2 years. Whilst it probably doesn’t need doing, i’d probably just do it purely because it’s brakes...

With all this work though, they’re just following the manufacturers schedule, but I agree they should be checking instead of just going by the schedule

Edited by Wardy-

On 02/11/2019 at 13:19, adamjackdrew said:

they have a Kodiaq VRS in the showroom, as well as a new facelift L&K Superb...I think I drooled a little too much!  

Visited platinum on the same day as you it seems and saw the same L&K superb in business grey. 

Needless to say, 30 minutes later I ordered one in the same colour. Great service and I never had any upselling tactics with my Octavia purchased from them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my post earlier this month, the car was in to the Main Dealer for its first MOT and DSG oil change today.

Was dealt with very professionally and no "recommendations" of extra work needed were forthcoming.

Saved a few quid with the £39 MOT and even managed to get the scabby wheel centre badges replaced under warranty!

• Like 1

All dealers are the same on this, wife has had Audis, Volkswagens, Vauxhalls and Fords - oddly Ford were the worst for telling her that she needed new tyres (and she would have believed them) Audi were the best of the bunch but that was 10 years ago.

It is driven by the long service interval and the number of cars which the owner never looks at (the servicing covers it . . . . ) and hence the garage is picking up items that may need doing  before the next service which could be in 20,000 miles.

IIRC National tyres do a free alignment check, they only charge if adjustments are necessary.

@IJWS15

All dealerships are not the same, and not all Technicians / Fitters. 

There are honest businesses out there, plenty of them.  Places with well trained staff that care about customers and repeat customers.

Sadly those types might well leave the main dealer networks where the likes of Skoda UK have caused issues.

Nearly all Tyre & Exhaust centres offer 'Free Checks' and charge for any adjustments required, which usually they find are required..

Local to me there are at least 4 Dealerships, also National Tyre & Exhaust centres with honest and trustworthy managers that in no way rip off customers.

If they did in a small town / community the business would soon suffer.

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 2 weeks later...

Had an issue recently with work identified as needed by the dealer on my company Ford Focus - 'new front disks and pads required sir'. They put the work through to the lease company, who authorised the work. When I picked the car up, I collected the paperwork, which said the brakes had been replaced, and went to the car and checked it over - still the old disks on. Went back in and had a word with the receptionist, whose computer said the work had been done. When she checked with the technician he confirmed the work hadn't been done, and she then told me it had been an 'oversight' on their point. Needless to say I won't be going back there for the next service.