Infotainment screen variations

Hi.... I'm trying to narrow down exactly what preferred specs I want when I replace my car with a used Superb early in the new year, and one dilemma I have is the infotainment screen type, so can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the different screen types and/or software systems ?

There appear to be three different types...

1. The first variety, 5 inch to 8 inch screen built into the dash.  (2015 to 2017/2018 it seems).

2. The newer larger screen which looks more like an ipad and has a button at both bottom corners.  (2017/2018 onwards with the exception of type 3).

3. A variation on type 2 that again looks a bit like an ipad but has the control buttons at the left hand side.

Are there any significant differences between the hardware or software associated with each of the screen types ?

Cheers

There are three types of infotainment system for the Superb, as I understand it, and that might be more relevant to your decision. Bolero is the basic unit and (someone please correct if I am wrong) doesn't have satnav. I believe it is only installed on the "S" model. Columbus is the highest spec and is the one installed in my L&K. There is also an Amundsen version which sits somewhere between the two. I had it on my 2013 Mk2 Superb with satnav. The main practical difference I found was that on the Mk2 Amundsen I couldn't update the maps database myself, whereas I can with the Columbus (not sure if that is also true for the Mk3 Amundsen though). I think there are also differences in the hardware attached to them. My Columbus unit, in the glove compartment) has facility for two SD cards but no SIM slot (came in later - MY2019?). I'm not sure what you get with the Bolero or Amundsen. I also have the upgraded Canton stereo and I think this is only available with the Columbus unit.

My Columbus display has two physical knobs and eight physical buttons (June 2017). It's physically bigger than the one on my Mk2, and I think it's great (pic below). The newer ones are all soft buttons, but I've never tried it so can't comment. Good luck with the search. :thumbup:

20190528_173756.jpg

Thanks for the reply BriskodaJeff...... That sounds more complicated than I thought but I have now found an official guide as a starting point.  Link below....

http://master.skoda-auto.com/models/new-superb/new-superb-infotainment-phase-2#ColumnRepeaterLiteWebPart_2

I would still be interested to hear if anyone has any gripes with either version though.

I’ve had the Columbus that Jeff has above and the newer one with no physical buttons. 

The former is better from a user experience as the hard buttons on the outside act as shortcuts and make menu navigation much easier. FWIW this helps with reducing finger prints and smudges on the screen. 

The newer screen seems to have a better resolution and is aesthetically much nicer, it makes the interior a little more clean, crisp and modern. 

In either case I like the position of the unit as I’m not a fan of the head units that sit off/above the dash like they’re an afterthought. 

So IME the older Columbus is better to use; the newer one is better to look at. 

• Like 1

I would agree with Penguin17.  Having just "moved" to the cleaner crisp display from the buttons on each side, i think i prefer the feel of the buttons.  Also the newer display is obviously made for the left hand drive market.  All the touch buttons are on the left of the display which would be finger length reach from the steering wheel IF you were sitting on that side of the car.  That said, the display is TV quality for me, bigger, and just nicer to glance at, seems to have more customization too.

My latest Superb’s Amundsen has no buttons and it’s a PITA. The ‘touch’ buttons are extremely difficult to hit when you’re on the move. With the old physical buttons, you could rest your finger on the one you want before pressing. With the new ones, you get what you touch, even if you don’t want it. 

Great if you spend a lot of time parked, but not if you actually drive your car. 

39 minutes ago, freelunch said:

Heck! With lane assist and adaptive cruise control, feel free to take your eyes off the road!  🙄

WOW! what a thoroughly reckless thing to say.

Thanks for the opinions guys..... I originally preferred the look of version with physical buttons but the ipad looking type has grown on me recently.  But now your views highlighted some good points and I think I'm leaning back towards my original thoughts.

Cheers

I have the newer style capactive "butonless" Bolero. I do agree that physical buttons are more intuitive to use without looking, but in real-world the only buttons i actually need are "APP" and "Phone", provided the contact is not in the recent list that i can access from the cluster. Android auto/apple carplay are both full touchscreen anyway, so missing the side buttons that mostly aren't even used makes it kinda moot point.

Since the initial car setup from the infotainment i have basically forgotten about it, all the driving related info is accessible from the cluster and music/nav is handled by android auto.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Zoig
My spelling is useless as always